Advice for d3 college hockey

Ducksgo*

I've been playing for about 2 years now and have made the 2nd highest level in beer league here in So Cal and was wondering what other members thought and experienced playing for their local college.

I'm a pretty good skater and use to play as a kid but had a 10 year break due to financial issues, right now I'm 25 good shape and have a dream to play for my local university Long Beach State, Cal State Fullerton etc basically d3 club sport, but with me just getting back into the game it seems like it's natural for me. Has anyone here dropped the sport and succeeded later on in life competitively? And if so? What's your words of wisdom? Thank you HF!

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
Go play pickup or a game against the local D3 players and see how you stack up. Players from our local ACHA DII team are on the ice all the time in either pickup or A/B league games. I expect there is a rink near you they skate at a lot.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Make sure your cardio is where it needs to be. If you try out and your cardio isn't there it's going to be a rough go for you.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Both LBS and Fullerton are ACHA Div 2.

Those players are going to have a decent amount of experience and probably have been skating for the last 15 years. Majority of them probably have seen times in AA/AAA/Jr.B/Jr.A clubs.

Go watch some of their games or practice. If you think you can skate at that level, go for it.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Theres really no comparison between beer league and D3 college hockey. The D3 kids are that much better.
Id suggest playing against a bunch of D3 players and see how you stack up.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
Theres really no comparison between beer league and D3 college hockey. The D3 kids are that much better.
Id suggest playing against a bunch of D3 players and see how you stack up.

This is club hockey, IE ACHA.

Just go tryout. You will probably make the team.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
This is club hockey, IE ACHA.

Just go tryout. You will probably make the team.

Some of the kids on our local ACHA D-II team are better than a lot of the D3 players I know.

OP, the skill level on ACHA Club teams varies a fair bit, but they're typically very good skaters, far better than the average beer leaguer, even the good ones. But the only way to know is to try out.

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I've played against a few D3 and D2 teams in exhibition. One thing I found is that the players tend to be stupid, you can head fake them easily. They are how ever in good shape and fast. So I would suggest you make sure you can keep up with the skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad