Affiliations

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Which team's have an expiring affiliation agreement besides the Adirondack Phantoms and Hershey Bears?

I am wondering because the Caps and Bears have an ongoing discussion regarding an extension with their agreement, but everyone knows the Bears have had a significant drop off since. 3 straight first round losses, barely any prospects, and a plethora of veterans for the past 3 seasons.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Which team's have an expiring affiliation agreement besides the Adirondack Phantoms and Hershey Bears?

I am wondering because the Caps and Bears have an ongoing discussion regarding an extension with their agreement, but everyone knows the Bears have had a significant drop off since. 3 straight first round losses, barely any prospects, and a plethora of veterans for the past 3 seasons.

Hershey's not losing the Caps affiliation and Adirondack's not losing theirs due to the transfer to Lehigh Valley, hb.

most contracts are set through 2018 or later now and can/will be renewed at any time.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
See this thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1005221

Charlotte Checkers - Carolina Hurricanes - expiration of agreement UNKNOWN
Hershey Bears - Washington Capitals - through 2014
Milwaukee Admirals - Nashville Predators - through 2014 with mutual option through 2015
Norfolk Admirals - Anaheim Ducks - through 2014 at least
San Antonio Rampage - Florida Panthers - through 2014 at least

So, Hershey is the only one KNOWN to be expiring @ the end of the season. Four others are not known (as of December) or have options attached.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78

People didn't mind the "plethora of veterans" when they were leading us to 3 Calder Cups in 5 years. :D

As to the prospects, let's not forget we lost two early to season-ending injuries (Garrett Mitchell, 21 & Tomas Kundratek, 22), and you KNOW this team would've been better with those two on board. As to the younger players, Connor Carrick (19), Philip Grubauer (21), Nate Schmidt, Mike Latta & Patrick Wey (22) all spent significant time in Washington, and the Caps dealt a non-playing 27-year old (John Mitchell) for a solid 22-year old prospect in Chris Brown. In the older vein, we had Casey Wellman (25) acquit himself well up there, and Deschamps, Stoa, & Brouillette all got small call-ups. Add in Schilling, LeBlanc & Galiev, and you’ve got better than half the roster at 25 or under.

Be careful what you wish for – a lot of affiliations don’t have NEARLY the freedom Hershey has in relation to vets & non-vets and who plays where and how much. Look at the Phantoms (5 straight years out of the playoffs) or the Devils (one playoff round in the past 7 seasons), just for starters. Things ain’t great by any means, but they could be a helluva lot worse.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
People didn't mind the "plethora of veterans" when they were leading us to 3 Calder Cups in 5 years. :D

As to the prospects, let's not forget we lost two early to season-ending injuries (Garrett Mitchell, 21 & Tomas Kundratek, 22), and you KNOW this team would've been better with those two on board. As to the younger players, Connor Carrick (19), Philip Grubauer (21), Nate Schmidt, Mike Latta & Patrick Wey (22) all spent significant time in Washington, and the Caps dealt a non-playing 27-year old (John Mitchell) for a solid 22-year old prospect in Chris Brown. In the older vein, we had Casey Wellman (25) acquit himself well up there, and Deschamps, Stoa, & Brouillette all got small call-ups. Add in Schilling, LeBlanc & Galiev, and you’ve got better than half the roster at 25 or under.

Be careful what you wish for – a lot of affiliations don’t have NEARLY the freedom Hershey has in relation to vets & non-vets and who plays where and how much. Look at the Phantoms (5 straight years out of the playoffs) or the Devils (one playoff round in the past 7 seasons), just for starters. Things ain’t great by any means, but they could be a helluva lot worse.

It's not that I want them to part ways, I just wanted to see what else is out there incase Hershey does decide to move on. I really can't see them moving on to one of the other teams listed. Hershey has all the leverage on the negotiations. I hope to see more than a one year extension for the affiliation like we have in the past.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
Any idea what the team in Allentown will do to the Hershey attendance numbers? They don't seem like a long drive, plus Philly fans..... there are some in Glens Falls just about every weekend and that's a much longer drive.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Any idea what the team in Allentown will do to the Hershey attendance numbers? They don't seem like a long drive, plus Philly fans..... there are some in Glens Falls just about every weekend and that's a much longer drive.

I don't think it will do too much. Philly is only about a half hour longer away from Hershey and the Phantoms being in Philly didn't affect the attendance numbers. I may be wrong, but it seems most Bears fans are from the surrounding area or more south.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78

Don't think it'll impact us much. I can't see a Bears fan rooting for any Phantoms team given the history between the two. I just wonder how tough it'll be to get tickets for games in Allentown. From the story I read, they're doing extremely well on season ticket sales.

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
We were discussing that pre-game on Sunday, the experts at the bar all seemed to think that LV would hurt Hershey, but no one really knew.

We were surprised that Phantoms traded probably their #1 player (Kris Newbury) to Hershey. You guys hear anything about that, as to why?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
We were discussing that pre-game on Sunday, the experts at the bar all seemed to think that LV would hurt Hershey, but no one really knew.

We were surprised that Phantoms traded probably their #1 player (Kris Newbury) to Hershey. You guys hear anything about that, as to why?

I doubt that it would truly hurt Hershey. I think the fans from LV more than likely are Flyers/Phantoms fans and not Hershey. Maybe they made the trek to Giant Center to see a hockey game now and then but my guess is they would go to a Flyers game before a Bears game. Like I said before, it seems most Bears fans are from the surrounding area or the southern part of the state.

Not sure about Newbury. Maybe he was sick of losing and wanted out? Maybe the Phantoms were doing him a favor to try to get him into the playoffs. I wondered that myself.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Newbury has worn out his welcome, everywhere he's been, RFA, to say he was dealt is inaccurate, didn't ADK get a player in return in Derek Whitmore? the reason Philly got rid of him is a conflict w/ coach Murray which will reflect on those true Flyer prospect, whether it be ADK or LV.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Newbury has worn out his welcome, everywhere he's been, RFA, to say he was dealt is inaccurate, didn't ADK get a player in return in Derek Whitmore? the reason Philly got rid of him is a conflict w/ coach Murray which will reflect on those true Flyer prospect, whether it be ADK or LV.

I'm a little lost here.....not sure what I'm reading......I think I know......I know I want to know.....but I'm just not sure what I'm reading.....I thought that when a player is moved to another team and the team moving him receives a player in return from that team....that such actions constitute a "TRADE". Now having said that, I also thought that a slang term in conversation between people for the word trade is to say that so and so was dealt to such and such team? Or he was dealt for so and so.

Could someone with much more knowledge than I please straighten out this hole in my vocabulary?

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
I'm a little lost here.....not sure what I'm reading......I think I know......I know I want to know.....but I'm just not sure what I'm reading.....I thought that when a player is moved to another team and the team moving him receives a player in return from that team....that such actions constitute a "TRADE". Now having said that, I also thought that a slang term in conversation between people for the word trade is to say that so and so was dealt to such and such team? Or he was dealt for so and so.

Could someone with much more knowledge than I please straighten out this hole in my vocabulary?

Not to cause trouble, but as Newbury is NHL property & Whitmore is on an AHL contract, I believe the term "mutual loan" is used. Pure semantics, but a lot of people on this board are obsessed with that very thing, so ............ :D

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
See this thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1005221

Charlotte Checkers - Carolina Hurricanes - expiration of agreement UNKNOWN
Hershey Bears - Washington Capitals - through 2014
Milwaukee Admirals - Nashville Predators - through 2014 with mutual option through 2015
Norfolk Admirals - Anaheim Ducks - through 2014 at least
San Antonio Rampage - Florida Panthers - through 2014 at least

So, Hershey is the only one KNOWN to be expiring @ the end of the season. Four others are not known (as of December) or have options attached.

Milwaukee and Nashville sign 2 year agreements. While that doesn't sound rock solid, they have been together since 1998! I have no reason to expect any change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad