The chase for the playoffs (standings, scoreboard watching, and, of course, sagacious commentary)

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I don’t know why you’re so confident in Florida.
They average 3.68 goals a game and Bob is a second half of the season guy. They also have 6-7 guys who are going to score 20+ goals this year, and can roll 4 lines. I think they add another Dman too at the TDL. Very complete team (Hoffman on their 3rd line!) just missing a better 3C.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
They average 3.68 goals a game and Bob is a second half of the season guy. They also have 6-7 guys who are going to score 20+ goals this year, and can roll 4 lines. I think they add another Dman too at the TDL. Very complete team (Hoffman on their 3rd line!) just missing a better 3C.
They're also behind us.

Even if you give them credit for their points in hand, we're within three points of them.

I mean, it's not unreasonable to look at what they have and think they're good. I'm just not as confident as you are. And even if I'm wrong, I'm not as starstruck by the Toronto Maple Leafs, either. If Florida moves up in the Atlantic, Toronto could wind up in the Wild Card mix, and we're only two points back of them right now as well.

There's a lot of hockey left, and we've got goaltending. And some firepower coming back.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I’ll simplify it for you. We are not in the playoffs currently. We are outside the WC trying to chase Philly, Carolina and Florida for the wild card. Carolina is WC1, fighting for Metro 3 (guaranteed spot). Islanders are Metro 3 seed. Florida is most likely making the playoffs. So, we are battling Philly, Carolina and Florida for the Wild card spots, one of which will be taken by Florida. We need to catch NYI because then it is guaranteed you make the playoffs.

Aiming for the 3rd spot in Metro and out winning teams in Wild card spots is not moving the goalposts. 3rd in the metro minimum is the goal. Only top 3 are GUARANTEED to make the PO. Again, we need a win streak of 6 to even begin to have a chance of fighting for that spot.

Coming in 4th in the Metro is a virtual playoff lock, but now you're saying we need to finish top 3.

The goal posts are now out of the damn stadium.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I would argue that neither is particularly reasonable.

* * *​

Undoubtedly this streak is unusual (as much as I'm enjoying it ;) ). I would posit, however, that the streak of ugliness that started the season was likewise unusual, despite some folks proposing sweeping conclusions otherwise (to borrow your SH% example, recall how ludicrously low the team's shooting percentage was earlier in the season). We're seeing the happy side of regression to the mean. We're probably not regularly as good as we're showing right now, but we weren't as bad as we looked in October and November either.
Interestingly enough though, when the Jackets were in the top 10/top half of the league in most advanced metrics they were much lower in the standings. What held them back previously was that incredibly low shooting percentage. Of all people, Ryan Lambert of Yahoo had an article a couple weeks back about it.

Intereting that during this great last month things have reversed

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
BE089B76-65A9-4EC5-BA9D-2309CBBA5461.jpeg

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
After 48games. We have 56points. Philly has 56pointa.Carolina 57p Toronto 57p. Florida has 55 but they have only 46games. Islanders 60p (46games). This is gonna be one hell of a ride!

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
To make the playoffs, you need about 98 points historically. So in 34 games they need to get 42 more points. They are a bit below pace but given the very bad start, multiple injuries and goal differential, I am not sure they could be in a much better position. But it is highly unlikely that a team with an even goal differential is getting 42 points in 34 games. Since I don't think the goals against of the past 2 months is likely to continue, they better figure out a way to bump up the scoring or they will likely fall a bit short.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Phi are winning too but at least cbj have the row. so they would be in real possession of the wc1 after tonight. pretty cool stuff

Reactions: Byrral

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
With Toronto’s loss today (and our win of course) we are now in the top-8 in the East in point percentage for the first time this season.

ETA: I guess I actually don’t know that. We started the year 5-3-2, so we may have been at that point, before we then went on a 0-4-1 stretch. Regardless, I’m confident in saying it’s the first time we’ve been top-8 in point percentage since October.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

It is what it is.

Along with 2+ years later than it should have been.

As I said all along, the CBJ defense and overall team had a MUCH GREATER impact on Bobrovsky than they were ever given credit for. At the same time Bobrovsky was always seen as the MAIN reason the CBJ had whatever success they've had recently, and "playoff Bob" was REAL, and DID NOT just occur during the playoffs.

Cant wait to get Korpisalo back. Whether people want to believe it or not, he significantly improves the team.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It is what it is.

Along with 2+ years later than it should have been.

As I said all along, the CBJ defense and overall team had a MUCH GREATER impact on Bobrovsky than they were ever given credit for. At the same time Bobrovsky was always seen as the MAIN reason the CBJ had whatever success they've had recently, and "playoff Bob" was REAL, and DID NOT just occur during the playoffs.

Cant wait to get Korpisalo back. Whether people want to believe it or not, he significantly improves the team.

Your two paragraphs contradict each other. Are we successful because of the defense (and the sample sizes, small as they may be, from Elvis and Matiss, show that's likely the case) or does one single goaltender (who doesn't have two Vezinas) significantly improve the team?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Your two paragraphs contradict each other. Are we successful because of the defense (and the sample sizes, small as they may be, from Elvis and Matiss, show that's likely the case) or does one single goaltender (who doesn't have two Vezinas) significantly improve the team?
Bingo. I too thought Bob was the reason for our success, but now I firmly believe it’s the defense and the system

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad