Adult Hockey Leagues

csohio

Jan 31, 2009
I am new to plaing ice hockey. I have been taking a structured adult hockey class and am interested in playing on a league team. How does it work to get on a team? Can anyone provide any details of how you got started?

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
It all depends of your location I guess.
Here in the Toronto area there is an abundance of adult leagues and adult hockey schools. The bigger leagues such as True North Hockey and ASHL will have several levels of play (A to E or F) each night of the week. Some leagues will let you register as an individual and either place you on an existing team that is looking for players or make a new team will all the individual registrations.
Probably a good place to start would be asking the instructors and/or other players at the classes you are taking.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I would just call a rink who has teams and ask if any teams need anyone. A lot of times a rink has left over guys and they make a new team out of it which is usually a pretty terrible team but hey .... you get your foot in the door.

Basically $$$ talks too ... tell a guy who runs the team you'll pay up in advance for whatever you can afford and that usually does more than your skill level does to get on a team.

I usually get asked to play on a team when playing somehwere else at a pickup game or at shinny hockey.

I've been asked to play on 2 other teams besides the one I play on now for this upcoming winter.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
This can vary a lot.

Back in Denver when I first started playing, you would sign up for I league instructional camp. It was there usually an entire team would form, or at least you'd be directed to one.

We tried to play for the Richardson House league here in Dallas, but never could get on a team. So we went to Plano.

Ask the instructor or the rink manager if there is a 'free-agent' list. You usually sign up from there. You put your name on an 'at-large' list and wait for someone to call you. Most teams carry about 18-20 people on their roster.

This isn't because they want to ice that many players, but because most people cannot attend every game.

My team likes to play with 14/15 players. 3 forward lines(9) and 5 defenseman or 6...just depending usually we get 5. That keeps everyone happy with ice-time.

Free-agent list is the best way to go. But also ask around people you might know playing at that rink, sometimes word of mouth is the best way to get onto a team.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
In New England if you're going through classes, you're probably going to join a beer league or C level league at most. In those leagues, you just pretty much sign up and show up. No coaches or practices, just pick up hockey pretty much that's organized. Line changes is pretty much next one on the bench goes off, if your team is organized enough, you might do forwards and defense but if you don't have many subs, you'll probably play whoever gets off.

Saved*

I would just call a rink who has teams and ask if any teams need anyone. A lot of times a rink has left over guys and they make a new team out of it which is usually a pretty terrible team but hey .... you get your foot in the door.

Basically $$$ talks too ... tell a guy who runs the team you'll pay up in advance for whatever you can afford and that usually does more than your skill level does to get on a team.

I usually get asked to play on a team when playing somehwere else at a pickup game or at shinny hockey.

I've been asked to play on 2 other teams besides the one I play on now for this upcoming winter.

Ok man, we get it. You've got a cannon of a shot and everyone wants you to play on their pick up hockey teams, division 9 hockey teams, and even sub for some pro team.

It's getting annoying hearing the same type of babble designed to make you seem better than you actually are. Stop being so pretentious and just stick to what this forum is for, and not trying to convince people on the forum that you're some hockey god.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Ok man, we get it. You've got a cannon of a shot and everyone wants you to play on their pick up hockey teams, division 9 hockey teams, and even sub for some pro team.

It's getting annoying hearing the same type of babble designed to make you seem better than you actually are. Stop being so pretentious and just stick to what this forum is for, and not trying to convince people on the forum that you're some hockey god.

Hey Rented Mule, you know you made it in hockey if several beer league teams are after you to play for them after you cover the other people's fees ;)

Placebo Effect

Mar 7, 2007
Your Mind
Talk to the league commissioner/director/coordinator. Most leagues should have something to help individuals find a team. One of our leagues has a "free agent" list that teams needing a player can call. Another league has the option of registering as an individual and they'll group you together with others to make a new team. Since you're taking a class (I assume in a group) you can maybe talk to some others in your class about starting a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad