Advanced Stats Records?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I know with most advanced statistics being so new, there isn't all that much to go by, but does anyone know of any records for either a player or a team for a single game, single season, or career (ie. best CORSI for a player in a single game)?

PenguinMario

Oct 21, 2011
Los Angeles
I know with most advanced statistics being so new, there isn't all that much to go by, but does anyone know of any records for either a player or a team for a single game, single season, or career (ie. best CORSI for a player in a single game)?

It's entirely possible to have a 100% corsi or fenwick in a single game, and I imagine it happens several dozen times a year. Total or rate stats might be harder to come by.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The highest On-ice Corsi by forwards over the course of a regular season:

1) 30.37 Tomas Holmstrom (07-08)
2) 29.77 Jason Williams (12-13)
3) 29.62 Henrik Zetterberg (07-08)
4) 27.94 Pavel Datsyuk (07-08)
5) 26.62 Patrice Bergeron (12-13)

* I use behindthenet.ca for my advanced stats
* Only goes back to the 07-08 season
* Used a 40 game minimum to eliminate any short term outliers

The highest On-ice Corsi by forwards during a playoff run:

1) 32.53 Sidney Crosby (09-10)
2) 29.90 Henrik Zetterberg (07-08)
3) 29.81 Tomas Holmstrom (07-08)
4) 29.73 Chris Kunitz (09-10)
5) 27.48 Pavel Datsyuk (07-08)

* I used minimum of 10 games (would have really liked to make it 15 games but it's either 10 or 20 and I didn't want to eliminate any Conference Finals runs)

Some notes overall:

- A lot of familiar faces in the top 25 year in and year out from 07-08 to 12-13: Datsyuk (all 6 seasons), Toews (5 seasons), Williams (4 seasons), Sedin (4 seasons), Holmstrom (4 seasons), Zetterberg (4 seasons), Franzen (3 seasons) Hossa (3 seasons), Kunitz (3 seasons - 1 while in Anaheim)

- Two units have really dominated since 11-12: (Bergeron/Marchand and Williams/Kopitar)

- The top 3 from last season are the current leaders as of this current season (Williams/Kopitar/Bergeron)

- Holmstrom's 4 seasons are pretty funny and a benefit of being Datsyuk's wingman

- Holmstrom's record single season in 07-08 is probably the result of being a defensive liability: in the later half of 3rd periods he'd often get replaced by Filppula when Detroit was attempting to hold a lead or tie

- Crosby is surprisingly underwhelming. Only 2 Top 25 seasons even if we use his injury shortened seasons (which he dominated points wise)

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There's several things you can look at.

1.) Raw Corsi for - Purely based on number of attempted shots directed towards the net
2.) Raw Corsi +/- - Based on net Corsi events that occur
3.) Corsi for rate - Time rated Corsi for
4.) Corsi +/- rate - Time rated net Corsi
5.) Corsi for percentage - Percentage of Corsi events that are for

With raw numbers you're favoring guys with high ice time. A defenseman who plays 30 minutes a game has far more time to see shots directed towards the opponent net than a forward playing 15.

With rate and percentage statistics you're running the risk of low sample sizes causing anomalous results. If a guy is on the ice for a single offensive zone shift in which his team dominates and gets 3-4 shots in 1 minute and then gets injured and doesn't play again he's going to post a 100% CF% and absurdly high corsi rate numbers.

silkyjohnson50 did a good job of eliminating low sample sizes with a 40 game minimum, although there's still the issue of context. If his stats are what you're looking for, they're good to go with, if you're looking for more, let us know specifics and we can point you to the best place to look.

I'm not aware of any specific location that has compiled all-time records for a few reasons. First, the stats are so new, all-time records don't have as much meaning; and second, one of the main points of analytics in its current state is context. A corsi +/- of 20 per 60 minutes is great if you're playing the opponents top line and starting 35% of your shifts in the ozone. However if all you face is 4th lines and start 75% in the ozone, suddenly that 20 isn't very impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad