Advice for a woman beginning to play

AC1993

Feb 15, 2014
Michigan
Hi all, am new to the boards so sorry if this is a repeat question.

I am a 20 year old girl, long time hockey fan, trying to get into playing for the first time. I have looked through a lot of threads on here and think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to improve on… I learned to skate when I was really young and since starting out on the ice this season I've picked up on the basics pretty well. I can skate forwards, backwards, crossover, etc. and am going to continue practicing whenever I can. I know that my puck handling and shooting need a lot of work still, and I'm still putting together a set of gear but I'd like to start showing up to our local rink's drop in hockey to get a feel for the game.

I feel pretty intimidated because I know I will be playing against mostly or probably all guys. While I'm not in bad shape, I am kinda small (5'5" and 115 lbs) and just feel that I lack the size and speed to compete against the guys.

Does anyone have any advice as far as how to adapt on the physical side of things? I'm sure practice and experience will help the most I am just wondering how I can gain an edge when it comes to contact and getting to the puck and going against players one on one.

Thanks!!

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Do you know a lot of players in your area? If so, you might ask about which drop-in sessions are good for beginners. I know in my area there's a big difference between pickup at rink A v. pickup at rink B. If you don't have friends you can ask you might call the rink and ask them.

Another option is to do a hockey clinic. I've done a couple, and they always include some scrimmage time at the end, which could ease you into the game.

AC1993

Feb 15, 2014
Michigan
Do you know a lot of players in your area? If so, you might ask about which drop-in sessions are good for beginners. I know in my area there's a big difference between pickup at rink A v. pickup at rink B. If you don't have friends you can ask you might call the rink and ask them.

Another option is to do a hockey clinic. I've done a couple, and they always include some scrimmage time at the end, which could ease you into the game.

My friends that play are on beer league teams and I know there are different levels for that... drop in is just held on weekdays at noon a couple times a week and I assume it's pretty casual

I looked online for hockey clinics in the area and will definitely sign up when I get the chance

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
I've never had a problem playing against guys of the same skill level (players with a higher skill level are tough regardless of gender), and I face significantly higher physicality against other women than against men. In my co-ed E league I eventually had to tell the guys to stop treating me like a girl and play more physical.

At drop-in I've felt hindered by my admittedly low skill level, but never by my size or gender. Those causal drop-ins are great for learning and the guys have been really supportive of me when I ask advice.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I am a 20 year old girl, long time hockey fan, trying to get into playing for the first time. I have looked through a lot of threads on here and think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to improve on… I learned to skate when I was really young and since starting out on the ice this season I've picked up on the basics pretty well. I can skate forwards, backwards, crossover, etc. and am going to continue practicing whenever I can. I know that my puck handling and shooting need a lot of work still, and I'm still putting together a set of gear but I'd like to start showing up to our local rink's drop in hockey to get a feel for the game.

I feel pretty intimidated because I know I will be playing against mostly or probably all guys. While I'm not in bad shape, I am kinda small (5'5" and 115 lbs) and just feel that I lack the size and speed to compete against the guys.

Does anyone have any advice as far as how to adapt on the physical side of things? I'm sure practice and experience will help the most I am just wondering how I can gain an edge when it comes to contact and getting to the puck and going against players one on one.

Thanks!!
They will go easy on you, trust me.
Being small, the only way you can be competitive against guys is to be as fast or even faster than them. If they can't catch you, they won't do anything.

Sureshot

Thumbs up, soldier!
Apr 7, 2009
My friends that play are on beer league teams and I know there are different levels for that...
Definitely look at that route. I signed up for a low-level league for the first time this season, and it's been a blast. While I'm a guy, we do have 3 girls on our team and they have all had no problem competing.

If there's something similar in your area, go for it - don't feel intimidated! :)

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
have you checked into women's teams in your area? the biggest advantage women's teams have over beer league and drop in is that they are far more likely to have practices. for teams that are competing in USA Hockey Districts/Nationals you'd be coming up on the end of the season so you may have to wait until early Fall to REALLY get into it.

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
Playing against women is tough and not something I really enjoy. I am a pretty big dude, and if I treat a girl with the same kind of aggressive play as a guy, I often get whistled for it(when I never would otherwise), some guys want to start crap to "stick up for them", or you take a lot of crap from your own guys if you knock them down. If you lay off of them, they hurt you if they are skilled, and most women want to be played straight up and not given a free pass... that is why they put on the gear in the first place. Also, I find they get away with bloody murder out there. Those in our league will hook, trip, high stick... what it takes and never get called on it. So, it is quite difficult because of that dynamic.

Having said that, I love having them on my team:) If you have, pardon the expression, the will (mod edit) and jump in a physical sport with 30 other guys out there, you have more guts than I probably would have had at your age. I think you will find most guys will be really supportive of that as long as you are hustling, particularly in pickup's. Clinic is a great place to start too.

Last edited by a moderator:

scryan

May 1, 2013
Adult hockey is not checking, and there is plenty of terrible people (skill wise)
In other words, the best way to start is to put on pads and play hockey.

You WILL get bumped, but most guys you will probably have more of an issue with them playing down/being soft rather then too rough.

Physically you just need to be able to handle being jostled around a little bit... hard to get that down with out just doing it. Most guys get used to it as kids beating up on each other or throwing ourselves around, but if you haven't had much physically growing up I'd say there isn't going to be a ton to do now other then just jump in. If it may be an issue make sure you know how to fall without breaking a wrist or something, the real danger is probably getting hit with puck or falling incorrectly and both are mostly experience.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
The truth of the matter is that guys are specifically NOT going to hit you - that will probably sit worse with you a little later on when you've really got your bearings, but for now just consider it an opportunity to get some breathing room on the ice.

I would say that the best thing for you would be to go a stick-and-puck type of session, if those sorts of things are available in your area. No scrimmages, just people getting out on the ice and doing their own thing, or sometimes under the guidance of an in-house "coach" who will organize drills.

It's difficult to learn the fundamentals of stickwork and finesse by just getting thrown to the wolves because in hockey you're really only suppose to have the puck on your stick for a couple seconds before you pass it off to somebody else or make a play. You'll get a healthy appreciation for timing, certainly, but you'll really end up just dumping the puck this way or that way to prevent causing a turnover, and that is quite possibly the WORST habit you can possibly pick up.

As far as the physical aspect itself, all recreation leagues are no-checking. Of course, this means that while you won't just get totally laid out, people can still put their weight into you and ride you off of the puck. I will say this, being quick is a more valuable asset than being big, so if your skating develops enough that you can turn/stop/accelerate with speed, it will be the best tool you have to be able to shake people off of you.

Other than that, the most important quality to have as a hockey player is to learn to play with your head up and understanding where and when to dish the puck. In most cases, this will prevent you from even having to engage someone else physically. This can be hard if you have teammates who don't play their position (read: this will happen to you far more often than not), but if you learn to play the game with your head up you'll turn into a smarter hockey player.

Speaking realistically, if you're a small and lightweight person, you're probably not going to win a strong-arm battle against someone who's got six inches on you as you're both going into the boards for a puck, so don't look at that kind of scenario as the kind of thing you're trying to change.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

Thanks!!

Find a low level non hitting rec program first.It's the level you need to start at because of the speed/competition. You do not want to play contact with men. I am 5'6 and heavier than you(by a fair amount) but am still very small compared to men. For size reference,I can wear some youth XL gear and all adult small if I wish(but ultimately decided on medium shoulder pads because it came with long ab protector)I am also clumsy so played beginner rec for 10 years.Unfortunately I cannot play with children/blind people which are more my calibre :P

google "beginner shinny/hockey" for the area you want to play in, good chance there is something for casual players close to your level.

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
You'll get a healthy appreciation for timing, certainly, but you'll really end up just dumping the puck this way or that way to prevent causing a turnover, and that is quite possibly the WORST habit you can possibly pick up.

This is so true. I wish someone had told me to be a puck hog when I started. Far better to learn to move it and lose it, then to play to not make a mistake and build up that puck panic. Very hard habit to break.

AC1993

Feb 15, 2014
Michigan
I've never had a problem playing against guys of the same skill level (players with a higher skill level are tough regardless of gender), and I face significantly higher physicality against other women than against men. In my co-ed E league I eventually had to tell the guys to stop treating me like a girl and play more physical.

At drop-in I've felt hindered by my admittedly low skill level, but never by my size or gender. Those causal drop-ins are great for learning and the guys have been really supportive of me when I ask advice.

I definitely believe that because I played lacrosse in high school and know how competitive girls can be against each other!

I guess it's always tough being a beginner... haha

AC1993

Feb 15, 2014
Michigan
I do know that our adult league has men's and women's teams... I am hoping to play in the summer league (which I think is co-ed) but has a shorter season and then on an adult league team or with my school's intramural group this fall

AC1993

Feb 15, 2014
Michigan
Playing against women is tough and not something I really enjoy. I am a pretty big dude, and if I treat a girl with the same kind of aggressive play as a guy, I often get whistled for it(when I never would otherwise), some guys want to start crap to "stick up for them", or you take a lot of crap from your own guys if you knock them down. If you lay off of them, they hurt you if they are skilled, and most women want to be played straight up and not given a free pass... that is why they put on the gear in the first place. Also, I find they get away with bloody murder out there. Those in our league will hook, trip, high stick... what it takes and never get called on it. So, it is quite difficult because of that dynamic.

Having said that, I love having them on my team:) If you have, pardon the expression, the will(mod edit) to go out and jump in a physical sport with 30 other guys out there, you have more guts than I probably would have had at your age. I think you will find most guys will be really supportive of that as long as you are hustling, particularly in pickup's. Clinic is a great place to start too.

I think this is what I would expect most men to think about playing against us ladies haha. It's been a while since I played a coed sport and that was soccer so it's certainly a transition to make. And I take that as a great compliment :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AC1993

Feb 15, 2014
Michigan
I would say that the best thing for you would be to go a stick-and-puck type of session, if those sorts of things are available in your area. No scrimmages, just people getting out on the ice and doing their own thing, or sometimes under the guidance of an in-house "coach" who will organize drills.

That's something I've definitely neglected and will have to work on. Makes me wish I just had a pond in my backyard to practice on

Speaking realistically, if you're a small and lightweight person, you're probably not going to win a strong-arm battle against someone who's got six inches on you as you're both going into the boards for a puck, so don't look at that kind of scenario as the kind of thing you're trying to change.

Well, I guess my dreams of being an NHL d-man aren't coming true.... lol but seriously, thank you, very helpful advice!!

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
If you don't have speed and size, then use what you have: a brain. You need to practice as much as you can but until you are really outclassed you tend to give up goals because of mistakes (which may be preventable) as opposed to your lack of skill.

As already mentioned, learn to play with your head up. If you see them coming you can do something about it. It also makes passing easier.

Do not be afraid, contact is normal but adult leagues should be non-checking.

Lastly, no dude wants to run over a girl on the ice I imagine they'll probably leave you alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad