Aftermarket Skate Footbeds/Inserts

goillini1996

Nov 17, 2010
Illinois
Just bought some replacement inserts for my skates and wanted to see if anyone has any feedback on them.

I bought some of the Superfeet inserts for skates this past week with the intention of them helping my stabilize my feet in my boot. I've had Superfeet inserts in my running shoes for years and they are awesome. Eliminated all of the footpain I was having at the time and I've been hooked since.

However, when I went to my instructional class this week, I put the inserts in my skates - I have Easton S9's - it seemed like it threw my balance all out of whack.

I couldn't "feel" my edges at all. I had really been working hard on learning to hockey stop on both right and left sides at open skate. I was really confident I could do ti at my class, so as I get out onto the ice I sktart moving and go to stop and boom, TIMBER!!!, caught and edge and down I went. It was like that the whole time. It was as if i forgot everything I had taught myself. I felt like a jacka$$. It got so bad I went and switched ot the footbeds that came with the skate!!

Anyone else had this experience?

The only thing I can think of is that the new inserts forced my foot to align differently on the edge of the blade and I was not used to skating that way. Otherwise I am at a loss for ideas. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thx!!

goillini

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
I got the superfeet inserts for my new pair of skates just a couple weeks ago. I remember when I was buying my previous pair of skates that I tried the inserts on and noticed they didnt fit well. For whatever reason (maybe the guy gave me the wrong size to try on the first time), the inserts felt like they fit me perfectly in my new skates. I had a gap between my arch and the boot and it seemed to fill that in. The skates fit like a glove.

I went to skate on them for the first time and I was expecting a breaking in period where I would need to relearn my balance (although I went from one easton boot to another so I didn't think it'd be that big a deal). For whatever reason, when I skated, I felt like the superfeet insoles were not sitting in the right place and the arch of the insole was elevating my ankle. I couldn't use them. I felt like I was learning to skate all over again, it was terrible, and I'd say I'm a competent skater.

Anyways, I took them out and replaced them with the insoles from my old pair of skates and I can skate well again.

It could be you're learning a new boot, lots of brands sit a little differently, or it could be that the insole is not in the correct spot for your feet and you're not transfering your power correctly.

edit: Thought I read that you had new skates, I guess you don't. Make sure the insole is sitting correctly for you in exactly the right spot and is not forcing your foot to take an unwanted shape. It seems to me that the insole is not correct for your foot, as was my problem.

Last edited:

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
i'm assuming you're using the superfeet yellow? if so, unlike other superfeet, the hockey-specific yellow do tend to raise the heel a bit putting you a touch more no your toes. some like it, some don't. that may also be playing a role.

mbeam

Jun 8, 2008
i'm assuming you're using the superfeet yellow? if so, unlike other superfeet, the hockey-specific yellow do tend to raise the heel a bit putting you a touch more no your toes. some like it, some don't. that may also be playing a role.

Oh, really? I didn't realize that. Those were what I was using. Yea, definitely not for me!

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010
I use the superfeet black. They seem to work out pretty well for me, the arch isn't as pronounced as the yellow ones.

Those are the slimmest superfeet aren't they? Definitely not meant for skates, but I suppose whatever works for ya

bosshogg18

Oct 26, 2009
Lyle, WA, Tacoma, WA
I got the yellow superfeet for my vapor 40's about a year ago. They felt great on my feet, but after about 4 or 5 skates I noticed my heal hurting. I looked down and noticed I had huge bump on the back of my heal. It ended up being Haglund's Deformity. To this day it has not gone away and hurts to push on it. I noticed when I took the inserts out and put the stock ones back in, the pain went away while skating, where as when I had the superfeet in, it put pressure on that spot.
Of note, I have always skated with Bauers and have moved on to Bauer One95's since then and have never had a problem before or after I used superfeet. I would stay away.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
have never had a problem before or after I used superfeet. I would stay away.

Everybody's feet are different. For me superfeet make my skates comfortable but I have weak arches, and use orthotics in my regular shoes.

Different people have different feet, and will have needs.

CGNY87

Jan 7, 2011
NY
skated with a pair of superfeet so far about 7 times. They feel great when skating but kill my feet when standing still. My bauer footbeds hurt when skating so I'm gonna stick with the yellow superfeet.

They only hurt in the heels/back section of arches when standing completely still like when waiting to get on the ice before a game.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Try the Graf Sidas insoles. I've tried both and like the Sidas better, they support the arch and lock in the heel very nicely but do not seem to alter the alignment of the foot in the boot as much as the Superfeet do.

BTW, on that note, I have a pair of yellow Superfeet used only twice that I'd be willing to send anyone just for the cost of shipping if they want to try them. They are trimmed to about a size 7.5 wide, so should fit any skate 7.5 or smaller in wide or narrow with some trimming.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
If you can get them locally, get the Graf custom molded Sidas ones.
Thing is they need to be fitted by a store that has the equipment.
Got those a couple of years ago, most comfortable footbed bar none.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
skated with a pair of superfeet so far about 7 times. They feel great when skating but kill my feet when standing still. My bauer footbeds hurt when skating so I'm gonna stick with the yellow superfeet.

They only hurt in the heels/back section of arches when standing completely still like when waiting to get on the ice before a game.

I don't know what your case is, but for some people their arch is further from the heel than average so the Superfeet arch is too close to the heel. Going up one size in the Superfeet and trimming to fit is a solution that some people use to match the Superfeet to their arch.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Just bought some replacement inserts for my skates and wanted to see if anyone has any feedback on them.

I bought some of the Superfeet inserts for skates this past week with the intention of them helping my stabilize my feet in my boot. I've had Superfeet inserts in my running shoes for years and they are awesome. Eliminated all of the footpain I was having at the time and I've been hooked since.

However, when I went to my instructional class this week, I put the inserts in my skates - I have Easton S9's - it seemed like it threw my balance all out of whack.

I couldn't "feel" my edges at all. I had really been working hard on learning to hockey stop on both right and left sides at open skate. I was really confident I could do ti at my class, so as I get out onto the ice I sktart moving and go to stop and boom, TIMBER!!!, caught and edge and down I went. It was like that the whole time. It was as if i forgot everything I had taught myself. I felt like a jacka$$. It got so bad I went and switched ot the footbeds that came with the skate!!

Anyone else had this experience?

The only thing I can think of is that the new inserts forced my foot to align differently on the edge of the blade and I was not used to skating that way. Otherwise I am at a loss for ideas. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thx!!

goillini

The same thing happened to me with Superfeet. I just adjusted to them and got used to them within a 1/2 hour of skating. However I did end up switching to flatter insoles after a couple of weeks because my naturally low arches were not really compatible with the Superfeet.

toddmanley

Sep 28, 2010
I got the yellow superfeet for my vapor 40's about a year ago. They felt great on my feet, but after about 4 or 5 skates I noticed my heal hurting. I looked down and noticed I had huge bump on the back of my heal. It ended up being Haglund's Deformity. To this day it has not gone away and hurts to push on it. I noticed when I took the inserts out and put the stock ones back in, the pain went away while skating, where as when I had the superfeet in, it put pressure on that spot.
Of note, I have always skated with Bauers and have moved on to Bauer One95's since then and have never had a problem before or after I used superfeet. I would stay away.

I had a similar problem with my x60's. I ended up getting a better fitting pair of Graf's that now work really well with my custom Superfeet insoles.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
The insole question pops up every so often here on HFBoards.

The Superfeet yellow insoles for hockey skates have a slightly raised heel, which may be throwing off your balance. A friend of mine got new Grafs the other day (they also raise the heel a fair bit) switching from Bauers and he couldn't stand it. I think he was falling on his face every 5th stride or so.

My skating felt much better the first time I tried them. It was easier for me to do backwards crossovers (since the raised heel was forcing weight to the balls of my feet) and I stopped blowing edges on my left side thanks to my flat arches.

I think it depends on your foot and, probably more importantly, your skating style.

budster

Schoolyard Puck

You're not the first person I've heard this from. I have the Superfeet yellows and the arch is too high for my flat feet. How much should I expect to pay for this? The only guy I know that does it wants to charge $175 for the Conformable Sidas. Worth it?

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX

Graf's website says they are for Graf skates only

I have the yellow superfeet and they haven't bothered me. I kinda notice that my skates don't lock my heels as well, but I have attributed that to my foot deformities.

I think skates have a lot to do with how you tie them, and what kind of socks you wear.

I wear thin socks(runners socks actually), and noticed they felt better than the thicker Bauer or Easton hockey socks I use to wear.

When I lace my skates, the first few eyelets around my toe-box going back to my insole are snug, but not tight. My tighest lace is around my instep.

canuck44

Feb 24, 2010

I have the yellow superfeet and they haven't bothered me. I kinda notice that my skates don't lock my heels as well, but I have attributed that to my foot deformities.

I think skates have a lot to do with how you tie them, and what kind of socks you wear.

I wear thin socks(runners socks actually), and noticed they felt better than the thicker Bauer or Easton hockey socks I use to wear.

When I lace my skates, the first few eyelets around my toe-box going back to my insole are snug, but not tight. My tighest lace is around my instep.

Graf's website shows a list of NHL'ers who use their footbeds and only a handful of players in the NHL wear Grafs still so they can't be for grafs only

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

that's a load of bunk... have you ever actually seen the insoles in person, seen the fitting process or know anyone who has them? because if you did, you'd know that once the molding process is finished, the insoles are shaved down by hand to custom fit the inside of the skate boot. doesn't matter what boot they are. i have them in my x60's and they are fantastic. the only reason they say they is as a disclaimer in case you're not satisfied with how they fit in your boot.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
I got some Yellows for my goalie skates just cause I am standing around so long. My feet will get sore at times if Im putting too much weight on a certain area, but they were much worse for me before putting them in. It was like standing around at the mall all day as a kid, my feet were just exhausted. With the Yellows it helps me for the just sitting around part, and gives me a little more of a lean forward obviously.

As for skating out though I just use my regular insoles, but the skate I use fits my foot pretty damn good, and I get breaks obviously when my line is off the ice so I dont get the standing around for an hour soreness with those.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
You're not the first person I've heard this from. I have the Superfeet yellows and the arch is too high for my flat feet. How much should I expect to pay for this? The only guy I know that does it wants to charge $175 for the Conformable Sidas. Worth it?

I paid $CA 100 when I got them.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON

Graf's website shows a list of NHL'ers who use their footbeds and only a handful of players in the NHL wear Grafs still so they can't be for grafs only

I agree, I don't see how they would only be for Graf skates.
That being said, I have them in Grafs and they are included with Graf Ultra G series skates.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
I agree, I don't see how they would only be for Graf skates.
That being said, I have them in Grafs and they are included with Graf Ultra G series skates.

They are not included in G series skates. The custom insoles are hard to find, there are only a handful of places on the entire east coast of the states that actually have the machines, so they're not in any way "included" with G series skates.

Also, these are not the normal Sidas insoles that do come with many of the skates (even those are not auto in G series skates), these are the custom ones, definitely not included.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad