AHL Affiliate Thread - Send them the Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Dundon said in Gold’s podcast that we lose 15-25 training days a year with the prospects because of Charlotte’s high travel requirement. That put us at a disadvantage. Chicago takes plenty of 1 hour bus rides to games versus 3 different flights to get all the players there like Charlotte.

Chicago does give us better facilities and more nhl ready depth players.

So Vegas that has been in the playoffs every season decides to move their AHL team out of Chicago to Henderson, which has to be as "remote" as Charlotte. The logic would be they willingly put themselves at a disadvantage. Not buying the argument.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Was
So Vegas that has been in the playoffs every season decides to move their AHL team out of Chicago to Henderson, which has to be as "remote" as Charlotte. The logic would be they willingly put themselves at a disadvantage. Not buying the argument.
You know that Henderson is as close to all of the Pacific division as Charlotte’s closest team in Hershey? The only exception is Colorado is 11.5 hours. The other 6 teams based in Cali or Arizona are with 4-7.5 hours away. Charlotte had one within 7.5 hours.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

There may be no single argument. Perhaps it's a combination of arguments: revenue, travel, facilities, Don's previous working relationship, strain with the Charlotte front office -- it all adds up, I guess.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Chicago does give us better facilities and more nhl ready depth players

How does this work? I thought the guys that the AHL clubs signed directly were not on NHL contracts. If that is so, any NHL team that wants them can have them if they sign them to an NHL contract. How do we get exclusivity to those players the Wolves have signed?

Reactions: Chrispy

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
How does this work? I thought the guys that the AHL clubs signed directly were not on NHL contracts. If that is so, any NHL team that wants them can have them if they sign them to an NHL contract. How do we get exclusivity to those players the Wolves have signed?

As I understand, Chicago is willing to eat a portion of the AHL veteran money when on a 2 way contract. The Bishops, Browns, Poturalskis type players that are on a two way deal but are considered more AHL veterans than prospects.

We all know that Rod isnt going to bring in a propsect and give them big minutes. So, we could bring in a Bishop like player to play 8 minutes a night and not feel bad about it. Carolina would pay their NHL salary for how many days and Chicago would pay their AHL salary (or a portion) when in Chicago.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Unfortunately Charlotte was always an outlier once the Admirals left Norfolk. I was always hoping Atlanta would make the jump from the ECHL to the AHL, just so we could have a close-ish opponent (and maybe not switch conferences and divisions every year like they did), but it never happened. Never thought it would be a factor in a change of affiliation though because Charlotte-Douglas goes pretty much everywhere there is an AHL franchise, except for little outposts like Binghamton, and during the River Rat days the call-ups always came and went through Charlotte.

Being a Hockey fan in the South can really suck sometimes, this is one of those instances.

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
So is there any idea what the Chicago roster will look like?
Which players are going to be on ice for the Wolves?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So is there any idea what the Chicago roster will look like?
Which players are going to be on ice for the Wolves?
Right now we can only assume we will have the Cotton brothers, Mattheos, Keane, and Ned. I guess we can assume Bean will be there.

we have decisions on:
Lorentz
Smallman
Bishop
Forsling
Forsberg

Reactions: WreckingCrew

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

On this episode of the In The Corners Podcast…C.C. Hawkley and Sean O’Brien welcome on The Sin Bin’s Charlotte Checkers correspondent Joseph Wills to talk about the new Florida-Charlotte affiliation and more!
CHARLOTTE, CHICAGO WITH NEW NHL AFFILIATES

Joseph joins C.C. and Sean to talk first and foremost about the NHL affiliation shuffle between the Charlotte Checkers and Chicago Wolves — the dominoes that fell before, the bad blood that caused the change, and what it means for Charlotte moving forward

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Bump post........is Ahl still slated to start a month prior to NHL?

I wouldn't be surprised if the AHL has no choice but to suspend the season. They may find a way to make it work but I wouldn't hold my breath.

On another note, all these exciting prospects to look forward too and I won't be able to go see them in my town :shakehead

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Uhh so I guess Greenville is no longer associated with the Canes too?

Greenville wanted to continue their Charlotte affiliation, since Charlotte's right next door, so this way they get that feeder train. Canes may loan some of their guys to other ECHL clubs for now until all of the ECHL is playing again.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It looks like the Norfolk Admirals are an independent. They've suspended operations for the upcoming year but if they come back, that's probably who the Canes "hook up" with.

Reactions: DaveG

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Whoever the admirals end up with i hope they don't change these sweet jerseys

norfolk-101617-1.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As I've been saying repeatedly to the doomsayers...everybody from the NHL on down wants to return to status quo as soon as they possibly can. The AHL was always going to return to play as long as the NHL did.
Who were the doomsayers? Isn’t it common sense that if the NHL is returning, it’s likely the AHL would as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad