AHL Affiliate Thread - Send them the Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm a casual fan, and I have no idea who is right or wrong, but this seems like a Huge Waste. Seems like both organizations would be better off together.

The big question now is what becomes of the future of Hockey in Charlotte. I'm not convinced the Panthers will be loyal to this market, especially if say, the owners of the Solar Bears in Orlando decide to upgrade to the AHL. Then what happens with Hockey in Charlotte? ECHL comes calling? No Hockey team at all?

No Hockey in this city would absolutely suck for me, and unfortunately with this decision the worst-case scenarios have a greater chance of happening. As I stated earlier in this thread, there is way more risk than reward here, and what reward there is isn't really worth it IMO.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
You kinda made the point tho ... all they’ve done is win since Dundon came, and you’re not renewing.

It's more complicated than that.

I spent money during the tough years in part because I didn't want the team to leave. I felt an obligation.

Now that the team is successful and more popular, it's frankly less fun to go to games -- big crowds, long drive, and I'm getting older, too, and just like with HisIceness, I'm getting a little pickier about how I spend my time. Watching them win isn't quite as much fun, but watching them lose seems to suck even worse. Honestly, at this point I'd rather be playing hockey than watching it.

I gave my money. I did my job as a fan for a decade. I'll go to the occasional game now, knowing that the org is successful enough to pick up other fans, as the crowds now attest. If they go deep in the playoffs, I'll pay a shit ton for scalped tickets, because now I can.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
From what I gather, it seems like we're not interested in using contracts for the Gibbons-type players to play in the AHL and are using Chicago to foot the bill for those guys while we concentrate our efforts/resources on the higher level prospects down there. Why pay for Dan Renouf when the Wolves can attract a similar player and pay his entire salary?

Could also possibly affect draft strategy moving forward in terms of taking more risks on high level skill in the middle to late rounds in hope of getting a gem instead of taking players like Lorentz, Bishop, Smallman etc. who'll never be more than 4th liners in the NHL at best.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
The big question now is what becomes of the future of Hockey in Charlotte. I'm not convinced the Panthers will be loyal to this market, especially if say, the owners of the Solar Bears in Orlando decide to upgrade to the AHL. Then what happens with Hockey in Charlotte? ECHL comes calling? No Hockey team at all?

No Hockey in this city would absolutely suck for me, and unfortunately with this decision the worst-case scenarios have a greater chance of happening. As I stated earlier in this thread, there is way more risk than reward here, and what reward there is isn't really worth it IMO.
Honestly I'm not too worried about that one or the potential for "no hockey in Charlotte"...we've got quite a hockey history built up and have been top 10 in attendance for a loooooong time. Even if the Checkers franchise leaves, there's always gonna be bottom feeders (in terms of attendance) like Binghamton, Albany, Stockton who could be moved in the AHL. And IF for some reason no NHL team wants to move an AHL affiliate to Charlotte (i.e. Dundon buys Checkers and moves them OUT), I'd say an ECHL franchise is a safe bet (like Norfolk). Checkers (ECHL/AHL) have been in Charlotte since 1993, and before that had an EHL team between 1956-77 (16 year gap of no hockey)

Reactions: HisIceness

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Civian, kinda opens up, but not really about the Canes/Checkers divorce:

Dissecting the Carolina Hurricanes and Charlotte Checkers parting ways

My main takeaway is that she writes that Hamilton and Svechnikov extensions might come in around $9M each...:eek:...ouch
So nothing about that made it seem like there was more to the situation.

Agreed. Either the "more to the story" was clickbait or she is just milking the hidden reasoning for another article or two. Or maybe one/both sides saw her comments and told her "don't report that". This is a big fat nothingburger.

You could finally ask yourself if this is worth losing Svechnikov or Hamilton over

This sentence to end the article. Not even sure how Svech/Hamilton getting signed is remotely connected to whether the Canes prospects play in Charlotte or Chicago.

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
They are moving 20 minutes from me and I can confidently say that I will watch as many Wolves games as I watched Checkers games. Sorry for fans in Charlotte and I get it, but if we have as much control as it seems I dont think it's that big of a deal.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
So nothing about that made it seem like there was more to the situation.
I am afraid @saraciv420 is more concerned with seeming balanced to the front office than insightful to the fans. I get that her access is valuable, so I am not upset. But I will also be skeptical of where her analysis lands in the future.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I am afraid @saraciv420 is more concerned with seeming balanced to the front office than insightful to the fans. I get that her access is valuable, so I am not upset. But I will also be skeptical of where her analysis lands in the future.
Then again if she was told by the Canes FO "the details are right but don't talk about that" you don't talk about it.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Then again if she was told by the Canes FO "the details are right but don't talk about that" you don't talk about it.
I would agree—but why tweet that everyone will see things differently once they know the "details." Again, I don't think we fans should be treated like we are slow (though often many of us often act like it). Either don't talk about it and let the fans be mad or really have something that is meaningful.

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
Was this posted? Reddit so take it with a grain of salt.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-12_18-16-1.png
    upload_2020-9-12_18-16-1.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 11

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I would agree—but why tweet that everyone will see things differently once they know the "details." Again, I don't think we fans should be treated like we are slow (though often many of us often act like it). Either don't talk about it and let the fans be mad or really have something that is meaningful.
No idea, only thing I can think on that is that whoever had second thoughts about her dropping the info when it got to the point of getting ready to go to press.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
No idea, only thing I can think on that is that whoever had second thoughts about her dropping the info when it got to the point of getting ready to go to press.
I am pretty sure you are overthinking this one. In the Athletic article Sara detailed her college logic course then her case for "seeing things differently." It amounted to very little. I am certain that is because there is very little.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I am pretty sure you are overthinking this one. In the Athletic article Sara detailed her college logic course then her case for "seeing things differently." It amounted to very little. I am certain that is because there is very little.

It's posts like these that make me feel like we're gonna beat the Bruins one day.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That reddit story is really, really odd. I don't even know who the Checkers GM is but why would this person call V into his office and scold him for winning the Calder? What logical reason is there for the GM do this? Isn't Khan (the owner) the one who cuts the checks anyways? And Khan sure seemed damn happy raising that trophy last summer, he even took the whole team out to dinner the night before so clearly Khan has no problem dropping dollars on the squad.

I just, I have no words for this. If this story is true then that's just really f***ed up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Likely Russian hackers—the poster didn't appear to realize that Canes paid Vellucci's salary.
Yeah. He was also AGM.

I think it was simply that 1. he likely wanted an NHL job and didn’t see a path here. 2. He’s a JR/Karmanos guy from way back, not a Dundon/Waddell guy. 3. Canes likely offered him a lower salary than he wanted vs. what they thought he was worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->