After 20 games...

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Not to make excuses, but it would be nice to get more than 1 or 2 pp's a game sometime. Hard to get a rhythm going when you actually go on the pp less than everybody else.
But it's worth it for all those favors the league does for the bruins, right?

Dead last in the NHL with only 52 opportunities in 20 games. The Avs are second-last with one less game played and five more powerplays.

The San Jose Sharks? One more game than the Bruins and 40 more powerplay opps. That is an INCREDIBLE disparity.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Dead last in the NHL with only 52 opportunities in 20 games. The Avs are second-last with one less game played and five more powerplays.

The San Jose Sharks? One more game than the Bruins and 40 more powerplay opps. That is an INCREDIBLE disparity.

For sure.

The good side of that is that when the playoffs start and the calls league wide goes down, the Bruins don't have to adapt and win games with less PP opportunities. They already know how to win these games.

As long as the referees don't call to many crap things against the Bruins, I certainly can live with very few PP both ways as I like our chance more times than not playing 5 on 5 hockey.

Mr. Make-Believe

I will add to the thread:

1) This team's top three lines have had more shifts of absolute possession dominance than I have ever seen from this team. They are not translating it into the kind of offense I would expect, but it's early yet and I believe those numbers will come. There are usually about a half dozen points in each game where the opposition's transition game is completely overwhelmed (rendered helpless) by the Bruins. Best I've ever seen from this team.

2) The defense from Chara down is so much more active and more involved than I've seen perhaps ever. Certainly in this era. Like everyone on the blueline is playing with an exceptional amount of confidence. And with this new active and mobile defense...

3)... we still see the Bruins atop the league in defense and PK. Rask has been a rock. Johnson has been good when called upon. And the Bruins have not missed a beat even with a drastically different looking team.

Randoms: MAN, would I love to see some finish from our forwards. Iginla has had so many golden chances and thrown a TON at the net, only to not have much to show for it. Lucic is capitalizing and looks like a better player than we've ever seen. Brad Marchand has needed some time, but has looked much closer to his actual self in the last half dozen games. And I genuinely LOVE the third line of Smith/Kelly/Soderberg. Not a thing I'd change about it.

Mr. Make-Believe

For sure.

The good side of that is that when the playoffs start and the calls league wide goes down, the Bruins don't have to adapt and win games with less PP opportunities. They already know how to win these games.

As long as the referees don't call to many crap things against the Bruins, I certainly can live with very few PP both ways as I like our chance more times than not playing 5 on 5 hockey.

Oh, agreed. The Bruins have been among the top of the pops for five on five play for several years now. Plays to this team's hand, the less special teams are played.

But speaking specifically to nyc's point: The B's PP% is lower than I would expect from what I see on the ice. And I think that has a lot to do with a lack of opportunity to see it in action. No rhythm can be gained. We finally have a powerplay in the arsenal and it seems as though we so rarely get a chance to use it.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Bruins have won two games in which the goaltender had a save % of less than .931. The standings don't reveal the whole picture. I wouldn't be that confident in the team as it is right now when it comes to winning the Stanley Cup.

You can never be confident about a team winning a cup in November.

Yeah the team wins a lot of games because of good goaltending. Big Surprise they have arguably the best goaltender in the league right now. As good as Rask has been, it doesn't feel like he is standing on his head. Rather it feels like he has been steady and solid, and playing within himself.

Honestly I look at the Bruins as a team who have played pretty good hockey so far, but who also pretty clearly have not hit on all cylinders and gone on a hot streak yet.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't even think we're playing to our full potential right now. So I'm pretty content.

We've let some easy ones slip away, and Rask has saved our hide multiple times. But so far I'm loving this season. This team is built for the playoffs, we just have to get there. Should not be a problem in any fashion...

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
I like the fact that they are still a top defensive team, even with the emergence of the kids on the back-end!!!

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Iginla while not producing the way I think most people expected him to.. I freakin' LOVE his play. I'm sure the general opinion would be different if the Bruins were a .500 or less team right now.

The dude looks fast for being "old".. he's strong on the puck, he's great at passing.. he's even pretty good on defense and back checking which I didn't expect AT ALL. Literally the only thing he's not doing is scoring goals right now. Once they start going in (and I fully expect them to sooner rather than later), Iginla is going to be my next man crush.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Iginla while not producing the way I think most people expected him to.. I freakin' LOVE his play. I'm sure the general opinion would be different if the Bruins were a .500 or less team right now.

The dude looks fast for being "old".. he's strong on the puck, he's great at passing.. he's even pretty good on defense and back checking which I didn't expect AT ALL. Literally the only thing he's not doing is scoring goals right now. Once they start going in (and I fully expect them to sooner rather than later), Iginla is going to be my next man crush.

His motor is unreal. The man plays his b***s off. As far as compete level goes, he's been one of our more consistent players. I feel like the goals will pile up as the season goes along. He's been getting the chances and all of the other parts of his game are where they need to be. I've been very happy with him so far.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.

I will add to the thread:

1) This team's top three lines have had more shifts of absolute possession dominance than I have ever seen from this team. They are not translating it into the kind of offense I would expect, but it's early yet and I believe those numbers will come. There are usually about a half dozen points in each game where the opposition's transition game is completely overwhelmed (rendered helpless) by the Bruins. Best I've ever seen from this team.

2) The defense from Chara down is so much more active and more involved than I've seen perhaps ever. Certainly in this era. Like everyone on the blueline is playing with an exceptional amount of confidence. And with this new active and mobile defense...

3)... we still see the Bruins atop the league in defense and PK. Rask has been a rock. Johnson has been good when called upon. And the Bruins have not missed a beat even with a drastically different looking team.

Randoms: MAN, would I love to see some finish from our forwards. Iginla has had so many golden chances and thrown a TON at the net, only to not have much to show for it. Lucic is capitalizing and looks like a better player than we've ever seen. Brad Marchand has needed some time, but has looked much closer to his actual self in the last half dozen games. And I genuinely LOVE the third line of Smith/Kelly/Soderberg. Not a thing I'd change about it.

I came in here to post exactly the above, word for word.

geriszu

Apr 12, 2009
Bp
1. Perhaps the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's team is the third line, and the improvement bodes well for this team going forward. Last year, not only wasn't the third line not productive, but it was often unable to sustain any offensive zone time or create quality scoring chances. Too often last year, the third line would kill momentum for this team. This year, the third line has not only been productive, but they have shown the ability to keep offensive momentum going for the team, or change offensive momentum if need be. A prime example of that would be the shift they had towards the end of the 2nd period against Carolina. The Bruins were back on their heels, and the third line had a dominating shift that reestablished momentum for the Bruins. When the Bruins won the Cup in '11, their depth just overwhelmed teams. With this third line, I think the Bruins will be able to do that again this year. How do you match up with this team depth-wise in the playoffs?

This! :handclap:

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
Let's temper our enthusiasm for Krug. Due to the fact that Clode will inevitably look to tame his offensive tendencies, Krug, by the end of the season, will be virtually indistinguishable from Greg Zanon. :sarcasm:

Or we could get nutty!

etuL00H.gif

Scar 11

Go Bruins Go
Mar 12, 2013
Ontario Canada
We have lost 6 games hit the panic button fire the coach and the Gm heck even the guy that sells beer close to the bench. We need to do a total rebuild. This team is going no place.

I am actually quite happy with how things are going. The biggest key to this year is the drag race after the Olympics. What team will get hot after and ride the wave to the playoffs.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
This team spoils us!! They are pleasant to watch. 82 games is a marathon and they are going about it the right way.

I get the impression that this team is waiting for the playoffs to kick it into 5th gear....they almost looked bored out there in the regular season....

You have that right. It makes me wince at the lean years. Possibly, when this team is lousy again, I'll be wearied with age and I won't care about hockey so much.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
The Bruins jumped into first place in the East with the win over the Rangers.

Tampa Bay could take it back but they are losing 5-1 in LA tonight.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
The Bruins jumped into first place in the East with the win over the Rangers.

Tampa Bay could take it back but they are losing 5-1 in LA tonight.

1st place in the east!!!!

(which would be good enough for 9th place in the West)

eye popping really

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You can never be confident about a team winning a cup in November.

Yeah the team wins a lot of games because of good goaltending. Big Surprise they have arguably the best goaltender in the league right now. As good as Rask has been, it doesn't feel like he is standing on his head. Rather it feels like he has been steady and solid, and playing within himself.

Honestly I look at the Bruins as a team who have played pretty good hockey so far, but who also pretty clearly have not hit on all cylinders and gone on a hot streak yet.

Calling BS, both on a team and individual basis. EVERYTHING can be told in it`s entirety based on November stats.:sarcasm:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'd be terrified if I were another team in the East that the Bruins are at the top right now with so many important guys underperforming.

Rask cannot keep this pace up all year, but even if he drops off a little it should more than be made up for by an offensive uptick.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
1st place in the east!!!!

(which would be good enough for 9th place in the West)

eye popping really

3 points out of first with a game in hand on Hawks and two in hand on Ducks who are tied for first.

Not that eye popping when the standings in the west from 1st to 9th changes nightly. Minnesota is in 8th as of now. A win tonight and they could be tied for first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad