AHL Affiliate?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the Canucks wont be moving their AHL to the NW then Palm Springs makes the most sense to be with the other California teams. Even if Canucks move to Abbotsford or similar, Boise is still a flight away from anywhere. Yes Boise is already established and 'in-territory' but far far enough from all other teams.

They aren't going to decide where to place the team just cause canucks has their AHL on the eastern side of north America as the sole reason.

But it also may not make sense when you think about the whole picture. Do they have time to go through the whole arena building process and get it built before 21-22 season? If not where is the steam gonna play in the mean time?

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
They aren't going to decide where to place the team just cause canucks has their AHL on the eastern side of north America as the sole reason.

It doesnt make sense for the AHL to have isolated teams. AHL doesnt make sense outside of the "Califorina west" unless there is a travel partner. If AHL was to go to the PacNW, it would almost assuredly need 2 teams in the area and only Seattle & Vancouver would move into the PacNW footprint. One of the many reasons Abbotsford failed the first time (isolation & travel requirements). Boise is isolated in any circumstance and does not alleviate travel and desired practice time. Palm Springs has the location but Boise has the existing arena.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It doesnt make sense for the AHL to have isolated teams. AHL doesnt make sense outside of the "Califorina west" unless there is a travel partner. If AHL was to go to the PacNW, it would almost assuredly need 2 teams in the area and only Seattle & Vancouver would move into the PacNW footprint. One of the many reasons Abbotsford failed the first time (isolation & travel requirements). Boise is isolated in any circumstance and does not alleviate travel and desired practice time. Palm Springs has the location but Boise has the existing arena.

It doesn't make sense that Vancouver has their AHL on the eastern side of north America.

If Seattle wants Boise to be their AHL then it'll be Boise.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Looks like there is plans for a 12k arena in plams desert CA (next door to palm springs) that's going through environmental review no idea if that will be built with a ice rink in mind or not

Plan for 12,000-seat indoor stadium and sports complex in Thousand Palms in place

Have you read further on that?

That's a STADIUM. The person proposing this has a primary goal of making his developmental football league work... and also dreams of a USL franchise being involved. The media there haven't been following up on the proposal at all, from what my searches indicate.

Now can the guy be bought? Judging from what I've read, he's a guy with a dream... and I'm half skeptical. I'm not sure he gets to his goal by telling his flock he's suddenly found hockey. Of course I could be wrong. This just screams- at best- a joke to me.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Have you read further on that?

That's a STADIUM. The person proposing this has a primary goal of making his developmental football league work... and also dreams of a USL franchise being involved. The media there haven't been following up on the proposal at all, from what my searches indicate.

Now can the guy be bought? Judging from what I've read, he's a guy with a dream... and I'm half skeptical. I'm not sure he gets to his goal by telling his flock he's suddenly found hockey. Of course I could be wrong. This just screams- at best- a joke to me.

No didn't hear about that. All i heard it was gonna be a 12k facility. Well that brings the question back to how will NHL seattle/OVG get an arena for the AHL approved, built and open Before 21-22 AHL season. That's not a lot of time.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Very good news for Palm Springs and Seattle's new NHL franchise. New arena, new identity in Palm Springs fits with the long term goals that the new Seattle franchise has set forth. Very positive with all things the owners are doing so far with NHL Seattle.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Rumour is Stockton is going to lose the Heat after this season. I wouldn't mind Seattle coming here since the Canucks have locked up Utica for no good reason. It makes no sense why Sacramento doesn't have a team - they could play in the old Arco Arena if they don't tear that place down.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Rumour is Stockton is going to lose the Heat after this season. I wouldn't mind Seattle coming here since the Canucks have locked up Utica for no good reason. It makes no sense why Sacramento doesn't have a team - they could play in the old Arco Arena if they don't tear that place down.

Seattle has already decided on Palm Springs California.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

AHL Seattle is all but confirmed going to Palm Springs. OVG wants that location because it will host a ton of music events as well. Stockton wouldn’t even be on the radar if Seattle wasn’t locked into Palm Springs.

Canucks have locked up Utica because it’s an easy drive for not only every divisional game, but every conference game save for Charlotte. That’s a whole lot more time for their prospects to spend on the ice, in the gym, and sleeping in their own beds. They’re treated like royalty in Utica and have some insane sell-out streak that’s around 200 games. That’s the perfect environment for their young guys, it doesn’t matter to the Canucks if it’s on the other side of the continent or not. Sacrificing any of that for a place on the West Coast with easier callups clearly isn’t on their to do list, and you can see why.

Sacramento doesn’t have a team because there’s no interested ownership group or ice facilities. Sac State was looking at building a possible facility but that never got off the ground. Sleep Train used to have an ice plant and hosted a few NHL games, but no ice has been made since the 90s.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was all in for Idaho, but I guess the circumstances are all pointing towards Palm Springs.

I think the Flames should not own an AHL affiliate because they're just not good with them. Better off selling it to St. Louis or Vegas and take over the Wolves or Rampage. Even though I think Vegas and the Chicago Wolves are a very good fit, just because I find the market works best when they expand within the closest region with a well-refrigerated arena.

I think Vegas would be most likely of the bunch to take on an AHL affiliate if Reno or Utah were to look into getting an AHL team. I also think Nashville should put their affiliate in Memphis and Minnesota puts theirs in Milwaukee.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I was all in for Idaho, but I guess the circumstances are point all towards Palm Springs.

I think the Flames should not own an AHL affiliate because they're just not good with them. Better off selling it to St. Louis or Vegas and take over the Wolves or Rampage. Even though I think Vegas and the Chicago Wolves are a very good fit, just because I find the market works best when they expand within the closest region with a well-refrigeratied arena.

I think Vegas would be most likely of the bunch to take on an AHL affiliate if Reno or Utah were to look into getting an AHL team. I also think Nashville should put their affiliate in Memphis and Minnesota puts theirs in Milwaukee.

Travel would have been insane in Idaho. Location affects prospect development, so it was never going to happen. People were overhyping their existing fan base and infrastructure. The ECHL to AHL jump hasn’t been taken well by some fanbases, including Bakersfield and Stockton. Listed reasons include the lack of competitive games and prospect development prioritized over winning. It’s a big reason why Toledo and Ft. Wayne will never join the AHL. And the existing Idaho arena would need to have some massive upgrades just to become AHL worthy, it’s far easier to build a new arena in a new market and start from scratch.

Calgary owns the franchise and they don’t know how to do it, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t operate it. This is a business, they put the money down, it’s theirs. They’ve gotten their prospects developed and that’s a return on investment, whether they burn the market or not doesn’t matter to them.

As for those affiliate options, Memphis doesn’t have an arena or a place to put one. They also couldn’t support a SPHL team. An AHL one is out of the question. Nashville also doesn’t own their affiliate, a Milwaukee based group does and aren’t interested in selling. And in Nashville’s entire existence, their only affiliate has been the Milwaukee Admirals, so that’s not changing. Minnesota is very happy with Des Moines, not sure why you think moving them almost two hours further away from the Twin Cities is a great idea. Reno has political situations that make hockey a non-starter without $6 million worth of upgrades and still not booking the best dates. Discussions stall, but Reno still hopeful for ECHL hockey team They were looking at ECHL, AHL isn’t going to give them the time of day. Vegas has their Chicago players take the cheap, all day 3 hr non stop flights from O’Hare, they’re not going anywhere. SLC has independent ownership that’s not interested in the AHL, and would have worse travel than Boise so no one is interested in them.

Reactions: UticaHockey

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I was all in for Idaho, but I guess the circumstances are point all towards Palm Springs.

I think the Flames should not own an AHL affiliate because they're just not good with them. Better off selling it to St. Louis or Vegas and take over the Wolves or Rampage. Even though I think Vegas and the Chicago Wolves are a very good fit, just because I find the market works best when they expand within the closest region with a well-refrigeratied arena.

I still say Vegas should reclaim the IceCaps moniker, and switch to Reno as the Nevada IceCaps as their AHL ("Nevada" meaning almost "icecap" or "mountain top covered in snow". Just tweak the iceberg logo as a mountain (I've made my own mock before of it)

I'm genuinely curious what kind of name they'd choose for Palm Springs...

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
IF VGK decided to buy an affiliate and put it in Reno, it might be the Silver Knights (as Nevada is the Silver State). (And they'd probably invest in an on-call plane and pilot to shuttle prospects to/from Reno-Las Vegas. 8 hour drive otherwise.)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I still say Vegas should reclaim the IceCaps moniker, and switch to Reno as the Nevada IceCaps as their AHL ("Nevada" meaning almost "icecap" or "mountain top covered in snow". Just tweak the iceberg logo as a mountain (I've made my own mock before of it)

I'm genuinely curious what kind of name they'd choose for Palm Springs...

I like Palm Springs Scorpions or Sonoran Scorpions

Reactions: uncleben

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Discussions stall, but Reno still hopeful for ECHL hockey team
Professional Reno Hockey Team Looks Unlikely - Arena Digest
Pro hockey coming to Reno? Don't expect it anytime soon

Reno has never been under consideration for the AHL. They couldn't even get anything going for the ECHL. There are far too many off-ice political issues that are a non-starter for hockey of any level. Chicago loves being in Chicago and has cheap, 3 hour non-stop flights all day leaving from O'Hare right down the street from the Wolves arena. Changing from their perfect situation for prospect development to the mess that is Reno for the sake of being in-state is foolish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->