Pre-Game Talk: After all, tomorrow is another day ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-McKegg-Wilson
Kuhnhackl-Rowney-Archibald

Please run with these lines.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm not even mad. I think we should all give the team some leeway for a rough start after all the hockey we have played. Not that angry because we just won back to back stanley f***in cups, if any team deserves a little leeway for a rough start it's clearly the Pens. Obviously games like that should not happen and let bad habits sink in because a winner does not know how to give up buti'm willing to give them a little break right now. It's only game 2 of the regular season, let's move past this game and work on the next one with improvements.

Reactions: ncm7772

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Would be totally fine easing Letang in. He's not at the point where he should be over 20 mins. Let him get some games, knock off the rust, and get back into it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-McKegg-Wilson

I like those a lot. Definitely a fan. Down the road, McKegg can go to L4 C and a 3C could pop on in there. Would be very sweet. Wilson eventually w/ McKegg on L4 and Horny in the top 6 where Rust can go back and play with Sheary on L3. Ohhh yeah. Lots of options. I like. Just need to get healthy and make the right move!

Oh and.. umm defense? Play defense.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree with whoever said that Sully's system may be too difficult to play for an entire season. Even last year, there were numerous defensive breakdowns and we were relying on high shooting percentages.

I think they'd be better served dialing back a little by playing a more simplistic style, less balls to the walls, and more defensive system for the first half of the season, and then get into the speed, high forecheck after January. It worked in 2015-16. I think we'd see more energy for the playoff run and more possession and more shots taken

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Well, it's not like we can do worse than yesterday, right?

I hope Murray has a good game.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-McKegg-Wilson

Interesting. I think I'd also like to see Rust and Wilson flipped to see how it fits. I think Rust is at his best on his own line and Wilson had a bit of success in the past with Sid. It might not work but if it did, that's 3 dangerous lines.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Hopefully tomorrow they play on their toes with more stick on puck

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I agree with whoever said that Sully's system may be too difficult to play for an entire season. Even last year, there were numerous defensive breakdowns and we were relying on high shooting percentages.

I think they'd be better served dialing back a little by playing a more simplistic style, less balls to the walls, and more defensive system for the first half of the season, and then get into the speed, high forecheck after January. It worked in 2015-16. I think we'd see more energy for the playoff run and more possession and more shots taken

Yeah I think there might be something to this. Start the year making the simple play, being defensively responsible but keeping the puck moving. Making sure everyone always knows their assignment etc. D only pinch on obvious plays. After a few weeks start adding stuff back in.

With how little practice they get during the season it might be smarter to do it that way rather than practicing higher level stuff early in the season. I don't know that it's how complicated it is, just that it's a system that requires that everyone is skating hard and everyone is on the same page covering for each other. Maybe doing it in that order would produce the same effect as changing the coach has in the past.

Also I think it's a bit early to talk about lines. Everyone was so bad at fundamentally playing the game that we can worry about that later. There isn't a magic lineup solution to guys not picking anyone up and allowing cross crease passes into the slot.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I don't really even care if they lose. I just want to see some organization and effort this game. A win would be nice, but this team needs baby steps right now.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
They gotta dress Archie. Have to. You don't have Horny to provide a spark right now? Archie's the next best thing.
I'd sit Kuhn. Under 6 CF% 5on5 vs CHI. Worst by a large margin. Watching him just tie up pucks along the boards and nothing else in the OZ is frustrating to watch.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Hags-G-Phil/Archie
Sheary-McKegg-Phil/Archie
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

If you wanna stick to Sid and the kids:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-G-Phil/Archie
Hags-McKegg-Phill/Archie
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They gotta dress Archie. Have to. You don't have Horny to provide a spark right now? Archie's the next best thing.
I'd sit Kuhn. Under 6 CF% 5on5 vs CHI. Worst by a large margin. Watching him just tie up pucks along the boards and nothing else in the OZ is frustrating to watch.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Hags-G-Phil/Archie
Sheary-McKegg-Phil/Archie
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

If you wanna stick to Sid and the kids:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-G-Phil/Archie
Hags-McKegg-Phill/Archie
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

I think you can only have one of Rowney/Kuhn/Reaves in the same lineup and not lose the Pens identity.

If the Pens can eventually ice something like Archie McKegg Reaves, I think they will have the kind of fourth line we are hoping for. Archie is also a top notch PK guy that is a shorthanded machine (but you already know that).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think you can only have one of Rowney/Kuhn/Reaves in the same lineup and not lose the Pens identity.

If the Pens can eventually ice something like Archie McKegg Reaves, I think they will have the kind of fourth line we are hoping for. Archie is also a top notch PK guy that is a shorthanded machine (but you already know that).

Yea, you can see the moves too that can make this happen.

Was thinking tonight that the new slashing calls may have played a part in some of the poor play. Our smaller lineup has been sorta letting up with their feet and being tentative/waiving their sticks low to avoid calls and not chipping bodies as Sully likes to say.

Just something that popped in my head tonight watching some of the games.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

One concern is that they need to be fully healthy AND add a 3C in order to only play one of them and "not lose the Pens identity". Considering the 3C may be a bit away and this team will never be healthy ever, I'm really hoping some of the WBS guys can step up as the call ups. Otherwise we'll likely be seeing all three of Rowney/Kuhn/Reaves a decent bit in the lineup together.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also I think it's a bit early to talk about lines. Everyone was so bad at fundamentally playing the game that we can worry about that later. There isn't a magic lineup solution to guys not picking anyone up and allowing cross crease passes into the slot.

Perhaps, but we are seeing issues that we saw last season as well. Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary is a liability without the puck. Geno-Kessel really needs a strong defensive winger, and Hagelin is the strongest available. Third line needs a speedster with some skill to really make things happen.

These aren't magic solutions, but they're probably good moves to make.

How? Even if the coaching staff wanted to, they couldn't. Cole and Hunwick look like AHL fodder together.

Obvious solution -

Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Hunwick

I don't get why they ran those lines all pre-season then changed it up right at the last. I like Maatta-Schultz, but it does change the dynamics.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I don't think "that's it."

In 2015/16 saw a changing of the guard in coaching, system and players. The Pens lost a lot of those players, their depth is not what it was. To think they'll just ramp it up then, later, is fools gold.

The simple solution is to take some of the heat off the top two lines and give Kessel his own again. That will help even if there isn't a suitable 3C for him.

That spreads their depth a little, and it'll help when Hornqvist gets back.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Obvious solution -

Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Hunwick

I don't get why they ran those lines all pre-season then changed it up right at the last. I like Maatta-Schultz, but it does change the dynamics.

This is what I said in the other thread. Go back to Cole/Schultz (where Cole is actually good), and go with Maatta/Hunwick as the bottom pairing. Hunwick can cover for Maatta's slow reads, and it also helps Maatta's offensive game, allowing him to be the "offensive guy" of the pairing, instead of worrying about being more defensive for Schultz.

Oh and for the love of God, play Schultz on the top PP unit. Letang's rusty as hell and shouldn't be thrust into a spot he's never been great at to begin with when they have a better option available to them.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Perhaps, but we are seeing issues that we saw last season as well. Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary is a liability without the puck. Geno-Kessel really needs a strong defensive winger, and Hagelin is the strongest available. Third line needs a speedster with some skill to really make things happen.

These aren't magic solutions, but they're probably good moves to make.

Obvious solution -

Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Hunwick

Because with Botterill gone, the people left are mostly worried about feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad