The chase for the playoffs (standings, scoreboard watching, and, of course, sagacious commentary)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Oh no we suck again!

Back to 10th place.

This is basically where I thought we would be (just on outside looking in). Now I didn't expect the goal tending to step up so soon so that does give us a lot of hope we can stay in the fight.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Scoring more goals THAN THE OTHER TEAM wins games.

I’d rather win 2-1 and have this board whine about scoring than lose 6-4 and have a team full of guys with bunch of points.
Goal differential for CBJ:

2019/20 -6 (20th)
18/19 25 (12th) Lose 4-2 2nd Rd
17/18 10 (14th) Lose 4-2 1st Rd
16/17 54 Bob Vezina (3rd) Swept 1st Rd
15/16 -35 (26) Miss playoffs

@Monstershockey
CBJ13/14 under Tod Richards +15 (11th) and look at the roster he had..

CBJ 08/09 under Ken Hitchcock -4 (18th) and look at that team..

Both were fired.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don't see your point. Yeah both were fired, both also only had 1 playoff appearance. Torts has 3 playoffs. He will get fired eventually, just probably not this year. He is doing a fine job considering the circumstances. Why does he not deserve a chance to retool? He has this team playing decent. If they can make some improvements this off season there is no reason they can't contend next year, with Torts as coach. They have to play solid defense to win games because they aren't going to win a lot of high scoring games. They start playing games where they try to dictate the offense, the odd man rushes will go up, along with our goalies GAA. This is the style they have to play right now.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Got beat by the crappy Sharks twice in a week.... Both games the CBJ looked a step short.. Foligno needs to step it up, look'n like a retired player these days..

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
I dont get this. We have got points 14games in last 16games, and now we are bad team? Wtf? If this points drop to us like this way, we dont have any problems.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I dont get this. We have got points 14games in last 16games, and now we are bad team? Wtf? If this points drop to us like this way, we dont have any problems.

Not to be a downer but 14 points in 16 games is less than 50% of the possible points and isn't a playoff pace.

By my count it is 22 points in the last 16 games. That is much better.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not to be a downer but 14 points in 16 games is less than 50% of the possible points and isn't a playoff pace.

By my count it is 22 points in the last 16 games. That is much better.

a re-read of Fin’s post I believe indicates they’re saying the Jackets have gotten points in 14 of the last 16 games.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
CBJ now are 7th in the NHL in goals allowed per game (2.75 GA per game).

Goals scored is ranked 27th (2.62 per game)

Goals differential is T20 at -6.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
CBJ now are 7th in the NHL in goals allowed per game (2.75 GA per game).

Goals scored is ranked 27th (2.62 per game)

Goals differential is T20 at -6.
I think Torts is playing the correct style for the team he has - one with limited finishers. But the goal scoring is just too anemic. Our vets - Foligno Wennberg and Nash have to deliver more offense. Boone, too.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I think Torts is playing the correct style for the team he has - one with limited finishers. But the goal scoring is just too anemic. Our vets - Foligno Wennberg and Nash have to deliver more offense. Boone, too.
It should probably also be pointed out that for a long stretch of time, the problem wasn't lack of chances, it was a lack of FINISHING. Sure, there were a few games where we just stank up the joint. But for the most part, opportunities were there.

Cam Atkinson is a gifted goal-scorer in this league, and he was missing breakaways every other game. He couldn't finish a peanut butter sandwich. And he's far from the only one.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It should probably also be pointed out that for a long stretch of time, the problem wasn't lack of chances, it was a lack of FINISHING. Sure, there were a few games where we just stank up the joint. But for the most part, opportunities were there.

Cam Atkinson is a gifted goal-scorer in this league, and he was missing breakaways every other game. He couldn't finish a peanut butter sandwich. And he's far from the only one.
We don’t finish because we have very few finishers. Generally we get a live demonstration during every Jacket shootout.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
We have one problem and its scoring. Goalies play very well, defence is great but the offence needs someone who can lead this offence. Jarmo has hard choose who gets traded and for what. We are going to playoffs.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Took 3/4 on a brutal West Coast road trip. Yes, LA and Anaheim suck. But San Jose (Regardless of their record, they have talent all over that roster) and Vegas are no slouches. Pretty nice stretch.

Doesn't get any easier though. Next 5 are Boston, Carolina, New Jersey, @ New York R, and Winnipeg. Need to get those wins against the division teams. That's how you climb and start separating.

Reactions: Madifer

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Took 3/4 on a brutal West Coast road trip. Yes, LA and Anaheim suck. But San Jose (Regardless of their record, they have talent all over that roster) and Vegas are no slouches. Pretty nice stretch.

Doesn't get any easier though. Next 5 are Boston, Carolina, New Jersey, @ New York R, and Winnipeg. Need to get those wins against the division teams. That's how you climb and start separating.
Realistically we need to be fourth in the Metro (minimum) to make the playoffs because Florida will make it.

Last edited:

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Random thoughts...to me it's a three team race for the second WC. Carolina I think is too good to fall back so that leaves the CBJ, Flyers, and Panthers to battle it out...the Jackets record when they score three goals or more this year is 20-3-1...Elvis' stats since he took over 7 games ago are .943 save % with a 1.86 GAA. Both of those numbers would place him first by a country mile among other goalies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
We're...tied?
We have played more games than every team we are battling with. We are behind Carolina, Florida and Philly in points percentage. We will need to be 4th in the Metropolitan to make the playoffs. Ideally we get to battle for the 3/4 spot in the metro.. in other words we need to catch NYI and Carolina..... so a win streak.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Got beat by the crappy Sharks twice in a week.... Both games the CBJ looked a step short.. Foligno needs to step it up, look'n like a retired player these days..

Play style issue with San Jose.

We're also what 2-0-1 against Washington?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad