Agadmator's Chess Channel (YouTube)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
In a recent video, he mentioned he might not be on YouTube for much longer. With 500K subscribers, not sure why he would leave.

Wouldn't 500K subscribers provide a decent income?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
One of the most dominant performances I've seen
I was doing some puzzles on Lichess today. I still kind of suck, so I find myself playing those more than actual chess games. Definitely learned a lot since you first made this thread. It's just a bitch memorizing all the openings and defenses. I think the Ruy Lopez is the only one I know from memory, although I haven't practiced much during 2019. They have a coordinates training exercise that is helpful too.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I was doing some puzzles on Lichess today. I still kind of suck, so I find myself playing those more than actual chess games. Definitely learned a lot since you first made this thread. It's just a ***** memorizing all the openings and defenses. I think the Ruy Lopez is the only one I know from memory, although I haven't practiced much during 2019.
Studying openings is overrated. You can always play something easy and conservative in the opening - see below.

If you want to really improve your game, study endgames - altho, be warned, they are boring as sin.

Getting back to openings...

Gary Kasparov played in a tournament (altho, it might have been a simultaneous exhibition) where he played the same opening as white in each game :

e4
Nf3
g3
Bg2
O-O
d3
bNd2
Bg5 (or somewhere safe)
c3
When the opportunity presents itself, push d4.

It is solid enough and will take most opponents out of their opening prep.

chessboard

If you hire a chess coach, they will likely tell you what I said.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Studying openings is overrated. You can always play something easy and conservative in the opening - see below.

If you want to really improve your game, study endgames - altho, be warned, they are boring as sin.

Getting back to openings...

Gary Kasparov played in a tournament (altho, it might have been a simultaneous exhibition) where he played the same opening as white in each game :

e4
Nf3
g3
Bg2
O-O
d3
bNd2
Bg5 (or somewhere safe)
c3
When the opportunity presents itself, push d4.

It is solid enough and will take most opponents out of their opening prep.

chessboard

If you hire a chess coach, they will likely tell you what I said.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's good advice, and yes they are really boring. I was just doing a Bishop & Knight mate. I'm sure they are overrated but I find when left to my own devices I often screw up the opening or don't know what how to attack once my pieces are developed. I know the basics, take the center, develop knights, castle, etc.

That's interesting about the Kasparov opening, neat way to castle, and probably good for me to improve the rest of my game and not worry about bungling the opening or memorizing 50 different openings lol. Thanks.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's good advice, and yes they are really boring. I was just doing a Bishop & Knight mate. I'm sure they are overrated but I find when left to my own devices I often screw up the opening or don't know what how to attack once my pieces are developed. I know the basics, take the center, develop knights, castle, etc.
Best to just enjoy the game. Neither one of us will be playing Magnus Carlsen anytime soon so... :)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Best to just enjoy the game. Neither one of us will be playing Magnus Carlsen anytime soon so... :)
My biggest issue is when I'm actually playing a solid game, I don't see the checkmate and the game just ends up dragging on until there's and endgame with like a couple pieces left. I always let the opponent back in the game with moves that don't—I forget the term—move the game forward.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My biggest issue is when I'm actually playing a solid game, I don't see the checkmate and the game just ends up dragging on until there's and endgame with like a couple pieces left. I always let the opponent back in the game with moves that don't—I forget the term—move the game forward.
We all hit a wall at some point...

You've developed your pieces, you've castled, your opponent has no noticeable weakness or loose pieces to aim for, so what do you do?

At that point, try and gain more space. You can also look for sacrifices. Of course, it's NOT easy.

That's what makes the best players amazing. Little by little they squeeze out an advantage. It's a God given ability.

Middle games are tough to study. You can look at tactics, but it is mostly a skill that you either have or you don't.

Reactions: aufheben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad