AGM McCrimmon is a wanted man UPD: Named VGK GM effective 9/1

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Could also be approached by Seattle.

Edmonton is a hot mess. Would have a lot to clean up there, not the least of which is a major change in culture. (VGK was lucky in that with "all new" players they could set/adopt the culture they wanted.)

Hopefully, he'd be given the authority to do what was necessary to properly install the right people to get the culture shifted. And a lot less ownership and "old boys club" input which seems to have doomed the organization for last decade+. (They have made the playoffs ONCE since 2006.)

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Hope it is the Oilers. I feel he doesn't get enough credit with his work on the expansion draft. Don't want him to have another go with a division opponent to work his magic.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I disagree. Edmonton has the best player in the world and Seattle isn't going to catch the lightning in a bottle we did.
Edmonton's got a lot of baggage that comes along with that player. Seattle will not be VGK, but I think they'd be willing to pay as much or more than Edmonton to get one of the architects of what happened with the Knights.

I personally hope he stays in Las Vegas, and I think there's a decent chance of that happening.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Edmonton's got a lot of baggage that comes along with that player. Seattle will not be VGK, but I think they'd be willing to pay as much or more than Edmonton to get one of the architects of what happened with the Knights.

I personally hope he stays in Las Vegas, and I think there's a decent chance of that happening.

I'm just saying if I'm Mcrimmon I'm taking the known quantity(ies). You know there are 30 other gm's this time around that are going to do their damndest to not let Seattle be a repeat of Vegas.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm just saying if I'm Mcrimmon I'm taking the known quantity(ies). You know there are 30 other gm's this time around that are going to do their damndest to not let Seattle be a repeat of Vegas.
And I don't think it's that simple.

By almost all accounts, Edmonton isn't a great place to live during hockey season. Edmonton's also got some of the most rabid fans in hockey, and it's a small city that's obsessed with hockey. Since it's so obsessed with hockey, the local media is fairly insane. Since they've got the best player in the world, the local media and fans are even more impatient than usual. You also get the added benefit of national Canadian media and some US media being drawn to Edmonton due to McDavid and the story of Oilers futility. You've also got kind of a good ol' boys club that might want to juice in some of the old Oilers players and legends onto the staff against the GM's will. You've also got a chance that McCrimmon might be asked to sell his WHL team so he can devote all his time to the Oilers, whether that's done by ownership or the aforementioned media. Whether it's Seattle or Edmonton, he's going to have to leave a team with his fingerprints all over it that appears to have a cup window wide open for a few years.

It's not super black and white when you compare the three options of Edmonton, Seattle, and status quo.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

Several teams will be desperate to hold on to a player or want to dump a high paid player that they do not see in their long term plans. I don't think they will be as good as vgk, but they will get their share of good players and picks.

Several teams have too many highly paid vets with NMCs or a modified NMC and will have to expose a player that they badly want to keep and will make a deal to avoid losing that player.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
We'll see, but I don't think this time around we're going to see the types of deals teams like MIN/ANA/FLA/CBJ opted for before. I think most of the teams are just going to let Seattle take a guy and be done with it.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Several teams have too many highly paid vets with NMCs or a modified NMC and will have to expose a player that they badly want to keep and will make a deal to avoid losing that player.

You have to protect 1 goalie and 8+ skaters. So you're telling me there are teams with more than nine NMCs?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
We'll see, but I don't think this time around we're going to see the types of deals teams like MIN/ANA/FLA/CBJ opted for before. I think most of the teams are just going to let Seattle take a guy and be done with it.
Then again, Florida is sitting where they are now with one of the top players in the league and appear to be the odds on favorites to land Panarin and Bobrovsky. So while it was a move that doesn't make a whole lot of sense in retrospect, they're likely in a better place now than they would have been without making the move. Ditto for Columbus since they dumped cap for a pick and lost a dude they didn't mind losing anyway since Wild Bill was fairly mild during his time there. Anaheim had to lose someone, it was just going to happen. Minnesota is the odd one, but few people thought it was a bad move at the time.

I think McPhee and McCrimmon did a great job doing what they did. While I don't think GMs will make as many "stupid moves" (for lack of a better term) as they did with VGK, nobody really thought what the GMs did with VGK was stupid at the time. So there's a chance the expansion draft winds up pretty similar. What happens after the draft is where I think the difference plays out.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
You have to protect 1 goalie and 8+ skaters. So you're telling me there are teams with more than nine NMCs?

Yeah there's a few or close to 9. Not for the 2021 season, but there are some as of right now. And while some of those may not be extended, but some of them might and get NMC again. If I wasn't so tired I'd look at Tampa's potential team as they currently have 10 and how many more players will get NMC and if they can protect all of them. Toronto is another I'd look at too. It would also help if I knew their top prospects but I don't. I'm sure if you were to look at every team and find those with at least 5 or 6 NMC/NTC deals and try to guess their future problems. I'm sure someone has already looked at every team and if they know their top prospects and can guess the future roster and go from there on who might be available.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I'm sure someone has already looked at every team and if they know their top prospects and can guess the future roster and go from there on who might be available.

And perhaps 90% of the work done based on today's rosters will be obsolete by the time the expansion draft comes around.

Realize that a nominal (NHL) rookie this fall will still be exempt for the expansion draft. So, you really need to look at the rookies from this season and older.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
And perhaps 90% of the work done based on today's rosters will be obsolete by the time the expansion draft comes around.

Realize that a nominal (NHL) rookie this fall will still be exempt for the expansion draft. So, you really need to look at the rookies from this season and older.

Let's say a team has 10 NMC and have 6 young players that are exempt at the time of the draft, what then? There has to be some definitive rule.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Let's say a team has 10 NMC and have 6 young players that are exempt at the time of the draft, what then? There has to be some definitive rule.

Get one of the NMCs to waive (ala Fleury)?

Teams usually have way more than 6 players exempt. All 2019 and 2020 draftees (regardless of signing) will be exempt. Also any player who is a rookie in 19-20 and 20-21 are exempt (based on experience).

It's kinda like watching grass grow as VGK has no dog in the fight. They don't have to worry about protected vs exempt players. VGK isn't gonna lose a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad