Advil - new NHL partner

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Is advil one of the various over the counter drugs players get hopped up on before games? IIRC, it's one of them.

I don't think so. It's an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug), main indications being for pain and reduction of swelling/inflammation at higher doses and (for 1-2 weeks min use to get the anti-inflammatory effect). Some anti-inflammation drugs have a more immediate effect.

(Also noting this is one brand name for the drug known as Ibuprofen generically.)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Is advil one of the various over the counter drugs players get hopped up on before games? IIRC, it's one of them.

No. Advil plain & Advil Cold & Flu are not on the IOC's list of Banned Substances (nor anyone elses)... you might be thinking of the Urban Legend that Coke & Apirin or ASA can cause a high.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
No. Advil plain & Advil Cold & Flu are not on the IOC's list of Banned Substances (nor anyone elses)... you might be thinking of the Urban Legend that Coke & Apirin or ASA can cause a high.

No, I was thinking of the sudafed issue. Don't mind me.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Is this somehow affect Iginla/Vicks(Nyquil) relation ?

I still see his add on the TV.

I shouldnt think so. Thats a separate endorsement deal. It might however affect creative in that Nyquil may not be able to feature Iginla in an NHL logo'd jersey which I dont believe they do anyway as their deals with the player & doesnt include the league in anyway. Existing TV commercials Ive seen featuring him dont do that (the TV spot where he's in a hotel room getting "a good nights sleep"). Also, Advil has the 2 main products, the Advil Plain which is essentially aspirin so a different category, but they also have Advil Cough & Cold which is a competitive product to Nyquil.

I doubt very much if Iginlas' deal with Nyquil will be affected (or if its even still current).... its an interesting suggestion/thought powerstruck. Analogy would be the "Ambush Marketing" waged by Nike against Adidas on various stages, most notably the Olympics. Adidas the "Official Sponsor" using the Olympic Rings & verbiage etc; Nike carefully crafting & avoiding anything that might invite litigation, buying up time on a wide range of media platforms & definitely eating into Adidas sizzle & steak in paying tens of millions for its official sponsorship status. Nothing stopping Nyquil from doing same I shouldnt think. Buy spots on TSN, CBC, NBC etc.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
OT, but not worth it's own thread:

I was interested last night in the Captain Morgan White Rum board. Looked like they were the only 1 that wasn't 1 of the traditional NHL partners. I wonder what the league charged just as a 'get in rate' just for last night? Will be interesting to see if they're more involved going forward of it was a 1 time thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad