Advanced stickhandling trick need help

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm a pretty good stickhandler but one thing I started to notice more and more on better stickhandler than me was how they managed to block the stick of their opponant as they try to touch the puck.Like even if they didn't move they just let the puck close to their skates , the opponants can try all he wants they will just keep blockign their stick then make a move and it's working pretty well.Datsyuk is good at this a lot.Is there any video on this I where can learn to master this?

any tips or infos in general on this particular aspect?

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
I'm a pretty good stickhandler but one thing I started to notice more and more on better stickhandler than me was how they managed to block the stick of their opponant as they try to touch the puck.Like even if they didn't move they just let the puck close to their skates , the opponants can try all he wants they will just keep blockign their stick then make a move and it's working pretty well.Datsyuk is good at this a lot.Is there any video on this I where can learn to master this?

any tips or infos in general on this particular aspect?

What do you mean? Like using your body to protect the puck? That's not really an advanced stickhandling question. Just really knowing how to use your body to protect the puck; and as for making a move afterwards, it's just pivoting off your checker.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
you mean when they stick lift? knocking the stick away from the ice so that their opponents cant get it?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Nope , that's not what I mean at all.Both of your post isn't what I'm talking about.
No body and no stick lift.Just putting your stick in the way between the stick of your opponant and the puck , you don't even have to move to do it , it's pretty awesome actually and it's hard to explain.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
When Detroit played Phoenix last week, Datsyuk tried something similar to this in the closing seconds of the game before the game reached OT.

He was 1-on-1 with a defencemen and already within a decent shooting range. So he makes a little move and puts the puck next to the defencemen, and then quickly in a blink-of-an-eye sequence knocks the defencemen's stick out of the way and gets off a good shot. It didn't result in a goal, but the way he was able to create that opportunity was mind blowing. I'd say that 99% of guys wouldn't have been able to get a shot off, because they wouldn't have had the presence of mind to knock the guys stick off balance before taking a quick snapper. This particular example in my mind is just an example of having a ridiculous hockey sense/IQ. I really don't think it could be taught. But tying up an oppenent's stick is probably something that could be improved on. Obviously anticipation is a huge factor, so whether or not one can dramatically improve on their anticipation is big. And to me, the biggest thing that i notice with great stickhandlers is their balance. Guys that attempt to stickhandle through players but are unsuccessful don't have the same balance with the puck in traffic.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
sorry im not english , where is the far side of the body , like far beside my skate on one side?

Apologies. The "far side" being the side of your body the defender is NOT on. If he's coming at you from your left- move it to your right. I find when you're in tight, it's not about have the puck stuck to your stick- but rather pushing it one way or the other to keep your opponent off-balance and unsure.

I'm not totally clear on what you're asking- whether you are in full flight or at a stand-still or somewhere in between, so again I'm sorry if this isn't helpful. What a guy like Datsyuk does so well is sell where his body is going. He keeps the puck in front of him so the defender has to be aware that he can move the puck to one side (forehand) or the other (backhand) and as soon as the D commits, Datsyuk goes the other way.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
^ I was afraid he was asking about that. That's a whole different level of hockey.

It's a different level because at minimum, all competent hockey players are only reading plays they can make with the puck. Datsyuk's level is different because not only is his mind reading/calculating what he available movements he has with the puck but simultaneously also reading/calculating what his defender's movements and options are.

not to mention, Datsyuk does all those reads while also reading where all 4 of his other teammates are and evaluates plays that "they" can make, and is also reading and tracking the other 4 opposing defenders; all at the rate of NHL level speed. It's just nuts how some guys operate.

Having that anticipation is the key to those kind of plays which really isn't a stickhandling skill, but more of an advanced hockey sense/IQ. (reading defender's moves ahead of time, i mean).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i'm a bit confused as to what the question here is...

but i can guarantee that the first step is being incredibly comfortable in moving the puck around with your stick in general, without pressure.

the things datsyuk does from there are...'special'. there's a reason he is the player he is. not to say there's no point trying...he's certainly a guy to look to as a model in stickhandling...but don't be frustrated when you want pull off the things he does. almost nobody else can. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad