After winning 10 in a row, the Sabres have now lost 5 in a row.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I am just looking for opinions on what this means. Is this a team falling back to earth after a good start (my opinion) or is this just a skid for a team that has turned the corner?

Certainly interesting to see how the team responds to it's first true adversity.

Reactions: Lahey

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Teams that go on long winning streaks usually go on long losing streaks as well.

It happens.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
It means that they have lost 5 in a row. This may surprise you but teams will have winning and losing streaks. This is not really a topic worthy of a thread.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017
This thread was inevitable.

Anyway, they weren't as good as a 10 game winning streak would suggest and aren’t as bad as a 5 game losing streak would suggest.

It would be nice though if they could score when Eichel isn't on the ice. He has their last 4 goals.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
things were bound to even out after that super lucky win streak. they will most likely settle in to a playoff spot by the end of the year, but won't be close to leading the league

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The Sabres aren't one of the best teams in the league where the 10 game winning streak put them but they're probably a playoff team . ( well that 10 game win streak helps with that ) . Losing 5 in a row now puts them more to where they're likely supposed to be anyway.

Last edited:

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
That's why a regular season is 82 games long.

They'll be contending with us soon enough. Some good pieces there.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Listen, the team is playing fine against quality opponents (look at Toronto recently). People overrated this young team when they were on that 10 game win streak and now it looks like the pendulum has swung and people are now underrating them. This is a still fairly young team that has taken a step forward this season from being a lottery team to a likely lower-seed playoff team, they aren't contenders yet, particularly with the powerhouses above them in the Atlantic, but neither are they the division doormats anymore.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
For all those were saying most of their winning streak was lucky because of 1 goal wins, their 5 game losing streak:

1 goal loss to Tampa
1 goal loss to Nashville
OT loss to Toronto
OT loss to Florida

This game against Philly was an exception where they played 1 brutal period to end it.

I see close losses againt 3 top teams, one bad (but OT) game, and one stinker.

Every logical Sabres fan knows they aren't a top team. But they aren't awful either. Average...which hopefully leads to a playoff spot.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I am just going to say what no one else will: Dahlin's mistakes are pretty bad. 2nd team worst today with an HDCF% of 33.33 (team HDCF% of 55), there were times in that game that he looked completely lost. They need to shelter him more, if possible.
I wonder if it's any coincidence that his partner was even worse

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I wonder if it's any coincidence that his partner was even worse

Judging by the stats, I am guessing he played with Bogo or Tennyson? Yikes. Into the fire.

For all those were saying most of their winning streak was lucky because of 1 goal wins, their 5 game losing streak:

1 goal loss to Tampa
1 goal loss to Nashville
OT loss to Toronto
OT loss to Florida

This game against Philly was an exception where they played 1 brutal period to end it.

I see close losses againt 3 top teams, one bad (but OT) game, and one stinker.

Every logical Sabres fan knows they aren't a top team. But they aren't awful either. Average...which hopefully leads to a playoff spot.

I can't see them missing, too much talent. If Bergeron is out all year, that opens up a non-wildcard spot as well.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i think they're trending in right direction and like the moves they've made...i just think like with many streaks, lots of luck is involved--vs habs for instance they got a late cookie / dive of a PP to win vs niemi with a min left and two garbage OT goals on 31# in the other 2 games

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Didn't sound like they were playing consistently well in their 10 game winning streak, so you blend it all together and you have a respectable .666 winning team on its way down. Story checks out.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Before the 10 game winning streak they also lost 3 in a row....streaking up and down is kind of normal.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Not happy with the GM or coach. There are injuries to a defense corps that had played pretty well and the GM called up Matt Tennyson to play with Nathan Beaulieu as a 3rd pair - Tennyson is terrible, there are 2 young dman on Rochester who are better. I watch all the Amerks games thanks to AHL Live and Guhle and Borgen are better than Tennyson despite some nonsense being spread that Guhle is struggling - he isn't, he's an offensive defenseman who makes some bonehead decisions in his own zone but the good outweighs the bad, not so in Tennyson's case. The coach sat out Girgensons for no apparent reason. There are too many forwards on the team who are incapable of producing and the past 2 games have been the worst we've seen from Mittelstadt. There are guys down in the AHL who've earned a look after a third of the season.

Reinhart was a complete mess today, Skinner not much better. It was a total ****show.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Talk about overreacting in here. First bad game in over a month.

They’ve lost only five times in the last 22 games in regulation.

They’ve gone 0-3-2 since winning ten in a row and to the best teams in the league for three of them, four games all by one goal.

Today was a melt down with our backup in and our starter hurt and even then had a 2-0 lead until Ullmark had bad luck and the flyers who have been known to pepper even Tampa with four goals in the third did that here.

I’m glad this thread was created tbh, could be fun to look back on.

Not saying the sabres are going to go back to winning ten and the 14-2-2 run they were on but this team is 0-3-2 and like I said have lost 7 times in the last 22 games, just five in regulation, and in some of those outshot the opposition two to one.

Back to reality.

They are not a playoff team and that certainly won't change moving forward with a 33 year old goalie in net.

Because that’s so ancient for a goalie?

He wasn’t even apart of the last two losses and has done nothing but post among the best save percentage in the nhl over the last two years and is a big reason we have the record we do.

We will see how this post works out for you, this is the first bad game we’ve had in like twenty games (over five weeks)

10-5. Still a great run.

And It’s even way better then that too, we were 14-2-2 before this five game losing streak (0-3-2) where this was the first loss by more then or Goal.

So we are 14-5-4 in our last 23 games.

7 of those 9 losses were by one goal.

Not bad.

Last edited:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Back to reality.

They are not a playoff team and that certainly won't change moving forward with a 33 year old goalie in net.

Good thing they have a talented 25 year old too then. And a top goalie prospect.

*Incoming comment from someone who didn't watch today about how Ullmark gave up 6*

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
Talk about overreacting in here. First bad game in over a month.

They’ve lost only five times in the last 22 games in regulation.

They’ve gone 0-3-2 since winning ten in a row and to the best teams in the league for three of them, four games all by one goal.

Today was a melt down with our backup in and our starter hurt and even then had a 2-0 lead until Ullmark had bad luck and the flyers who have been known to pepper even Tampa with four goals in the third did that here.

I’m glad this thread was created tbh, could be fun to look back on.

Not saying the sabres are going to go back to winning ten and the 14-2-2 run they were on but this team is 0-3-2 and like I said have lost 7 times in the last 22 games, just five in regulation, and in some of those outshot the opposition two to one.

Because that’s so ancient for a goalie?

He wasn’t even apart of the last two losses and has done nothing but post among the best save percentage in the nhl over the last two years and is a big reason we have the record we do.

We will see how this post works out for you, this is the first bad game we’ve had in like twenty games (over five weeks)
Most of your posts are the pinnacle of over-reacting.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
They just aren’t very good. Playoff bubble team probably but they’re still young anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad