After 14 playoff games, MTL has a net PK% of 102.4%

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
They aren't mutually exclusive.

In fact, they go hand in hand in this case. MTL being smart with positioning etc, opponents being lazy on the PP.

Try not to strawman a post, and then your own posts will begin to look smarter.

Strawman your post? You're the one that didn't bring up Montreal defensive play. Your response to a statistic as uncommon as they come was an incredibly generic explanation that :

1 - Appeared to fault pro hockey players as a whole on their learnings of a very common situation (PP)
2 - Had absolutely no sound basis and read like a basement analysis thought up on a lay-z-boy
3 - Failed to give any credit to the actual team

There have been smart PKers all over the NHL since the league's beginnings. Vegas are certainly not lazier than any other team on the PP. So the only factor left causing this particular stat is Montreal's streak of killing penalties again and again and again, which is oddly the one thing you didn't care to mention in your initial post. I did not make that up.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
They aren't mutually exclusive.

In fact, they go hand in hand in this case. MTL being smart with positioning etc, opponents being lazy on the PP.

Try not to strawman a post, and then your own posts will begin to look smarter.

Try not to use a noun as a verb when belittling the intelligence of others.

Reactions: Memento

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And opponents being lazy having the man advantage.

You can't explain a massively unusual outcome in a situation, such as a team outscoring opponents while shorthanded, by an unchanging feature that always applies in that situation.

That sounds awkward but I'm trying to explain why your comment seems out of place, and the jokes aren't working.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Try not to use a noun as a verb when belittling the intelligence of others.

I only googled it, I'm not going to chair a linguistics dept or anything, but apparently it's called "verbing". People pepper their speech with nouns turned verbs all the time. And there's nothing wrong with it.

I just wanted to voice that there's no need to strike at people for their word choices, whether they're trying to belittle or fool someone or not.

-------------------------------------

I used at least 6 verbs here that began as nouns. Who can spot them?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
What's interesting about this run is that our penalty kill was quite poor the last several seasons. It was the major point of critisism against the coaching staff, because the personel is there. Price, Weber, Edmundson and Chiarot on defence and a collection of excellent defensive forwards.

Seems like one of the things that finally clicked for us at the perfect time.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I only googled it, I'm not going to chair a linguistics dept or anything, but apparently it's called "verbing". People pepper their speech with nouns turned verbs all the time. And there's nothing wrong with it.

I just wanted to voice that there's no need to strike at people for their word choices, whether they're trying to belittle or fool someone or not.

-------------------------------------

I used at least 6 verbs here that began as nouns. Who can spot them?

Oh verbing is a thing, definitely. It has its backers and its critics. But there are cases where it simply shows that the user does not know how to properly use that word.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh verbing is a thing, definitely. It has its backers and its critics. But there are cases where it simply shows that the user does not know how to properly use that word.

I didn't think this was one of those cases. You apparently can "strawman" something, and it sounds fine to my ear.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Fwiw I understood what he meant and also googled verbing because I was curious. Gonna be a long day to puck drop haha!

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
2) Small sample size of course
At this point the playoffs are already 25-30% of the length of the regular season and by the cup some teams may reach 50%

Considering Montreal was top of the league months into the season, even if they get knocked out this round as long as the finish strong, their cold streak mid-season will be around the same length as their hot streak to start and finish.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Armia is a major contributor to the Habs PK and all of its (positive) quirks. Quite a rare player, hugely underrated.

Jets fans were right about him being a "one man Armia" at times. Every once in a while he does something ridiculous, at random, all by himself. Usually on a dead play to boot.

Reactions: kanadalainen

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
At this point the playoffs are already 25-30% of the length of the regular season and by the cup some teams may reach 50%

Considering Montreal was top of the league months into the season, even if they get knocked out this round as long as the finish strong, their cold streak mid-season will be around the same length as their hot streak to start and finish.

Oh definitely, that’s kinda my point #3- it’s a bit of a freak thing currently just with the ridiculousness of the numbers, but their PK is legit good and I wonder if teams might put extra emphasis on that in the future.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
What's interesting about this run is that our penalty kill was quite poor the last several seasons. It was the major point of critisism against the coaching staff, because the personel is there. Price, Weber, Edmundson and Chiarot on defence and a collection of excellent defensive forwards.

Seems like one of the things that finally clicked for us at the perfect time.

I see it as Ducharme had finally gotten his team to play like he wanted them to play. We're better on PK then when Juilen was there. And especially our game start. They seemed always unprepared with Julien, always had bad starts at the beginning of a period. While under Ducharme the come out like bats out of Hell(except last game but Ducharme was not there).

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leaf games shouldn't count to the streak. Our PP sucked all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->