Affect on Seattle team if an NBA team moves to the city? (suns think it is an option)

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
First off, Congrats. Few other areas deserved it more in the United States. Also, as a Wings fan, You'll enjoy Ken Holland. An honestly IDK about the Suns leaving for Seattle, Phoenix is growing not the other way around. Would be rough for any sports franchise to leave an area growing in population.

Maybe the Kings franchise if the Sacramento city doesn't/isn't accommodating. Idk, Crazy to think but expansion is the best bet imo with Seattle/Pittsburgh for the NBA. Both markets will literally just add and stream more revenue for the league.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
I don’t think an NBA team would effect the new Seattle NHL team. I see them drawing from different factions of the Seattle sports fanbase as a whole.

Kind of like how the Seahawks and Sounders fanbases are mainly different.

beenhereandthere

Jan 30, 2012
Evergray State
I think it would have a big time effect with the local media, in a negative way. Like just about every Metro Area except maybe Minnesota in America, the NBA always overrides the NHL when it comes to talk radio newspaper and TV Coverage. I don't want to see both start in the same season.
I don't think it would hurt ticket sales (since a lot of Canadians would buy tickets) and maybe barely hurt corporate sponsorship since there are so many corporations around Seattle though.

SundayNiteBlackout

Jan 20, 2019
Puyallup, WA
I'm sure I'm not alone with this sentiment, but the NBA is dead to me even if we get another Sonics team back, and that is coming from someone that was a HUGE sonics fan. The way that whole thing went down was so dirty and shady. I just can't back it anymore after getting my heart ripped out like that.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm sure I'm not alone with this sentiment, but the NBA is dead to me even if we get another Sonics team back, and that is coming from someone that was a HUGE sonics fan. The way that whole thing went down was so dirty and shady. I just can't back it anymore after getting my heart ripped out like that.
I get where you are coming from but thats how all NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB operate.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

The nba is still not interested in expansion at any price according to adam silver at the 55 min mark

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I think it would have a big time effect with the local media, in a negative way. Like just about every Metro Area except maybe Minnesota in America, the NBA always overrides the NHL when it comes to talk radio newspaper and TV Coverage. I don't want to see both start in the same season.
I don't think it would hurt ticket sales (since a lot of Canadians would buy tickets) and maybe barely hurt corporate sponsorship since there are so many corporations around Seattle though.

Talk radio is a lousy reason to worry about sports interest. Talk radio will be talk radio

I'd like a local interpretation of the following: I tend to think there's maybe a designated hour of Sounders talk a week on radio, and no more. Overestimating? Underestimating? I know the Timbers come from a fan base that has learned to be rather disgusted with talk radio... social media fills the bill because the internet has done so much more than broadcasting for the sport. I suspect the same is true in Seattle.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Talk radio is a lousy reason to worry about sports interest. Talk radio will be talk radio

I'd like a local interpretation of the following: I tend to think there's maybe a designated hour of Sounders talk a week on radio, and no more. Overestimating? Underestimating? I know the Timbers come from a fan base that has learned to be rather disgusted with talk radio... social media fills the bill because the internet has done so much more than broadcasting for the sport. I suspect the same is true in Seattle.
the nhl has a chance to be great in Seattle away .Any potential NBA expansion team would be awful record wise there is no way the expansion rules. Could be changed to make any expansion team competitive look at the bobcats records. List of Charlotte Hornets seasons - Wikipedia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad