Advertising on the Dasher Boards

playertobenamedlater

Mar 8, 2006
During the Sabres Islanders game on Monday night that the Boards at the Nassau Coliseum where changed. Two companies that are local to Buffalo and not Long Island had ads on the boards.

Northtown Car Dealership - Only in Western New York
Tim Hortons - Larger, but do not have operations in the TriState area.

Is this something that is widely practiced or is this something new. It makes a ton of sense!

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Don't really know, but, the Tim Horton's advertisement could also have a lot to do with the games coverage in Canada. The Canadian viewership numbers are probably pretty substantial, and, it could be cheaper for them to advertise on teh boards there, than buying more air time with TSN.

Foredeck

Jan 20, 2006
It might be cheaper for Tim Horton to sponsor there and go for TV viewers.

For example, the World Jrs, 50% of the sponsors are Canadian (Tims, Esso, Canadian Tire, etc...)

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
on msg here in new york in each of the corners on the glass there were computer generated ads it caught my eye watching a replay of the game tonight

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
on msg here in new york in each of the corners on the glass there were computer generated ads it caught my eye watching a replay of the game tonight
Yeah, I was wondering if those were computer generated or whether the fans behind those ads were getting the shaft tonight.

Interesting...usually when you see the computer generated ads they are on those funky green backgrounds. Can anyone who was at the game tell me if there was anything different about the glass in the corner there? Was there a tint to it or has technology just advanced like that?

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL

I noticed those too. Guess they took the idea from baseball; clever marketing idea.

Not that I was much in the mood for buying anything watching the Rangers absolutely dismantle my beloved Thrashers. :cry:

MoMiester

Oct 26, 2006
in 2002, the majority of the ads in Carolina were for Canadian companies, If I recall correctly.

I think it was 2 or 3 ads in front of the benches were for Canadian Banks/others in the series with Montreal. I guess they resell ads or collect more money for playoff games. You often see new ads for playoffs.

No telling what those companies paid.

YellHockey*

This season there were many Montreal-based companies advertising on the boards at Scotiabank Place when the Habs were in town.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think it was 2 or 3 ads in front of the benches were for Canadian Banks/others in the series with Montreal. I guess they resell ads or collect more money for playoff games. You often see new ads for playoffs.

No telling what those companies paid.

I remember there were Desjardins board ads in Carolina for that series in 2002, and perhaps even the series last year. I think the grocery chain, Metro, took out some ads too.

I first noticed this trend in Major League Baseball. Wherever Matsui or Ichiro were playing, it seems like there was a Japanese ad in the outfield, or behind the plate somewhere.

letsgoflyers75

Aug 11, 2004
www.bluelinehockey.net
I remember there were Desjardins board ads in Carolina for that series in 2002, and perhaps even the series last year. I think the grocery chain, Metro, took out some ads too.

I first noticed this trend in Major League Baseball. Wherever Matsui or Ichiro were playing, it seems like there was a Japanese ad in the outfield, or behind the plate somewhere.
And now there are Japanese ads at Fenway (for Matsuzaka).

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Does anyone have any shots of this? I can't imagine what that looks like, though I'm guessing it might not be something that can be photographed so maybe this is just a stupid request. :D

You can see one of Tampa's electronic boards in this goofy picture. In person they're really not overly bright or distracting.
Game401.jpg

On the original topic, I can't say I noticed if there are any ads for Canadian companies in Tampa or NJ (the games are all on CBC/RDS) but I'll make a point to check for them.

dkdex

Apr 2, 2007
mo,via waukegan ill,
i never pay them no mind im concentrating on the game,they are offensive to me i remember the old days with none,next thing will be clear board:cry:s with revolving ads,god i hope not!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->