The chase for the playoffs (standings, scoreboard watching, and, of course, sagacious commentary)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We have played more games than every team we are battling with. We are behind Carolina, Florida and Philly in points percentage. We will need to be 4th in the Metropolitan to make the playoffs. Ideally we get to battle for the 3/4 spot in the metro.. in other words we need to catch NYI and Carolina..... so a win streak.

This is a lot of goal post moving in a single post.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
We have played more games than every team we are battling with. We are behind Carolina, Florida and Philly in points percentage. We will need to be 4th in the Metropolitan to make the playoffs. Ideally we get to battle for the 3/4 spot in the metro.. in other words we need to catch NYI and Carolina..... so a win streak.
Philadelphia have not looked that great lately

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Bro what...

Point percentage matters, especially when there are multiple teams who have played a different amount of games. A 3 game win streak usually helps you gain 1 point in the standings- because the teams we are chasing are going to win at least 1/3 games.

Each bolded sentence represents a goal post move. Are we battling CAR, PHI, and FLA? Do we need to be 4th (already conceding Florida makes it in at this point in the season? Lol) in the Metro? Or do we need to catch the Islanders/Hurricanes?

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Just checked the schedule. After Boston and Canes there will be a prolonged stretch of 10-12 games against below average teams.

The schedule does get scarier heading into March. March is also the time when maybe teams starting clicking as they fight for PO.

If the Jackets want to make it into April then now is the time to continue getting points as its way easier than at the final stage.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

pled

Sep 7, 2009
pretty much a week later. and still tied. still nice too.

I do enjoy the team not being last !

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I hesitate to do this but I'm beginning to believe. Jackets are playing super defense all over the ice including clearing rebounds in front of Elvis. I still am not sure about the offense but you can't argue with the recent streak. The big worry to me at this point is if/when the big 3 RW's return is will the effort/attitude that has fueled recent success continue? Hopefully it does but chemistry can be screwed up by small changes.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Im in love with this team. Gerbe is 150cm tall with an umbrella and still he give big hits and take no step backs. Elvis giving fistbumb for post after puck hits it, hes celebrations after wins , they are just i dont know that passion! This is just two players but the hole team has been outstanding. Even the Pooh has found his honeyjar. Things can change but at this moment lets just enjoy.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
We have won 23 games and lost 24 (8 in overtime or shootout). Our goal differential is 0. We are tied for 8th in points. Mediocrity never felt so good.

Perfect time for me to post some personal feelings on this.... :nod:

Some might not like to hear it, however, there are (many) fans of the Columbus Blue Jackets that EMBRACE this "mediocrity" as you (and others) have put it, whether sarcastically or sadly 100% sincere. :thumbu:

I could legitimately make the case that these fans ARE the most "genuine" (or "TRUU") fans of the team, as the historical standing that the CBJ will ALWAYS have in the grand scheme of the league and in relation to other more "prestigious" teams, is essentially the entire basis of WHY the said person actually decided to show allegiance to the team originally. :puppy:

Some people "gravitate" towards the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Detroit Red Wings, the New England Patriots, the Los Angeles Lakers, the Boston Red Sox, the New York Rangers/Yankees, the Ohio State Buckeyes, etc..... you get the point, yet, some people gravitate towards the opposite: The Columbus Blue Jackets. :whaaa?:

To them, I dedicate this thread.

A thread WE DESERVE.

Where your, "games in hand", "top 6 forwards", "playoff experience" and "historical franchise prestige", MEAN NOTHING MOVING FORWARD.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Some people "gravitate" towards the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Detroit Red Wings, the New England Patriots, the Los Angeles Lakers, the Boston Red Sox, the New York Rangers/Yankees, the Ohio State Buckeyes, etc..... you get the point, yet, some people gravitate towards the opposite: The Columbus Blue Jackets. :whaaa?:
Speaking as a fan of both the Buckeyes and the Blue Jackets, I'm pretty sure you're working with a false dichotomy here.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
CBJ are 12-2-4 since December 9th. That point % is 3rd in the league during that time. They are T-2 for most wins in that span and have the fewest regulation losses as well.

On the flip side, they have the 3rd-worst CF% (5v5) during that time period and their 5v5 xGF% of 46.99% is 23rd in the league. They are greatly outperforming their underlying metrics - largely on the back of stellar goaltending.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Each bolded sentence represents a goal post move. Are we battling CAR, PHI, and FLA? Do we need to be 4th (already conceding Florida makes it in at this point in the season? Lol) in the Metro? Or do we need to catch the Islanders/Hurricanes?
I’ll simplify it for you. We are not in the playoffs currently. We are outside the WC trying to chase Philly, Carolina and Florida for the wild card. Carolina is WC1, fighting for Metro 3 (guaranteed spot). Islanders are Metro 3 seed. Florida is most likely making the playoffs. So, we are battling Philly, Carolina and Florida for the Wild card spots, one of which will be taken by Florida. We need to catch NYI because then it is guaranteed you make the playoffs.

Aiming for the 3rd spot in Metro and out winning teams in Wild card spots is not moving the goalposts. 3rd in the metro minimum is the goal. Only top 3 are GUARANTEED to make the PO. Again, we need a win streak of 6 to even begin to have a chance of fighting for that spot.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I’ll simplify it for you. We are not in the playoffs currently. We are outside the WC trying to chase Philly, Carolina and Florida for the wild card. Carolina is WC1, fighting for Metro 3 (guaranteed spot). Islanders are Metro 3 seed. Florida is most likely making the playoffs. So, we are battling Philly, Carolina and Florida for the Wild card spots, one of which will be taken by Florida. We need to catch NYI because then it is guaranteed you make the playoffs.

Aiming for the 3rd spot in Metro and out winning teams in Wild card spots is not moving the goalposts. 3rd in the metro minimum is the goal. Only top 3 are GUARANTEED to make the PO. Again, we need a win streak of 6 to even begin to have a chance of fighting for that spot.
I don’t know why you’re so confident in Florida.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad