Adult Hockey League Suggestions

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Hey all. I recently became an adult hockey coordinator and am wondering if you guys have any ideas/suggestions for what your ideal adult hockey program would look like. It's pretty standard here so far. Games on Thursday and Sunday nights, 4 divisions, three 20 minute running clock periods. I'm looking to spice things up to make the league more enjoyable i.e. maybe implementing an adult fantasy hockey league where players can draft each other, a facebook page, etc. I'm looking for some feedback! Thanks.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Get rid of the running time and use 3, 15 minute stop clock.

Running time totally ruins the game because everything seems like a big rush and the penalties are a mess.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Get rid of the running time and use 3, 15 minute stop clock.

Running time totally ruins the game because everything seems like a big rush and the penalties are a mess.

I've noticed this as well. The league I used to play in was three 12 minute periods with a stopped clock. I like the stopped clock a lot better.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I've noticed this as well. The league I used to play in was three 12 minute periods with a stopped clock. I like the stopped clock a lot better.

Plus it really becomes a mess if a team is down by a goal with 5 minutes running time left...other team tries to delay everything and nobody is happy.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Probably won't work for your first year...
But apparently there's a league around here that what they do is everyone's first year signed up is as a sub that way you can be assessed at what division you best fit in.

Then it's an annual draft from year to year.

Also agree that stop time is better than run time games.

STL Blues Fan

Jan 14, 2011
There's a league around here where everybody's first year signing up they have a practice like every Thursday for a few weeks before they make teams and all new players have to show up to one of those to assess where there at and figure out what level they should play in.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
my league runs as such:
9 skill divisions.
16 min per roster, 18 max
only goalies and league officers can sub and only if you have less than 10 skaters. goalies must be level appropriate
new players attend an eval skate where they are ranked by the captains
three 25 minute run time periods, last 5:00 is stop time unless the losing team chooses to run the clock (games last approx. 1 1/2 hours of real time)
penalties in run time are 2:30, 2:00 if penalty occurs during stop time
if tied after regulation we have a 5 skater shootout

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
I play in a couple draft leagues. The league has its own sponsorships. They basically cover the cost of the jerseys. Everyone pays the same fee. There are a few evaluation skates between each session. It's a pretty good time. One league is open, one is over 30. The teams have a GM and an assistant GM. They do the draft like a fantasy football draft every player goes on a board is rated and listed by position. Games end up being pretty competitive, after a session or two everyone knows everyone and guys stay around from the early games and drink and heckle from the stands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad