Affiliates VIII: Cleveland Monsters and more (All Affiliate Talk Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
What is disappointing is that Tarasov should be here getting games and working on getting better. He could have had 3 of the last 4 in goal the way the schedule fell. Instead he is getting practices.

Actually, in the 2 games Kapelmaster played, he looked better than Tarasov.
There are things that don’t make sense to me in our player development. But maybe I just don’t understand the master plan.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Tyler Angle scored his 11th on the power play.

Justin Kapelmaster earned another start in goal after Sundays win. We have no goalies.
You’ve obviously watched him and I haven’t.....Is Angle a viable prospect or more of a career AHLer?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
You’ve obviously watched him and I haven’t.....Is Angle a viable prospect or more of a career AHLer?
It's hard to say. He wasn't supposed to be here, but because of covid he is. I have to say he does not, at all, look overwhelmed. I am thinking he at least played his way here for next year. I would like to see him play more teams, so there isn't that comfort factor of really knowing your opponents well because of how many times you play them. I would like him to face more adversity. He has only played 19 games, so in a normal year he would have 57 more games to play. More than enough time for teams to figure him out, or him possibly hitting a wall because of the amount of games. How he handles fatigue, things like that, we just won't see this year. But right now, he is playing exactly how you would like a prospect to play. Come in and play well, and not look out of place, or like he is over his head. Angle and Foudy looked real good together, like they have been linemates for a bit. It would be nice if he turns out to be one of those guys that was overlooked and can become a solid player despite his draft position.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
You know I was listening to one of Torts' radio segments with Bobby Mac and he mentioned something regarding AHL performance this year I hadn't really given any thought to and it is something to keep in mind. He said...

1. He hates the whole taxi squad idea instituted this year because he would prefer those taxi kids playing in Cleveland
  2. More importantly he insinuated it is more difficult to assess AHL play this year because many of the players who would be in the AHL are on the taxi squad meaning AHL rosters are populated with more 'below AHL level' players.
I hadn't given #2 any consideration before he said it but he's right. I am not dissing on what Angle, Christiansen, Meyer, Tarasov and the rest of the Monsters have accomplished (including what Foudy did in his short stint there) but it has to skew their performance to some extent. That's 4-6 AHLers for each team that have had to be replaced by <AHLers including a goalie for each team (that's reducing the starting roster by ~20% AHL level talent).

Its not just the CBJ going through this, I am sure fans of every team are bemoaning players on the Taxi Squad who they'd prefer to see down in the AHL getting playing minutes rather than sitting in the press box of an NHL arena watching games.

Look at the AHL vets on the team: Sikura, Schemitsch, Simpson, Scott etc...many are having career offensive years and in many cases its not even close. I doubt the light just switched on for all of them.

IOW, while its nice to see our prospects thriving in the AHL, I think we will learn a lot more about whether those kids are legit prospects next season when they get to compete against a full roster of AHL level players.

Last edited:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
You know I was listening to one of Torts' radio segments with Bobby Mac and he mentioned something regarding AHL performance this year I hadn't really given any thought to and it is something to keep in mind. He said...

1. He hates the whole taxi squad idea instituted this year because he would prefer those taxi kids playing in Cleveland
  2. More importantly he insinuated it is more difficult to assess AHL play this year because many of the players who would be in the AHL are on the taxi squad meaning AHL rosters are populated with more 'below AHL level' players.
I hadn't given #2 any consideration before he said it but he's right. I am not dissing on what Angle, Christiansen, Meyer, Tarasov and the rest of the Monsters have accomplished (including what Foudy did in his short stint there) but it has to skew their performance to some extent. That's 4-6 AHLers for each team that have had to be replaced by <AHLers including a goalie for each team (that's reducing the starting roster by ~20% AHL level talent).

Its not just the CBJ going through this, I am sure fans of every team are bemoaning players on the Taxi Squad who they'd prefer to see down in the AHL getting playing minutes rather than sitting in the press box of an NHL arena watching games.

Look at the AHL vets on the team: Sikura, Schemitsch, Simpson, Scott etc...many are having career offensive years and in many cases its not even close. I doubt the light just switched on for all of them.

IOW, while its nice to see our prospects thriving in the AHL, I think we will learn a lot more about whether those kids are legit prospects next season when they get to compete against a full roster of AHL level players.
What he said is true. Angle was supposed to play in the OHL this year but they didn't play. Some teams are made up with prospects from other organizatons, or players from lower leagues, just to field a team. We have a couple guys on loan from other teams. This is why it is hard to gauge these guys. If we had our normal guys, Angle probably never plays here. Grand Rapids and Chicago are good AHL teams this year and Angle has looked good against both. But again, its hard to tell if he would do this well against better AHL talent. This could also be why some guys stay up, because it may be better to practice against NHL talent than play against lesser talent in the AHL. This has been a totally abnormal year.

Reactions: thebus88 and koteka

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

I'm glad you posted this, it hadn't occurred to me. I'll temper my already cautious optimism for Angle.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is a concern of mine. One way of controlling for it is just to compare AHL rookies. Angle and Foudy are in the top ten among AHL rookies in points per game.

That's a great sign. It doesn't mean they are two of the top ten prospects in the league, but they're doing very well this year and that's all we can ask for.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
For anyone that saw the Cleveland Monsters play a good amount, how did Ole Bjorgvik Holm look in his 15 or so games with the club this season?

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The Monsters' 2021-2022 team really could be MONSTERS this year.

After watching some of the prospect tournament and a good chunk of guys that have already played in Cleveland and probably will be there moving forward, I can say I am a huge fan with how they play the game. The organization sure doesn’t seem to be moving as far away from the “heavy” or two way game as some would like or believe.

Some very skilled players also, but, the mindset of being hard to play against seems to be instilled into many of the prospects and young players in the organization, which is good, IMO.

Reactions: tunnelvision

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
For anyone that saw the Cleveland Monsters play a good amount, how did Ole Bjorgvik Holm look in his 15 or so games with the club this season?

Very interesting player/prospect moving forward, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: EXTRAS

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

He seemed to be quite good in the prospect tournament. Good physical size/attributes, seems like a VERY good skater for his size, can skate and handle the puck well and (even though I’d like to re-watch the entire DET game and focus on his defensive work) seemed to be good defensively.

Could be what some thought Gabriel Carlsson was or could be.

Reactions: EXTRAS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->