Agility for an, ahem, older noob

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
I can skate forwards and skate backwards and stop and crossover. I've got a big gap tho when it comes to transitions and turns from forward to backward skating and vice versa.

Anyone got any tips for learning these moves? Any precursor practice/drills to getting the ability to switch from fwd to bwd at a useful speed?

PS12

Jun 28, 2013
I can skate forwards and skate backwards and stop and crossover. I've got a big gap tho when it comes to transitions and turns from forward to backward skating and vice versa.

Anyone got any tips for learning these moves? Any precursor practice/drills to getting the ability to switch from fwd to bwd at a useful speed?

I practice mohawks a lot. Its great for transitions.

http://howtohockey.com/how-to-do-the-mohawk-turn

ciscomorales

Sep 11, 2013
Katy, Texas
I know the feeling, everyone I talk to tells me to go forward at a good clip and do the transition... You pull it off or you fall, stop get up go the other direction and do it again. I can do it pretty well at about 75% on the left and bust my ass everytime on the right. So you know what I am working on. Next is the backwards crossover.

redbranch

Sep 24, 2007
bridgewater,nj
dead on with the stretching.
Additionally, you can start getting the muscle memory of the mohawk turn at home. The way I learned to do them was I practiced them a ton while watching tv on my hardwood floor in my socks. It's not the same thing, but it made it much easier to pick up on the ice.

I "pre-learned" a lot of stuff that way. just to get the flexibility and movements right before worrying about doing it on a little steel blade

hilega

Dec 6, 2012
400sCapsShootTwice
Skate around a stick

See my tip in this thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1581297

We did this in my LTP class a few months ago.

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
dead on with the stretching.
Additionally, you can start getting the muscle memory of the mohawk turn at home. The way I learned to do them was I practiced them a ton while watching tv on my hardwood floor in my socks. It's not the same thing, but it made it much easier to pick up on the ice.

I "pre-learned" a lot of stuff that way. just to get the flexibility and movements right before worrying about doing it on a little steel blade
I'm doing that already. Including when I'm waiting around in public places and people probably think I'm mad.

See my tip in this thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1581297

We did this in my LTP class a few months ago.
That's a nice, concise little training programme :)

PS12

Jun 28, 2013
Yep. I started to try this a while ago. It's taking time tho and feels really odd on the ice. I just don't have have the hip opening yet. I guess it avoids all that mini-jump stuff tho so maybe I should put more effort in on these

It does feel odd.

Im 46 and not as flexible as i used to be. Doing mohawk circles to my right seemed a lot easier than going to my left. Im still working on doing the circles to my left. Its still a little awkward but im getting there.

Definitely practice doing it off ice.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I'll also add stretching. When I was first starting out ice skating a couple years ago, I had straight ahead speed but nothing else. I did insanity for 3 weeks (lots of pre and post stretching) and I have never had more agility. 4 years later, I've reached enough fitness goals that I want to incorporate yoga into my training regiment. Tomorrow is my first class.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I'll also add stretching. When I was first starting out ice skating a couple years ago, I had straight ahead speed but nothing else. I did insanity for 3 weeks (lots of pre and post stretching) and I have never had more agility. 4 years later, I've reached enough fitness goals that I want to incorporate yoga into my training regiment. Tomorrow is my first class.

I should add I played a lot of roller as a kid, so I'm comfortable skating forward in one direction and doing a little hop and weight transfers in the other to start gaining gain speed in transition.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
What types of games are you playing in now? By that I mean are you playing in all league games, Instructional classes, rats, or just skating on your own.

If you are playing in any kind of game I would recommend asking to play defense, even if that is not your natural position. It will also help if the players are a little above your level. If you are playing a lot of defense, especially against better players, they will force you to transition a lot and with speed. It will be very difficult at first but you will get it. Once you start to gain some confidence you'll be able to slow those guys up and eventually be able to stop them. Then once you go back to your regular position or start playing with guys at your level it will be a breeze.

I understand that this is probably the most extreme option and might be a little uncomfortable but I found that the only way to get better in a lot of cases is to force yourself out of your comfort zone.

TheRedShadow

May 1, 2013
What types of games are you playing in now? By that I mean are you playing in all league games, Instructional classes, rats, or just skating on your own.

If you are playing in any kind of game I would recommend asking to play defense, even if that is not your natural position. It will also help if the players are a little above your level. If you are playing a lot of defense, especially against better players, they will force you to transition a lot and with speed. It will be very difficult at first but you will get it. Once you start to gain some confidence you'll be able to slow those guys up and eventually be able to stop them. Then once you go back to your regular position or start playing with guys at your level it will be a breeze.

I understand that this is probably the most extreme option and might be a little uncomfortable but I found that the only way to get better in a lot of cases is to force yourself out of your comfort zone.
I'm playing 1v1, 2v1, 3v2, 3v3 etc mostly in a not-complete-beginner/adult learn to play programme.

It's good advice to get out of my comfort zone, for sure. Having said that, I lack to confidence/skills to use any transitional moves during play. I feel I'm going to have to practice a LOT at public sessions, until they become near-instinctive.

I'm a drummer also, and in that there's a phrase there: "Learn it, then burn it" and it's only when you've burned something into muscle memory is it going to be good enough for a gig. I'm still learning Mohawks, and have still to burn em in.

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
Like ChiTownhawks said getting out of your comfort zone works well, try and find out when there are some pick up games at your rink and try to get in them there will be a range of skill level in those games anywhere from D to B league, the hardest part is getting over the fear of not being skilled enough to play in them but most of the guys who play are pretty cool and understand. Once you get into the game and you are trying your hardest you will try stuff without thinking about it, and when the other guys see you giving your all they will get behind you. I played pick up yesterday where or D league team scrimmaged the local high school hockey team plus we had a handful of guys from the B league, I got juked out of my skates smoked in an open race to the puck plus hit the ice a few times, but it was one of the most fun pick up games I played in

SillyMe

Jan 10, 2014
Ma.
Same here(Drummer/attitude)
I just gathered up ALL my gear after 34 years off, and to be honest, I'm pretty nervous, but I want to get back into hockey bad.
Gear I don't already have will be here by the end of the week, and will be doing stick time this week and next to get me back into it some.

Just gotta do it!:yo:

I'm playing 1v1, 2v1, 3v2, 3v3 etc mostly in a not-complete-beginner/adult learn to play programme.

It's good advice to get out of my comfort zone, for sure. Having said that, I lack to confidence/skills to use any transitional moves during play. I feel I'm going to have to practice a LOT at public sessions, until they become near-instinctive.

I'm a drummer also, and in that there's a phrase there: "Learn it, then burn it" and it's only when you've burned something into muscle memory is it going to be good enough for a gig. I'm still learning Mohawks, and have still to burn em in.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
Just getting back to hockey after 7 years off, I cannot believe I let that happen. There are not many Ice rinks close by, so it is roller hockey until we move back to a colder climate.

My gosh, I feel out of my element on roller-blades. Went ice skating in my old goal skates a couple of years ago and was fine, transitioned all over the place, great balance, but now that I am trying to play out of the net (no longer tending the goal) I am really off on the skating.

I am going to try the Tomahawk, but does anyone have any suggestions for quicker stopping for roller hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad