agree with big georges laraque

Status
Not open for further replies.

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
after thinking about it for a while i agree with laraque 100% nhl players shouldn't be taking jobs from players in europe and the ahl along with the other minor leagues

because sure it's great for the teams finacially to have an nhl player on their squad especially if ticket sales are very bad,but what about the nhl prospects on those team who because of nhl players will get limited playing time if any if i was a ahl, or european coach i'd play the nhler's on a very limited basis let's face it you've proven you can play on an nhl level where as the prospect are trying to get to the nhl

i don't remember this happening in other sport lockouts imagine shaq due to a lockout playing in the minors or some how playing in d1 college what would be the point of scoring 50-100 pts a game

the players should be staying in shape but not taking away minor league and european jobs :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Yeah right... the goal in the game is to help the young players to reach their potential and not winning the game with NHL players. :shakehead

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Taupy said:
Yeah right... the goal in the game is to help the young players to reach their potential and not winning the game with NHL players. :shakehead

I think one point he is trying to refer to is just how selfish some of these NHl players are right now. It's all about the "me" attitude. Now that they are locked out they are taking away other jobs. This wouldn't have to be the case if they would compromise and understand the NHL is in a bad situation. The longer the lockout goes on, the less patience and respect I have for the players.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It seems as though it's gotten out of control this time around. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 1994 the players that went to play in Europe were signing with second and third tier teams (wasn't there a team in Switzerland called Grasshoppers? I seem to recall the likes of Doug Gilmour and Vinny Damphousse playing for a team like that).

I think the biggest problem this time is the fact that the elite leagues in Europe (specifically Russia, Czech Rep, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Germany and somewhat Slovakia) are far better than they used to be...and far more competitive. There IS big money to be made now in Europe (not NHL big money, but still not bad). So, the owners of the European league teams are also somewhat to blame for this situation.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that locked-out NHLers would have the nerve to call potential replacement players out, after what has transpired in Europe this season.

I would laugh if a Joe Thornton or Martin Gerber et al would call a player a scab for taking their place as Boston's No. 1 center or Carolina's starting netminder. Who's the pot, and who's the kettle anyway?

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely. The NHL players would have no right to blame the replacement players if they agree to play in the NHL (assuming they are not NHLPA members). But they do have a legitimate reason to complain about the owners hiring the replacements.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
George's point is that they are supposed to be unified, and together.

He doesn't view them as that, and I guess it's because of the views of guys like Dagenais, etc...

The NHLPA is talking about education and blah blah blah, but when guys are confused and don't know what's going on, it makes them wonder.

His point is, there wouldn't be this dissent in the ranks if all of the union members were sticking together, in every aspect.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Jag68Vlady27 said:
I think the biggest problem this time is the fact that the elite leagues in Europe (specifically Russia, Czech Rep, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Germany and somewhat Slovakia) are far better than they used to be...and far more competitive. There IS big money to be made now in Europe (not NHL big money, but still not bad). So, the owners of the European league teams are also somewhat to blame for this situation.

That being said, I find it hard to believe that locked-out NHLers would have the nerve to call potential replacement players out, after what has transpired in Europe this season.
QUOTE]

Well, in Europe most players have guaranteed contracts anyway, so they won't be losing any money because of the NHL players this year, some 4th line youngsters or never-made-it 30+plus-somethings just end up playing in the juniors or in a lower league for a few months for the same money, big deal for the hockey world on the whole. Maybe they now realise to start planning to having other careers outside hockey as well.

I don't think I've many european-born NHLer's complain about possible replacements either, this is just where they started and where they will end up after their NHL-career is over. I don't think that a Joe Thornton cares a lot about some no-name minor leaguer being a replacement, he knows it's not gonna succeed financially for the NHL, the actual NHL-calibre players and them holding the lines are much more essential.

All in all, I would disregard Laraque's comments as of no value, since he wouldn't be making those, if he would be good enough a player to get a job in Europe himself. which he isn't. Well, maybe in the UK and in leagues below that standard, but he'll get that kind of money from the dole in US anyway, so why bother?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So, if Europeans in the various Euro leagues own one-way contracts, regardless of whether they play in the elite league, First Division or the junior league, why is Hirsch up in arms? Is it because imports can't play First Division or lower? I'm confused by Hirsch's beef if he'd still get paid his regular salary even if he was sent down by his club team.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Jag68Vlady27 said:
So, if Europeans in the various Euro leagues own one-way contracts, regardless of whether they play in the elite league, First Division or the junior league, why is Hirsch up in arms? Is it because imports can't play First Division or lower? I'm confused by Hirsch's beef if he'd still get paid his regular salary even if he was sent down by his club team.

I don't what it says Hirsch's contract in particular, but yes, he most likely is paid in full, he just doesn't play so many games like he used to. In previous years in Switzerland it hasn't been uncommon for a club to have more non-Swiss players under contract than they are allowed to play in a game, so this is really nothing new.

So I would think, that Hirsch is probably worried that he might not get a new contract next season, if he doesn't play much this year. At least not as lucrative as his current contract.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
It was mentioned on TSN last night that the Swiss league does not have guaranteed contracts.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
dawgbone said:
It was mentioned on TSN last night that the Swiss league does not have guaranteed contracts.

I know for a fact that some non-Swiss (but European) players in the Swiss league have guaranteed contracts for a specific number of years and they have specific clauses in their contract stating on what bases the contract can be broken before it's due to end, And what it would cost to either party.

I'm not a swiss lawyer specialized on their labor laws, which are not always favourable to non-Swiss workers, but nevertheless the Swiss laws are to a certain extent coming closer to EU-countries laws regarding labor issues.

Every country has it's own twist and turns, UK labor laws are probably most worker-unfriendly amongst EU-countries. It also depends on the nationality of the player in question and what kind of treaties there are between the country of player's origin and the country where he's playing hockey (regarding taxes, labor rights etc.)

One starting place for finding out about Swiss labour laws:

http://www.standortschweiz.ch/seco/internet/en/workforce/labor_costs/labor_law/index.html

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
My issue...

neg marron said:
after thinking about it for a while i agree with laraque 100% nhl players shouldn't be taking jobs from players in europe and the ahl along with the other minor leagues

because sure it's great for the teams finacially to have an nhl player on their squad especially if ticket sales are very bad,but what about the nhl prospects on those team who because of nhl players will get limited playing time if any if i was a ahl, or european coach i'd play the nhler's on a very limited basis let's face it you've proven you can play on an nhl level where as the prospect are trying to get to the nhl

i don't remember this happening in other sport lockouts imagine shaq due to a lockout playing in the minors or some how playing in d1 college what would be the point of scoring 50-100 pts a game

the players should be staying in shape but not taking away minor league and european jobs :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

with Players going over to Europe etc. is that they will bail on their Club team when a new CBA is signed. So, if by some miracle this season is saved, sometime in December or January, these 250 guys are going to pack their bags and say later guys, I'm going back to the NHL, leaving their teammates in the middle of the season.

Seems to run contrary to what hockey players have always been about, sticking together as a team.

Sure, players get called up from the farm all the time, but everyone on the farm club understands that and are happy for the guy who gets the call.

But, in Europe, once you sign a deal, you're there until the season is over.

If I was on a club team with NHLers I'd be a bit resentful that they aren't committed to the team for the entire season. I can accept that fact that they are better than the guys they took jobs from, but if you're going to be on a club team, then commit for the whole season like everyone else on the team.

Of course, these NHLers have clauses to return to the NHL, so they're not doing anything illegal, it's in their contract with the club teams. But, that's what doesn't sit well with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad