After Tom Wilson comes back what are you expecting?

After Tom Wilson comes back what are you expecting?

• Total voters

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No change with him, he's just too dumb of a player to make any changes. I don't think his problem is that he's intentionally a cheap shot artist, like someone like Cooke or Torres, his problem is that he's just too dumb to not throw dirty hits.

Reactions: RareDangles

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I honestly can see it going anyway. The next suspension would be probably near 40 games and maybe a season if a 2nd occurs. I think if he wants to play in the NHL he now has to know this will be lengthy and costly if he keeps it up.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
With his new contract I think it will be legal with questionable hits and probably another suspension

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I imagine a scenario where he comes out and plays the first few games timid and is completely ineffective. A huge portion of that contract is for him to be a wrecking ball, so he will slowly start to regain his edge in order to be an effective player. The positive feedback from fans, teammates, and the scoresheet will encourage him further. Almost inevitably he crosses the line again and gets suspended for another 40 games. The question in my mind is, how long does that process take? 15 games?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
No change with him, he's just too dumb of a player to make any changes. I don't think his problem is that he's intentionally a cheap shot artist, like someone like Cooke or Torres, his problem is that he's just too dumb to not throw dirty hits.

There are a lot of posts along these lines - I think mostly driven by emotion (which is understandable).

I do not know what basis you have to judge his intelligence. I've watched his whole career and seen interviews but I don't feel as though I know how smart he is or isn't.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I imagine a scenario where he comes out and plays the first few games timid and is completely ineffective. A huge portion of that contract is for him to be a wrecking ball, so he will slowly start to regain his edge in order to be an effective player. The positive feedback from fans, teammates, and the scoresheet will encourage him further. Almost inevitably he crosses the line again and gets suspended for another 40 games. The question in my mind is, how long does that process take? 15 games?

/Thread

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I imagine a scenario where he comes out and plays the first few games timid and is completely ineffective. A huge portion of that contract is for him to be a wrecking ball...

He scored 15 points in 21 playoff games last season. Maybe a couple of those points had anything to do with hitting.

Reactions: gtrower

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He scored 15 points in 21 playoff games last season. Maybe a couple of those points had anything to do with hitting.
He has a career high of 35 points in 78 games. He's not getting paid $5m+ for 35 points a year and a single great playoff run. His physicality is a huge part of what makes him effective and the value that he brings to his team.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I would've picked the first one, but the first choice show no accountability for the players that are putting themselves into a vulnerable position.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I'm surprised I'm so far in the minority with option 3, so I guess I'll elaborate.

He doesn't try to hit people high, he just plays hard and recklessly so it happens from time to time. He can't afford another escalating suspension, and the only way for him to eliminate those dangerous hits is just to stop playing like he does. Of course, that's what makes him effective so he'll just be a neutered version of himself.

He's locked in to a lot of money over the duration of his contract, as long as he can keep it legal and keep getting paid. If he's careful, he won't need big money contracts after this one is over.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He has a career high of 35 points in 78 games. He's not getting paid $5m+ for 35 points a year and a single great playoff run. His physicality is a huge part of what makes him effective and the value that he brings to his team.
Perhaps but his physicality is simply no longer allowed in this league.

More than his physicality, he is paid to play and contribute.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think it'll be a combination. He'll come back neutered for a little while, probably playing hard and hustling but throwing much fewer hits. Then he'll start ramping it up because of criticism that he's not worth that contract so he'll play hard with some questionable hits. Then he's going to get another long suspension. He'll probably cycle that a few times then finish off his contract playing a much more neutered game.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I think he would have learned his lesson. He forked up over 1m+ with his current suspension. Next time he does something stupid he may fork over a years salary. He wont get this type of money on his next contract if he keeps doing it.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He’ll continue to be a relatively clean but aggressive player who’s under a microscope where people label everything he does as dirty when other players do worse all the time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->