GDT: AHL – Amerks vs Marlies – Sat Dec 15 – 7:05PM ET

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - #Amerks G David Leggio comes out to meet the puck the same tme it met Nazem Kadri's stick. Big OT save.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Carter Ashton gets the puck at the right edge on his backhand but he can't lift it over #Amerks G David Leggio. 26.1 left in OT.

Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - To a shootout for the #Amerks and #Marlies. TOR with a 5-1 edge in shots in OT.

Shootout - Toronto 2 (Kostka G, Kadri NG, Frattin G, Colborne NG)
Rochester 0 (Hodgson NG, Varone NG, Foligno NG, Parker NG).

Shootout Goals: Toronto #1 - Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Mike Kostka first for #Marlies in the SO. Sweet move,
to backhand, scores. Toronto #2 - Kevin Oklobzija ‏@kevinoDandC - Matt Frattin with about 4 moves and ends up
with an empty net. #Marlies up 2-0 to bottom of the 3rd.

Final Score - Toronto 4 Rochester 3.

Shots on Goal-Toronto 13-4-5-5-1-28. Rochester 7-6-2-0-0-15.
Power Play Opportunities-Toronto 0 / 2; Rochester 1 / 5.
Goalies-Toronto, Scrivens 8-7-0 (24 shots-21 saves).
Rochester, Leggio 11-8-0 (27 shots-24 saves).
Attendence - 5,475

Last edited:

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Players don't develop in a losing environment. I don't understand why that is so hard for a lot of Buffalo fans to grasp (I'm not saying you don't, just that many around here don't). During the 2003 lockout it wasn't Vanek or Roy or Pominville leading in scoring. It was Chris Taylor. And I bet if you asked them who helped them the most that year they would say the extended coaching staff and Chris Taylor's veteran presence.

Ahh yes, their veteran leadership in the AHL is why Kadri carried the leafs to their first playoff appearance since the last lockout. Oh wait they missed the playoffs again? So what part of a winning environment has translated to the development of better prospects? Toronto hasn't developed a goalie or top line center despite finishing in the bottom half of the league for the last decade.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Detroit has been one of the models for player development...but their AHL team has sucked for quite some time now. It would seem to go against your argument.
So would the fact that the parent team of the Marlies hasn't seen the playoffs since the 04-05 lockout. Their success at the AHL level has not seemed to translate into NHL level prospects.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ahh yes, their veteran leadership in the AHL is why Kadri carried the leafs to their first playoff appearance since the last lockout. Oh wait they missed the playoffs again? So what part of a winning environment has translated to the development of better prospects? Toronto hasn't developed a goalie or top line center despite finishing in the bottom half of the league for the last decade.
Last year was Toronto's first relevant AHL team in 5 years. Toronto hasn't developed a goalie or top line center in 10 years because they trade away all of their good picks and have had a ****** developmental system for the same amount of time. I would easily take the way that Toronto's prospects have developed over the last year and a half over how Buffalo's have.

Are you really trying to say because Nazim Kadri didn't clinch a playoff spot for the Maple Leafs last year that having a winning environment means nothing for developing prospects? Insane. It just blows my mind that people think that getting Maxim Legault or Kevin Sundher a roster spot over someone who could be putting up 40+ points a year is better for the Sabres organization. Legault has no NHL future and Sundher has a very slim one and not with Buffalo. How is this even debatable? JGL does have an NHL future but the guy does not need to play every game right now especially when the defense is this bad currently. Rotating half of the games is not going to kill these guys developmentally and may actually help them.

Last edited:

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
How did Girg look in this game? any improvements yet ? :D i see he got an assist but what about his overall game?

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
How is this even debatable?

When you stop and look and realize that there is 0 evidence supporting either claim and the only reason you are slamming the keyboard writing me a response is because you want to see Rochester win and, rightly so, view Toronto's methods as better to achieve that result. Myself, despite being from Rochester, couldn't care less about the Amerks record as long as they sort out 1 defenseman to play with Myers and don't screw up Girgs. At no point will the Amerks ever win a stanely cup and I personally would prefer to see the kids sent out there in the hardest situations. Let them win or lose and then spend heavily in teaching them why it worked or didn't. I don't Blame you for being frustrated but trying to imply facts about NHL player development from losing an AHL game to a better AHL team is little ridiculous. As you stated yourself it's been 1 season for Toronto's method and Hockey U is in it's first season.

So pop a zanex and worry about which 1 is better in 3-4 years when theres actually a sample size to look at. Or if you are diehard Amerks fan, I'm sorry Pegula didn't buy the team to win you a trophy. I would like to be there an Amerks run too.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
How did Girg look in this game? any improvements yet ? :D i see he got an assist but what about his overall game?

his overal game always looks pretty good. Did he get an assist on the Foligno deflect goal? If so that kind explains it he just threw it on net more or less.

Is it just me or do these refs really really discourage fighting? They werent letting anything go down last night.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
Did I notice that Crawford sat again after only one game? He was one of the better D in the Heat game and even contributed again on the offensive side. Why has this team given up on two of their D men already? It is not as if Crawford is over the hill and does not have any less future potential as any other D man currently playing and particularly Finley.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
his overal game always looks pretty good. Did he get an assist on the Foligno deflect goal? If so that kind explains it he just threw it on net more or less.

Is it just me or do these refs really really discourage fighting? They werent letting anything go down last night.

Well i meant his offensive game,it looks like hes getting his confidence back.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Did I notice that Crawford sat again after only one game? He was one of the better D in the Heat game and even contributed again on the offensive side. Why has this team given up on two of their D men already? It is not as if Crawford is over the hill and does not have any less future potential as any other D man currently playing and particularly Finley.

Did you notice that Crawford was hurt?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

Finley is the only physical element on defense and the most responsible in his own end, so he's not coming out.

Brennan and JGL were a pairing last night, which could be Rolston's dumbest coaching move of the year. And there's a lot to choose from.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
EDIT: Nevermind. Carry on, just try not to get too far off topic. There is so little hockey related talk right now. I don't want to kill what little is going on.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Finley is the only physical element on defense and the most responsible in his own end, so he's not coming out.

Brennan and JGL were a pairing last night, which could be Rolston's dumbest coaching move of the year. And there's a lot to choose from.

Yikes, thats a scary pair.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
According to Kevin O, the Amerks weren't even angry about this loss.

This team has a losers mentality and it starts at the top.

So Kevin O, who has constantly been negative towards the organization, decides they weren't mad enough after this loss. Now they are all losers and it goes all the way to Pegula.

Holy over the top.

I've read in several posts in various Amerks threads from various posters how the Marlies are conquering heroes in the AHL that smite all that come before them. They do everything right and we are a horribly run organization. Yet we only lost in a SO and are only 2 pts behind them in the standings. Thats with a good chunk of our forwards out injured for an extended period of time.

So then the narrative moves on to; they weren't angry enough about the loss.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
So Kevin O, who has constantly been negative towards the organization, decides they weren't mad enough after this loss. Now they are all losers and it goes all the way to Pegula.

Holy over the top.

I've read in several posts in various Amerks threads from various posters how the Marlies are conquering heroes in the AHL that smite all that come before them. They do everything right and we are a horribly run organization. Yet we only lost in a SO and are only 2 pts behind them in the standings. Thats with a good chunk of our forwards out injured for an extended period of time.

So then the narrative moves on to; they weren't angry enough about the loss.

Huh? They took the lead with 2 minutes to go but then couldn't even hold on giving up the tying goal with 9 seconds to go. Then lose in the shootout. That should be unacceptable. The fact that the team and coach weren't even angry speaks volumes to me. Maybe not you, I guess.

And this was a Marlies team without 4 of its best players.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Huh? They took the lead with 2 minutes to go but then couldn't even hold on giving up the tying goal with 9 seconds to go. Then lose in the shootout. That should be unacceptable. The fact that the team and coach weren't even angry speaks volumes to me. Maybe not you, I guess.

And this was a Marlies team without 4 of its best players.

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/

And the Amerks? They sounded like the shootout loss wasn’t all that bad, that earning 5 of 6 points this week was good.

In some ways, it was a good week. But not when the third game of that stretch was on home ice, against a team that you always lose to. Not when you turned a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead by scoring twice in 2:14. Not when the go-ahead goal was scored with just 2:13 remaining.

No, this should have been a break-sticks type of loss. When you’ve lost 10 in a row to the same team — five this season, three in the playoffs and the final two of the 2011-12 regular season — there can be no fake consolation from the loser’s point.

As per usually the negative spin is front and center for Kevin O and yourself. Someone needs to tell Kevin that earning 5 of 6 points is actually a good thing.

The Amerks just lost in a pretty tough manner and tried to look at positives, like earning 5 of 6 points. But of course that translates into not caring about the loss

You do realize Kevin O. interpreting their comments as not caring about the loss does not mean they didn't care about the loss. Its his take on things, and contrary to your interpretation, is not a fact. In fact it would be nice to see some actual quotes from the players, coaches, etc and not just his spin on their comments so we can interpret them ourselves.

Btw none of this means I have no issues with how they lost and that it shows that they can't seem to get over the mental hurdle of beating the Marlies. Thats definitely disturbing. Its like the reverse of the parent clubs for so many years. But the over the top pronouncement by you that they all have a losers mentality and it goes to the top is just that, an over the top pronouncement.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So Girgensons played with Hodgson/Foligno on the top line last night? Sounds like he handled himself quite well in that role.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/

As per usually the negative spin is front and center for Kevin O and yourself. Someone needs to tell Kevin that earning 5 of 6 points is actually a good thing.

The Amerks just lost in a pretty tough manner and tried to look at positives, like earning 5 of 6 points. But of course that translates into not caring about the loss

You do realize Kevin O. interpreting their comments as not caring about the loss does not mean they didn't care about the loss. Its his take on things, and contrary to your interpretation, is not a fact. In fact it would be nice to see some actual quotes from the players, coaches, etc and not just his spin on their comments so we can interpret them ourselves.

Btw none of this means I have no issues with how they lost and that it shows that they can't seem to get over the mental hurdle of beating the Marlies. Thats definitely disturbing. Its like the reverse of the parent clubs for so many years. But the over the top pronouncement by you that they all have a losers mentality and it goes to the top is just that, an over the top pronouncement.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Kevin O was there, so his interpretation is what we have. I'm not worried about the week as a whole, just last night. That loss was simply unacceptable. If you can't protect a 1 goal lead for 2 minutes, there are major issues. Players and coaches should have been furious, that was a 2 point divisional swing that could have implications later on. Terrible. If the Sabres lost in that fashion, this place would melt down.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Kevin O was there, so his interpretation is what we have. I'm not worried about the week as a whole, just last night. That loss was simply unacceptable. If you can't protect a 1 goal lead for 2 minutes, there are major issues. Players and coaches should have been furious, that was a 2 point divisional swing that could have implications later on. Terrible. If the Sabres lost in that fashion, this place would melt down.

Well, three-point swing, actually. Should've been 2 pts for RCH, and 0 for TOR. Amerks would've been ahead in the standings had they held on in regulation.

Interesting stat: When they're not playing each other, the Amerks are 12-6-0 and the Marlies are 9-9-1. Jeez.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Well, three-point swing, actually. Should've been 2 pts for RCH, and 0 for TOR. Amerks would've been ahead in the standings had they held on in regulation.

Interesting stat: When they're not playing each other, the Amerks are 12-6-0 and the Marlies are 9-9-1. Jeez.
Ah yes, good catch. And it plays into my point that if they're satisfied after that game, regardless of what happened earlier in the week, that's part of what's wrong with the organization as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->