After our 5 game road trip

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Well we all know that the Senators took a spill after going on the road losing four straight before finally winning one against the Rangers tonight. That being said, it may have been rough but there is plenty to take away from the experience.

Our Senator's record on this road trip ended at 1-2-2, due to our ability to extend games to extra time we actually managed to secure 4 out of a possible 10 points. Sure if things had gone our way a little better we could have had a couple more, but I think salvaging 4/10 on this road trip is something we should be happy about. Add in the key final win against a team lower in the standings looking to bump us from the playoffs and we can take something positive from this.

Our team rarely takes a night off and continues to grind out points when we are expected to get none. I have no idea if we can make the playoffs, but if we continue at a 1 point per game pace we sure do have a good chance.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
but if we continue at a 1 point per game pace we sure do have a good chance.
I think we do. If we get points like we have on the road, I think we'll be in a position to push for the playoffs once Spezza returns. We are battling these guys:

6 Ottawa 30 points, 25 gp
9 Winnipeg 25 points, 24 gp
10 NY Islanders 23 points, 24 gp
11 Philadelphia 23 points, 25 gp
12 Washington 21 points, 22 gp
13 Tampa Bay 21 points, 24 gp

Bigup

Stache consultant
Jan 25, 2013
Ottawa
With everything that has happened so far in this season, I still can't believe how well we're doing. The heart this team has is top notch and refreshing to watch every night.
Goal tending has a lot to do with it though. If we continue to get decent work in nets then anything can happen. Hopefully we get in the post season. If so see you at SBP

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Spezza coming back is going to be like making a block buster trade. Dude is a PPG player, adding another goal per game that he either scores or sets up is going to be massive given the tending we've had. (yes i know PPG doesn't mean a point EVERY game, but he's impactful enough that he'll help us get some extra points)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Spezza coming back is going to be like making a block buster trade. Dude is a PPG player, adding another goal per game that he either scores or sets up is going to be massive given the tending we've had. (yes i know PPG doesn't mean a point EVERY game, but he's impactful enough that he'll help us get some extra points)

I think we'll notice at minimum, a 0.5 gpg more with spezza in the lineup. It will be HUGE.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Almost a guarantee that we'll see another member of this team bring home some hardware at the awards banquet. Paul MacLean.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Once Spezza comes back that will be a huge boost to the team. Don't forget that it also lets Turris slot back into the 2C slot where he will be more effective again.

Can't wait :D

Milan the God*

I was hoping for 5 points and we picked up 4.

Not bad.

Pretty much this. I'm hoping Sens can go .500+ til' Spezza gets back, then a late push for the playoffs.

Every game is so important right now. No matter who you're playing, the next game is always your biggest game of the year at this stage of the season.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Just wait until Turris gets one goal... I believe they will start coming in bunches for him after that. He has created too many plays around the net for it not to happen.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What I want to know is if there is any possible way Cowen will be back.

Getting Anderson and Spezza back would have got us an extra 2-3 points on that road trip.

We would have been looking at 6-7 points.

With Andy back soon, Spezza too and potentially Cowen, add in deadline trade for a top 6ish forward and we could make a deep run and even surprise the East.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Absolutely...and with Michalek back now and Smith slotting into the #1 C slot we've already seen a pretty huge boost in our offensive capabilities over the last two games (time will tell whether or not it can keep up).

I think with Spezza coming back we should look at maybe running 3 offensive lines.

Greening - Spezza - Stone (we know that Spezza can carry a line and be a ppg player pretty much independant of his linemates)
Michalek - Smith - Alfredsson (good chemistry here...they work very well together)
Silfverberg - Turris - Condra (this line could really buzz)
Regin/Daugavins - O'Brien - Neil

Once Spezza comes back that will be a huge boost to the team. Don't forget that it also lets Turris slot back into the 2C slot where he will be more effective again.

Can't wait :D

Turris has already done that over the last 2 games with Smith taking his spot on the top line and he has looked much more dangerous as a result.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
It was a bad trip but it wasn't a disaster. We need some breathing room.

The Toronto game was the worst. If Bishop gives them half decent goaltending they get 6 out of a possible 10 points. Although they still lose 3 of 5, the OT points make it a good road stint. I hate that loss because after the dry spell they finally score 4 goals and Bishop chooses that game to stink like his 1st game this year.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think with Spezza coming back we should look at maybe running 3 offensive lines.

Greening - Spezza - Stone (we know that Spezza can carry a line and be a ppg player pretty much independant of his linemates)
Michalek - Smith - Alfredsson (good chemistry here...they work very well together)
Silfverberg - Turris - Condra (this line could really buzz)
Regin/Daugavins - O'Brien - Neil

I agree on the 3 scoring lines but where is Zibby here? Maybe he plays with Silf and Turris (although the Greening - Turris - Silf line has looked good so far too).

I would leave the Michalek line together but hell, why not add Zibby and Stone with Spezza just to see if they can make anything happen? Then you can leave the Smith and Turris lines as they are now and however the 4th line gets put together you know you have a good group.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I agree on the 3 scoring lines but where is Zibby here? Maybe he plays with Silf and Turris (although the Greening - Turris - Silf line has looked good so far too).

I would leave the Michalek line together but hell, why not add Zibby and Stone with Spezza just to see if they can make anything happen? Then you can leave the Smith and Turris lines as they are now and however the 4th line gets put together you know you have a good group.

It was a bit of a brainfart on my part. I corrected them later.

Greening - Spezza - Stone/Condra
Michalek - Smith - Alfredsson
Silfverberg - Turris - Condra/Stone
Regin/Daugavins - Zibanejad - Neil

Dat centre depth.

source

Jul 13, 2008
What I want to know is if there is any possible way Cowen will be back.

Getting Anderson and Spezza back would have got us an extra 2-3 points on that road trip.

We would have been looking at 6-7 points.

With Andy back soon, Spezza too and potentially Cowen, add in deadline trade for a top 6ish forward and we could make a deep run and even surprise the East.

I'm just hoping Cowen is ready to play the 2013-2014 season in good form. There's no chance he is ready in time for April/May.

Spezza should be less rusty, but he'll need a few regular season games to get his motor going again.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm just hoping Cowen is ready to play the 2013-2014 season in good form. There's no chance he is ready in time for April/May.

Spezza should be less rusty, but he'll need a few regular season games to get his motor going again.

Cowen has started skating. I'd think there would be a slight chance of him returning for playoff time in 2 months if we get there. That's what I meant.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I guess everyone is expecting that Spezza will just step right into the lineup & produce immediately. It could take him a while to get up to speed, skill, shape & timing. Anderson has been off for a shorter time & as he showed with his hand injury last yr he should be fine. Those two additions should help as will if Murray can add a little toughness at the trade deadline (Parros).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Greening - Turris - Alfredsson
Z. Smith - Zibanejad - Stone
Parros - JOB - Neil/Condra/DD
- place Daugavins on waivers

Wiercioch - Gonchar - may not be able to deal Gonchar at the deadline
Methot - Petry
Phillips - Gryba/Lundin
- place Benoit on waivers

Anderson - Lehner

To Edmonton: Bishop
To Ottawa: Petry

To Florida: Condra or Regin
To Ottawa: Parros

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I guess everyone is expecting that Spezza will just step right into the lineup & produce immediately. It could take him a while to get up to speed, skill, shape & timing. Anderson has been off for a shorter time & as he showed with his hand injury last yr he should be fine. Those two additions should help as will if Murray can add a little toughness at the trade deadline (Parros).

Agreed. Spezza will definitely be in rough form following back surgery. Don't expect too big of a boost if he's coming back really late in the season .

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
But he will be rested and motivated and without his back pains. He was a ppg to begin the season without even being his normal good. He'll step in and make an impact, but hopefully we can continue winning with him.

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
But he will be rested and motivated and without his back pains. He was a ppg to begin the season without even being his normal good. He'll step in and make an impact, but hopefully we can continue winning with him.

Definitely. Plus his ability to slot into the top line and move our other centers into their natural spots will solidify our lineups offensive ability even if Spezza isn't at a PPG pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->