NFL: AFC Playoff Picture

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think you're going to see much change outside of Pittsburgh bowing out in favor of one of Buffalo or Oakland. Ben being out for a few weeks is probably going to the death blow.

Outside of that; Miami is garbage, Houston is garbage, Kansas City is...ok but obviously they have injuries.

The sad thing is a under 500 AFC South champion would have a legitimate chance of winning a playoff game against any of the teams still fighting.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
The sad thing is a under 500 AFC South champion would have a legitimate chance of winning a playoff game against any of the teams still fighting.
Even though they just beat an undefeated team, I'm going to beet against Indy in any playoff game right now. Denver was just due to not get completely bailed out by their defense yet another week

I think the Oak/NYJ/Pit/Buf would smash them (*with a healthy roster), and I don't really see any other teams passing those guys up

Those are the 4 teams that are going to fight for the wild card, I think the Raiders and Steelers make it. NYJ have been pretty lucky, Buf/Pit has been fairly unlucky....but in the end the teams in black just have better rosters imo, as long as the Raiders secondary can get their **** together a little bit, and Big Ben is healthy in 3/4 weeks

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It would feel weird if the Steelers miss the playoffs and the Bills and Raiders make the playoffs :laugh:. That said I don't see the Steelers making it without Big Ben for the next couple of weeks; I know they played .500 ball when he was hurt but I feel the losses are coming. Bills play 5 out of the next 6 on the road.... though all but the Pats are winnable games they're the Bills and will end the season 8-8.

So I'm thinking the Raiders and Jets? I just don't know about the Jets either because Fitzpatrick plays like **** when cold weather comes into effect..... and no matter who the 5 seed is they'll likely knock out the Colts

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
The AFC South needs to have a 4 win team host a playoff game. I wanna see the ESPN meltdown :laugh:

Stupid Denver probably ruined that today tho :laugh:

That and if the Jaguars had a half ass competent kicker, we'd have probably 2-3 more wins :cry:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It's sad cause an amazing record team could be out of the playoffs infavor of a team thats like 3 and 13 to end the year.

Anyway Pittsburgh out, Buffalo in.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Pittsburgh hasn't looked good even with Ben. They were fortunate to win today.

I don't fully buy Oakland. They have a lot of weak wins. The jets game was impressive but newsflash...the jets really aren't as god as that 4-1 start looked.

The bills I don't know. This Tyrod Taylor guy really hasn't disappointed. The worst game he had was the giants game but neither offense looked good that day. I think when healthy the bills are recently better than 4-4 but they haven't been and they aren't fully. The bills and jets head to heads will mean a lot.

Its two teams for four slots. I can see every team finishing 9-7 and the Raiders own a tiebreaker on the Jets. The Steelers own one on the Raiders but if its 3+ those head to heads mean nothing.

At the end of the day....I'm gunna go Buffalo and Pittsburgh. The Bills still play at Philly, at NE and home to Dallas with Romo back though. The rest of their games are winnable. If they can beat Dallas or Philly they should be okay.

Jets December is a nightmare. They play the Giants, go to Dallas, play NE and Tennessee. There's also the 2 Buffalo games. If they tie Buffalo in record I don't know what happens because they both will likely have 4-2 division records.

Pittsburgh has a tough December. They host Indy, go to Cincy, host Denver and go to Baltimore. Not to mention they end this month at Seattle. I see nothing better than 7 losses.

Oakland still goes to Denver. Likely a loss. They still play Green Bay. They have to go to KC late in the season. Tennessee and Detroit stink but both games being on the East coast could be trouble. Also I think Tennessee is better than their record with Mariota

Having said all this, this will be a very wild race. I'll go Buffalo and Cleveland. At the end of the day I can't trust Ryan Fitzpatrick. If the Bills win Thursday they should sweep the season series. The only problem that scares Mr with Buffalo is that 5 of their next 6 Re on the road HOWEVER all but two of the upcoming opponents in the next 7 games have a .500 or worse record. The only teams down the stretch with a winning record they face are at NE and the Jets twice. But I look at those two teams very differently. NE is very good. Jets are a play from being a .500 team themselves. Now when Buffalo faces them they should be 7-5(giving them a loss at NE) however part of that record is how bad the East is. I've seen them enough to not be impressed. They barely beat Matt Cassel. I think that D can make Bradford suffer. People look at this defense too negatively. Brady chewed them up, okay who hasn't he? Dalton had a great day...again most of his season has been the same. Eli wasn't amazing but he got the ball out quick. Jags game was very misleading. Jags defense got 14 points. Most of the game Jacksonville couldn't move the ball. Then came that last drive and one of the worst PI calls I've ever seen on a 3rd and 19. Today the D was pretty good. When they win they give up 20 or less. When they lose they give up 30+. You just don't know which team will show up. Although the Giants game I think they only gave up 24.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yeah, I'd say second wildcard is going to be 9-7 or worse.

And 9-7/8-8 is what I'm thinking for Indy.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Steelers first 4 games after their bye week are really tough: @ Seahawks, vs. Colts, @ Bengals, vs. Broncos. There are some awesome pass defenses in there. Luckily Ben is only projected to miss one of those games if the "few weeks" prognosis holds.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I just wanna know how big Ben constantly gets so lucky on the injury front and never suffers a season ending injury when some of them have looked ugly in the moment. Ford being fat somehow help him? I mean usually when a guy is carted off you know that's his season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I just wanna know how big Ben constantly gets so lucky on the injury front and never suffers a season ending injury when some of them have looked ugly in the moment. Ford being fat somehow help him? I mean usually when a guy is carted off you know that's his season.

Luck typically isn't associated with suffering a big injury every few weeks.

Thankfully he's a freak of nature and comes back from them all, but his injury list is approaching novel status. "At least" the Steelers are off after this week with Cleveland, but as others have said it's a brutal schedule down the stretch.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
So are we collectively deciding things are just way too much of a cluster**** to talk about at the moment?

The Pats, Bengals, Broncos, Steelers, Bills, Jets, Colts, an Texans all still completely control their own destiny at this point.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
really disappointed in the AFC South the last couple weeks. Getting too many wins outside the division. Not gonna see a 6-10 division winner like that.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Heading into week 11: (all current playoff teams control their own destiny (duh), non-playoff teams with an * also control their own destiny.
1. NE 9-0
2. CIN 8-1
3. DEN 7-2
4. IND 4-5 (wins H2H tiebreak with Houston)
5. PIT 6-4
6. BUF 5-4 (wins H2H tiebreak with Jets)
----------------------------
7. NYJ* 5-4
8. KC 4-5 (wins conf. record vs OAK, then wins conf. record 3 way tiebreak vs HOU and MIA)
9. OAK 4-5 (wins conf. record tiebreak vs HOU and MIA)
10. MIA 4-5 (wins H2H tiebreak vs HOU)
11. HOU* 4-5
12. JAX 3-6
13. BAL 2-7 (wins conf. record 3-way tie break with TEN and SD)
14. SD 2-7 (wins conf record tiebreak with TEN)
15. TEN 2-7
16. CLE 2-8

CLINCHING SCENARIOS:
None

ELIMINATION SCENARIOS:
None

TEAMS THAT CAN GAIN CONTROL OF OWN DESTINY IN WEEK 11:
- JAX - with win and IND and
HOU losses
- KC - with win and NYJ loss
- OAK - with win + BUF loss and NYJ loss

TEAMS THAT CAN LOSE CONTROL OF OWN DESTINY IN WEEK 11:
- HOU - with loss and IND win
- BUF - with loss and OAK win (note, the Bills still guarantee a deep tiebreaker with PIT for the 6 seed. Strength of victory probably wins it for PIT though)
- NYJ - with a loss + a KC OR OAK win (see BUF scenario above re: PIT)

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I normally don't post in these threads, but one thing I noticed is that if the Jaguars had even a league average kicker, they'd be in first place in the AFC South (no, Josh Scobee, you don't count... you sucked, too). Sure, they got a gift from the refs against the Ravens (I did notice that when it happened), but still... Myers had TWO chances to beat the Colts (granted, they were longish kicks) in a dome, but nope. If they beat the Colts...

JAX 5-5 (with road win over IND)
HOU 4-5 (with road win over JAX)
IND 3-6 (with road wins over HOU and TEN)
TEN 2-8 (no division wins)

That would have swung things in a totally different direction. Entering this week, the Jags had the second easiest remaining SOS if I remember correctly, so they would have been in the driver's seat for a playoff berth.

The networks are praying like hell that the Colts somehow win that division with old man Hasselbeck under center. Imagine the Jaguars in the playoffs? Ratings would take a nosedive! If they do make it, it'll probably be at 8-8 at best. That division blows big time, although we knew that entering the year. Pittsburgh is a lock to play the AFC South winner on the road in my mind, whether it's Indy, Jacksonville or even Houston.

On another note, imagine the Chiefs making the playoffs after losing Jamaal Charles? That would be crazy. They're another team that is saying "what if", especially considering they lost that Denver game on the scoop and score late when they should have taken a knee to force overtime (and I hate conservative coaching). Oh yeah, they lost to the Bears at home!

Another team saying "what if"? The Steelers. Again, a kicker problem (and somewhat a coaching problem). They should have beaten the Ravens, but nope, Scobee sucks, Todd Haley called some **** plays, they didn't use the best all-around RB in the league on 3rd and short/4th and short four times if my memory is right, and Tomlin was afraid to kick the field goal twice. They'd be a game back (really 1.5 back since they lost to Cincy) at 7-3, and fighting for a first round bye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad