After losing weight

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Hey guys, this is the closest part we have to a health-forum, a lot of weight specific things go in here so I figured I'd ask a couple of these questions in here.

I just lost 120 pounds in 7 months, and began skating again, everything feels 10x better, however my skates are to big for my feet...i spent a good amount of cash on these skates and don't want to go buy new ones, is there anyway to get the sides of the skates to get closer to my feet so its tighter? I know skate baking is an option...

Also, Im a 21 year old guy, with a great head of hair, however after losing the weight so fast, im starting to notice some of my hair is starting to get thin...is there a relation to the weightloss and the hairloss?

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
For the skates, I loop my laces around the bottoms of my skate and back up and that tightens my skates to my feet a little more. For the hair loss? I wish I could help but I have not a clue about that.

Reverend_Hellh0und

Apr 20, 2006
Hey guys, this is the closest part we have to a health-forum, a lot of weight specific things go in here so I figured I'd ask a couple of these questions in here.

I just lost 120 pounds in 7 months, and began skating again, everything feels 10x better, however my skates are to big for my feet...i spent a good amount of cash on these skates and don't want to go buy new ones, is there anyway to get the sides of the skates to get closer to my feet so its tighter? I know skate baking is an option...

Also, Im a 21 year old guy, with a great head of hair, however after losing the weight so fast, im starting to notice some of my hair is starting to get thin...is there a relation to the weightloss and the hairloss?

How the heck did yoiu do that?

skogsstar

Mar 19, 2008
Värmland/DF

Great work! But dammit, nothing is more important than skates fitting so I wont give any advices on double layer of socks or anything like that. Just get another pair of skates. You owe it to yourself after all. :handclap:

LilWinger11

Aug 27, 2006
Connecticut
How did you lose the weight? Did you talk to your doc or a nutritionist or anything? Anorexics frequently have thinning hair- not saying you have an eating disorder, but that's a lot of weight, and you lost it really quickly... maybe the hair loss could be related to a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

It can't hurt to try baking the skates again, but with that big a weight loss I'd be surprised if it really helped. You could also try putting a pair of innersoles in them to take up some of the extra room. In the long run, you're probably going to need new skates, though. My skate size changed after I lost weight a few years ago, and I only lost about a third of what you did.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Try an athletic shoe insert or one of those insole inserts you can get at a drug store. You maybe able to get away with just a heel lift or something.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
congrats on losing so much weight. I lost 60 pounds in 8 months and my doctor said that was way too much too fast (I'd hate to see what he would say about your rapid weight loss).

For your hair loss you must look at your diet. I got this from a site that I am a member of....

Cause
Hair loss can occur due to low thyroid functioning, poor digestion, parasites, nutrient deficiencies such as iron or biotin, hormonal problems, aging, trauma, post-pregnancy, skin disease, diabetes, chemotherapy, and stress. All of these factors must be considered and ruled out to be sure hair loss is not part of a more serious, underlying condition.

Obviously you can eliminate some of the causes and you can get tested for others.

Also it goes on to say that it is hereditary. So if anyone in your family is bald then that also could be why.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
Go to a well known skate or pro shop and see what they say. Typically, they can help get the skates to fit perfect. But, if the skates are so big they can't be fitted, they your forced to get new skates. They can even take measurements and will know if the skates can be agjusted, to save you money from baking or whatever needs to be done. If the skates are new, I'm sure you'll be able to sell them locally to get some of your money back.

Oh yea, GREAT work losing the weight. Keep it up man, fantastic news.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
How'd you lose the weight? Sometimes certain diets can cause stress and affect your hair among other things.

maybe the hair loss could be related to a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

Yeah, Congrats on the loss.....

It can't hurt to try baking the skates again, but with that big a weight loss I'd be surprised if it really helped. You could also try putting a pair of innersoles in them to take up some of the extra room. In the long run, you're probably going to need new skates, though. My skate size changed after I lost weight a few years ago, and I only lost about a third of what you did.

My wife started losing hair after the my daughter was born, mainly since she was giving all the nutrients to the baby. Our Doc told us this is typical, and in some way i will relate my daughter and wife to you hair loss: depending on Diet/exersize, you may have been depriving yourself of some of these vitamins & nutrients.

Like LilWinger said, Try baking and the insole first rather than busting out the checkbook. But another suggestion would be to sell your skates to offset the price and get a new pair. It may be your best option. Skates are probably one of the pcs of equipment you do not want to sacrifice. Maybe i should take my own advice and get a new pair rather than having them stretched all the time...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Baking will stretch skates, won't shrink them. Treat yourself to a new pair! I skated in skates half a size too big and suffered terrible cramps and blisters and my feet rolled around. Got new skates, and immediately my edges and skating improved and have not had a single sore spot.

We'reGonnaWin*

If they're too long, you can try to jam something solid into the toecap. Double-socking might work, but I'm thinking it leaves you vulnerable to blistering if your foot is rubbing around.
To solve the excess volume problem from your "slimmer" foot, try an insole like Superfeet Grey. Those will take up some of the volume from the bottom.

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
Just buy new skates. Seriously. You can always sell the other ones. Any sort of alterations will have an effect on your skating. Nothing is more important that the fit of your skates so make sure you get fitted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad