GDT: AFC divisional round: Bills vs. Ravens (1.16.21, 8:15PM)

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Not sure if I'd say never, but it’s doubtful under their current system. They need to get him more weapons on the outside. Hollywood is a nice piece, but not a true #1 at all. They don't have the WRs to make teams pay for loading up against the run and clogging the middle to stop Andrews.

I do wonder how he adjusts when he eventually loses a step or two in terms of his speed, acceleration, and agility.

I think the reason I wouldn’t want him as a QB and don’t think it can win it all is because of his processing speed. He just misses things and NFL QB shouldn’t. Running will only get you so far and eventually that vaunted defense is going to lose a step.

god I’m happy we have Josh Allen. The wind definitely affected him tonight but he had ice water in his veins. No panic tonight. Great to see.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Oh and I don't care about any possible reasoning/excuses that the Bills staff/coaches may have about Williams....there is absolutely ZERO reason not to dress Williams next game. Yet again the Bills running backs were disappointing and unproductive. And like I expected, when it came down to a pivotal 2nd-3rd and 1/2, the Bills RBs/Yeldon totally failed at converting. Luckily we were bailed out by that penalty and that they had a 3rd string QB attempting to mount the comeback. But against a team like KC/GB and a Mahomes or Rodgers?! You simply cannot have a running attack do that and expect to beat the true cream of the crop of the NFL which we now are definitely playing the next 2 games.

You do not have a chance at beating KC at Arrowhead if you just literally pass every single time the first 15-20 plays. The Bills had a terrible 32 yards rushing against Baltimore. Before tonight only 3 other teams ran for that little and still won. (Technically 2 teams but 99 rams x2 and 14 Patriots). It is Williams time. We got lucky to get past the Ravens with by far the most one dimensional offense I have seen in a very long time.

Absolutely ZERO excuse to not start Williams. We chose TJ Yeldon to dress instead. A back with 6 career rushing TDs in 60 games and 30 starts. With 492 career rushing attempts. Williams has 12 career attempts and has 1/3rd the amount of career rush TDs then TJ Yeldon. Motor is also pitiful when it comes to finding pay dirt via rushing. Williams matched Motors season rush td total each of the past 2 seasons in 12 carries/28 snaps/1 half of football :laugh::laugh: Motor+Yeldon have 10 career rushing tds COMBINED on 799 career carries. Williams has 1/5th that amount of rush TDs even though Motor and Yeldon have over 66 times the rush attempts.

Singletary was excellent on the lone TD drive.

Reactions: truthbluth

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Jackson will never win a super bowl. At least one team will be disciplined and can hold them down.

The bills had every reason to lose this game. Horrible winds, "poor" rushing defense, going against a dominant defense. Yet they didn't fold. They just crushed them.

Ehh... I think the score is very flattering. Everything went right for the Bills while every thing went wrong for them.

Had it been the other way round i would be ruing bad luck - notably the 2 doinks, the Dobbins drop/shanked punt leading up to Bills opening score & obviously the Jackson injury which killed the game.

Let that take nothing away from the defensive performance though. I said it earlier in the thread - Frazier/McD coached perfectly.

Reactions: Eichel9

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Ehh... I think the score is very flattering. Everything went right for the Bills while every thing went wrong for them.

Had it been the other way round i would be ruing bad luck - notably the 2 doinks, the Dobbins drop/shanked punt leading up to Bills opening score & obviously the Jackson injury which killed the game.

Let that take nothing away from the defensive performance though. I said it earlier in the thread - Frazier/McD coached perfectly.

But did everything really go all that well for us? Same 2 missed kicks, a dropped TD by Davis, a missed throw that would have been a 60 yard bomb to Diggs. That's football.

The fact Lamar went down and the offense actually looked better is very telling. I realize the defense was sitting back a little at that point, but Jackson was not impressive. He also showed zero heart trying to prevent Johnson from getting in the endzone on his INT. You're telling me the fastest guy on the field gets burned by Johnson? Johnson is fast, but Jackson had a 20 yard head start. You could just tell by the way he was running that he was half hearted trying to make the play. He sure wasn't running like D.K. Metcalf.

Oh well, luckily it is not our problem! Josh Allen is the man. His composure this year is impressive. He never got frazzled last night even though the wind was wrecking havoc on the ball.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

The Bills also had 2 missed FGs (wind---the longest FG anyone made all game was 34yds), a dropped TD pass, and a long TD pass miss (also probably because of the wind). If everything had went right for the Bills, this game could've been a blow out.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Allen has the arm strength to play in bad weather but sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. A cold and very night is going to kill a team that likes to throw the ball more than 10 yards.

it was a weird game for the offense. They came out balling in the second half, and then didn’t get the ball back until it had a 14 point lead on perhaps the least threatening offense when it comes to playing from behind.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
But did everything really go all that well for us? Same 2 missed kicks, a dropped TD by Davis, a missed throw that would have been a 60 yard bomb to Diggs. That's football.

The fact Lamar went down and the offense actually looked better is very telling. I realize the defense was sitting back a little at that point, but Jackson was not impressive. He also showed zero heart trying to prevent Johnson from getting in the endzone on his INT. You're telling me the fastest guy on the field gets burned by Johnson? Johnson is fast, but Jackson had a 20 yard head start. You could just tell by the way he was running that he was half hearted trying to make the play. He sure wasn't running like D.K. Metcalf.

Oh well, luckily it is not our problem! Josh Allen is the man. His composure this year is impressive. He never got frazzled last night even though the wind was wrecking havoc on the ball.

Our 2 missed FGs were well wide though & the second miss was meaningless. Tucker's misses were by a matter of inches.

The Davis/Diggs plays were speculative imo (as was the late overthrow from Huntley to Brown). That is football... But anyone on this forum would probably have been able to convert that Dobbins drop. To have that somehow happen followed by the shanked punt was a huge momentum switch.

I'll have to watch the play again but i do remember thinking Johnson was going to get caught by Jackson...before the shock of realising he was running free.

As said - i don't want to take away anything from the Ds performance in particular - but this game wasn't a walkover.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The drops and bad throws were primarily because of the wind. I can attest that even a short throw is incredibly hard to read in wind. The ball moves like a knuckle ball. Even on a low, short throw with a tight spiral. I don’t think the Ravens lost this game as much as the Bills won it. Leslie Frazier’s game plan was excellent.

Reactions: brian_griffin

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Jackson was hauling back hard, he didn't pull up until it was obvious he wasn't going to get him.

Don't question someone's heart man. Not cool at all.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
The Bills also had 2 missed FGs (wind---the longest FG anyone made all game was 34yds), a dropped TD pass, and a long TD pass miss (also probably because of the wind). If everything had went right for the Bills, this game could've been a blow out.

On the broadcast replay, it looked like the pass was accurate 2/3 of the way to Diggs, then in the last 12 yards or so in the air, it clearly changed directions as it seemed to hit a wind gust and get blown off the the right.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Our 2 missed FGs were well wide though & the second miss was meaningless. Tucker's misses were by a matter of inches.

The Davis/Diggs plays were speculative imo (as was the late overthrow from Huntley to Brown). That is football... But anyone on this forum would probably have been able to convert that Dobbins drop. To have that somehow happen followed by the shanked punt was a huge momentum switch.

I'll have to watch the play again but i do remember thinking Johnson was going to get caught by Jackson...before the shock of realising he was running free.

As said - i don't want to take away anything from the Ds performance in particular - but this game wasn't a walkover.

I don't think much of anyone believes it was a walkover. It's just the suggestion that you think so much went in the Bills favor, and that wasn't necessarily the case. Our 2 missed field goals, the dropped touchdown, the long pass to Diggs, our short punt at the end of the first half that helped lead to the only Baltimore points, 3 Baltimore fumbles that they recovered, etc... An awful lot actually did not work out for the Bills.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Jackson was hauling back hard, he didn't pull up until it was obvious he wasn't going to get him.

Don't question someone's heart man. Not cool at all.

Gunna have to agree to disagree. He had a 15 yard head start. There is no excuse. Look at the speed of justice hill hustling back and passing Jackson.

Heart matters and I don’t see heart with Jackson’s play. I saw a guy pouting because he made a mistake.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Buffalo got some bounces sure but so did the ravens. They were able to force the ravens to passing, which is how you beat them. I think in ‘perfect’ weather bills beat the ravens just because they neutralized Jackson. Missed kicks were a wash. Baltimore missed a sure td because the wind made their backup qb pass sail over him. In the end though, all that matters is the W. We made it out without any big injuries. After literal decades of bad breaks I’ll take a few good ones for once.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
On the broadcast replay, it looked like the pass was accurate 2/3 of the way to Diggs, then in the last 12 yards or so in the air, it clearly changed directions as it seemed to hit a wind gust and get blown off the the right.
Being there, that's exactly what I saw. The arc of the ball looked perfect, then it just... went somewhere else. Multiple passes like that.

Unless we play Cleveland, we're not seeing wind like that again.

Reactions: Onslow

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The drops and bad throws were primarily because of the wind. I can attest that even a short throw is incredibly hard to read in wind. The ball moves like a knuckle ball. Even on a low, short throw with a tight spiral. I don’t think the Ravens lost this game as much as the Bills won it. Leslie Frazier’s game plan was excellent.
agree. Even Some of Allen’s short throws wobbled like wounded ducks.

I don't think much of anyone believes it was a walkover. It's just the suggestion that you think so much went in the Bills favor, and that wasn't necessarily the case. Our 2 missed field goals, the dropped touchdown, the long pass to Diggs, our short punt at the end of the first half that helped lead to the only Baltimore points, 3 Baltimore fumbles that they recovered, etc... An awful lot actually did not work out for the Bills.
agree. Wasn’t a walkover, both teams had missed opportunities and a couple bad bounces. Bills did a great job of bend don’t break. Still gave up 150 rush yards and BAL outgained them by ~100 or so, offset in yards by the INT TD. I don’t think losing Jackson late hurt BAL in a non-recoverable way as they still moved the ball well enough.

I’m extremely happy the refs weren’t a factor either way. This game was won and lost by the people on the field with colors in their uniforms.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
Listening to the radio this morning, it was......Packers win in a laugher, Aaron Rodgers is the greatest QB ever, nobody is beating GB, so glad the NFC Championship game is going to Lambeau, Go Pack Go, oh.....and the Bills won too, but only because Tucker missed 2 FG's and the wind. :rolleyes::loony::blah:

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Textbook defence last night, total team effort. Give Hughes credit, if he hadn't pressured Jackson, Johnson wouldn't have had the chance for the 101 yd pick. This is a special Bills team led by McDermott's example. I don't care who they play next week, but wouldn't it be something to go to KC, and then take on GB for the Lombardi in this most unique season. Josh Alllen is mature beyond his years, it's his team. So impressed.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Listening to the radio this morning, it was......Packers win in a laugher, Aaron Rodgers is the greatest QB ever, nobody is beating GB, so glad the NFC Championship game is going to Lambeau, Go Pack Go, oh.....and the Bills won too, but only because Tucker missed 2 FG's and the wind. :rolleyes::loony::blah:
The irony of course is that the wind hurt Buffalo’s game plan much more than it hurt the Ravens’.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad