AHL Affiliate Thread - Send them the Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I've listened to Andrews, who is leaving soon, and Scott Howson who will be taking over, in several interviews recently. They're trying to model for everything.

Starts ranging anywhere from October like normal to January. Which teams may conceivably be able to play without fans. Possibilities of combined affiliates for the year. Starting before the NHL if the playoffs and late season start happen. The possibility of small tournaments being allowed by teams that are ready in some locales before others are ready.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Definitely may not get a traditional season in the AHL this year, but they are putting work in on many possibilities. If the NHL does come back, they'll have to have somewhere to keep reinforcements developing and in shape. It may actually lead to less career minor leaguers if there are less spots for the year.

Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Are you suggesting we might unite the Canes and the affiliate under one organizational structure, or do you think they'll remain distinct and separate?
I've almost wondered if some teams at the NHL level will be allowed to do that for this upcoming year. If teams can't have their AHL affiliate play (whether just at first or period), and can't work out something to have a combined affiliate with another AHL team that is free to play (or maybe none are free to play), will the NHL let teams keep some of their players as a taxi squad almost? Of course, they'd still have to abide by all rules of waivers and such I'd assume, and on paper they might be Wolves or whatever, but maybe they practice in Raleigh with or separate from the team? If they allow teams to just schedule quick weekend tourneys, would something like that work?

I would assume at all costs they'd try to push a situation like when we shared with Calgary long ago, but I wonder. It's obviously too far away to know what the situation will be like. And like I said, they've modeled very late starts in the hopes of fans allowing more or all teams to play. It'll be very interesting to watch it play out.

Reactions: Lempo and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Are you suggesting we might unite the Canes and the affiliate under one organizational structure, or do you think they'll remain distinct and separate?
Lord protect us from that, some fundamental issue is gonna come in between and then heads are gonna roll and it's gonna return to bite us.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
God help us of we go out and draft or sign anyone named Oliver any time soon.
jt2PFAxidU2rnbEa33pOu9qs6JBarVpH77F4U7GfoeU.jpg

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I feel the worst for some of the players. Charlotte > suburban Chicago. There's a reason Chicagoland is losing population while cities like Charlotte are some of the fastest growing in the US.

They’re going to play minor league hockey in the 3rd biggest city in North America as 20-23 year olds.

They’ll be fine.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I hope we don't just perpetually block Jake Bean from a roster spot until an eventual expansion draft. Kid's good enough to prove what he can do.

The Skjei acquisition still makes very little sense to me.

If you have 7 NHL defenseman going into the expansion draft, worst you can leave with is 6. I think that’s the reasoning.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
They’re going to play minor league hockey in the 3rd biggest city in North America as 20-23 year olds.

They’ll be fine.

4th, but 3rd biggest with hockey yes.

Considering some of the alternatives in the AHL, we're debating 2 of the better options here.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

They’ll be fine.
Except they'll be outside of the city right next to O'Hare. Now if they were living in or near the Loop, that would be a lot cooler. Sure they can go to the city if they have a day off or something but it's not really the same.

Chicago suburbs are terrible which is why they lose thousands of residents a year.

Ultimately yes, they will be fine but it's still a downgrade.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I hope we don't just perpetually block Jake Bean from a roster spot until an eventual expansion draft. Kid's good enough to prove what he can do.

The Skjei acquisition still makes very little sense to me.

I've been an advocate for trading Bean for a comparable pick or forward/goalie prospect for a while now. For better or worse, I don't think he'll ever get his shot here in CAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad