Equipment: Advice with stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warax

Nov 24, 2015
Hi guys! I've just started hockey and i'm looking for advice on hockey stick. I know lots of people will tell me to go for composite stick, but i love the wood feel and weight in my hand.I've read lot of post on the forum, but most of them are pretty old... Any advice on good brand of wood hockey stick still on the market in 2015? I've had a look at the 5030 from sherwood but the stick is short for me ( i'm 6'3 without skate...) i live in Quebec Canada , been looking at my LHS but they dont carry anything other then 5030 from sherwood. I dont want to spend 100$ on a stick and i kind of love the underdog brand... Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
Can't change your mind if you're stuck on wood, but it's old technology that really doesn't have many benefits. One thing always said about wood stick is that they don't break as easily, but the wood blades goes soft pretty quick. Most likely will go through few of those $30-$40 sticks in a season. Bite the bullet, spend the $100 on old top of the line stick. Oh and 5030 most likely the only option these days at the LHS.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why don't you try a composite shaft with a wood blade? Seems like a nice compromise.

I think that's probably about the opposite of the comprise OP is looking for there.

I really don't have an answer, but i do have a couple old Sherwood Wood sticks that are my go-to "pond hockey" sticks. If i'm gonna goof around on a pond with some people who will hack and whack at sticks and it's minus a million outside and the other players are mostly just unskilled oafs who are gonna hack and whack at sticks indiscriminately, then that's what i go for.

But composite shafts with a wooden blade is probably not going to fix the "feel" issue for someone used to that. And it's not really going to change much of anything.

My advice would be to suck it up and get comfy with composite one-piece sticks. They're better, like it or not. And it's really not prohibitively expensive or anything anymore.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
MAYBE you can contact Sherwood and get a custom run (like a dozen or 2 dozen) longer wooden sticks? You may even be able to chose from among more curves.

HOWEVER, $100 gets you a top composite on clearance from a few years back and they usually last considerably longer than a wood stick.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Nothing wrong with wood sticks at all. I own a couple composites but always have a wood backup.

Sherwood 5030 is like what will be available to you and it's a good option. the 7000 or whatever is great too.

My personal favorite is the Montreal Stinger Nitro. Hard to find but I think it's pretty close to my Graf G70 in performance. Awesome flex, good weight, balanced and durable.

The thing with woodies is that they're all different unlike comps which are identical. You can take 10 different 5030s and they'll all be slightly different. Go to the LHS and find one you like.

Also, Muskoka woodies are amazing, very cheap and well made. Only place I've ever seen em is at my LHS. They had no righties for me though.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I think that's probably about the opposite of the comprise OP is looking for there.

I really don't have an answer, but i do have a couple old Sherwood Wood sticks that are my go-to "pond hockey" sticks. If i'm gonna goof around on a pond with some people who will hack and whack at sticks and it's minus a million outside and the other players are mostly just unskilled oafs who are gonna hack and whack at sticks indiscriminately, then that's what i go for.

But composite shafts with a wooden blade is probably not going to fix the "feel" issue for someone used to that. And it's not really going to change much of anything.

My advice would be to suck it up and get comfy with composite one-piece sticks. They're better, like it or not. And it's really not prohibitively expensive or anything anymore.

See, that's mostly marketing talking right there. Hockey companies love to sell people that 200$ stick that costs cents to make because the profit margin is there. Nothing wrong with liking composites more than woodies but just know it's down to personal preference.

Macinnis could shot 105 in 1993 with a woodie so velocity is not a problem. It comes down to feel.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
See, that's mostly marketing talking right there. Hockey companies love to sell people that 200$ stick that costs cents to make because the profit margin is there. Nothing wrong with liking composites more than woodies but just know it's down to personal preference.

Macinnis could shot 105 in 1993 with a woodie so velocity is not a problem. It comes down to feel.

I think what you're saying is different than what he meant. No one 'needs' a composite based on your logic, but there's no denying the fact that composites generally outperform and mostly outlast wood sticks. Whether or not a particular person should spend $$ to attempt to achieve this gain, of course, depends on them.

Also, your analogy regarding the cost of those sticks and so called 'profits' made off them are completely incorrect. You'd be surprised to know that there isn't a large margin on hockey gear at all. No one's making a lot of money selling high end sticks...

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I think what you're saying is different than what he meant. No one 'needs' a composite based on your logic, but there's no denying the fact that composites generally outperform and mostly outlast wood sticks. Whether or not a particular person should spend $$ to attempt to achieve this gain, of course, depends on them.

Also, your analogy regarding the cost of those sticks and so called 'profits' made off them are completely incorrect. You'd be surprised to know that there isn't a large margin on hockey gear at all. No one's making a lot of money selling high end sticks...

Carbon fiber and graphite costs 10$ a pound which is about the weight of a stick. I'm sure these companies get discounts as well. A bit of glue and that's it for material. They are made in china so minimal worker cost. Electrical costs are also minimal for the same reasons. Add shipping cost which shouldn't be a lot since they're so light. Of course you add in retailer's cut.

Just look at it this way. 300 dollar sticks go on sale for less than 100 sometimes. The retailer is clearly not going to take a loss on this unless it's been sitting there for many years. And of course their's the fact that they break often.

When is the last time you saw a woody on sale? Probably very rarely since the profit margin is very slim.

So which one is CCM or Bauer going to promote more. The one where they make about 40 bucks on or the one where they make 5 or 6.

As for performance, that's opinion. I'm no worst with my Stinger than my G75, T90 or Nexon except maybe clappers which I rarely do. Durability has to go to the wooden stick unless we're talking about Colt sticks. One little slash in that spot right above the blade of a composite and it's done. Woody's will have the blade disintegrate though.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Like i said originally...i have a bundle of Sherwood actual wood sticks that i use in certain situations. I have no issues with them, they're fine.

But the reality is, i'm a better player with composite sticks. And i don't buy "top of the line elite superstar" sticks. I buy reasonably priced composite sticks with curves i like. And they're just better. If you pay attention to sales (spring tends to lead to some big sales, and especially this time of year, get revved up for boxing day imo)...You can get a better composite stick for $60 than a "wood stick" these days...if you pay attention to bargains.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Like i said originally...i have a bundle of Sherwood actual wood sticks that i use in certain situations. I have no issues with them, they're fine.

But the reality is, i'm a better player with composite sticks. And i don't buy "top of the line elite superstar" sticks. I buy reasonably priced composite sticks with curves i like. And they're just better. If you pay attention to sales (spring tends to lead to some big sales, and especially this time of year, get revved up for boxing day imo)...You can get a better composite stick for $60 than a "wood stick" these days...if you pay attention to bargains.

Sure, nothing wrong with what you said. Most people do prefer comps but a nice wood stick can perform similarly to a composite.

I was just saying profit margins on comps are massive compared to wood.

If op wants a woody then there's nothing wrong with it. I doubt he plays very high level hockey so it may not be worth getting a comp.

I would always use wood sticks in practice because I wouldn't feel bad breaking it and the extra weight could develop some extra strength. Use a woody for a week and go back to a comp and everything will seem easier.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Carbon fiber and graphite costs 10$ a pound which is about the weight of a stick. I'm sure these companies get discounts as well. A bit of glue and that's it for material. They are made in china so minimal worker cost. Electrical costs are also minimal for the same reasons. Add shipping cost which shouldn't be a lot since they're so light. Of course you add in retailer's cut.

Just look at it this way. 300 dollar sticks go on sale for less than 100 sometimes. The retailer is clearly not going to take a loss on this unless it's been sitting there for many years. And of course their's the fact that they break often.

When is the last time you saw a woody on sale? Probably very rarely since the profit margin is very slim.

So which one is CCM or Bauer going to promote more. The one where they make about 40 bucks on or the one where they make 5 or 6.

As for performance, that's opinion. I'm no worst with my Stinger than my G75, T90 or Nexon except maybe clappers which I rarely do. Durability has to go to the wooden stick unless we're talking about Colt sticks. One little slash in that spot right above the blade of a composite and it's done. Woody's will have the blade disintegrate though.

OK look, I'm not going to get into it beyond this and there have been plenty of discussions already regarding wood, composite and the 'cost' of sticks.

There's way more to it than the cost of materials and labor. You have no idea the level of R&D, marketing, admin and honestly everything else that goes into making a product like this. Sticks, like other products that are 'seasonal' and subject to cycles, is simply inventory that must be cleared out, be it from manufacturers or retailers. What you don't see are the costs behind it.

This thread has run its course I think, no need for another thread discussing wood v composite. Do a search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad