Adult Hockey in NYC (Just Moved..)

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I just moved from San Diego, CA to New York City and am looking to understand which rinks are the best options for adult hockey in or near Manhattan (Upper West Side).

I got rid of or donated most of my gear as part of the move (kept skates and a pair of gloves) and will be looking to re-stock come February or March during tax season. I don't have room for storage, so I will be looking for a rink with storage lockers and most likely will be limited to playing there during my time in NYC.

I see Chelsea Piers and a rink in Long Island City may be good options, but I wanted to see if anyone could provide some insight into the adult hockey scene here in NYC. I came from D2/D3 in San Diego and would like to start getting some open hockey sessions in during the spring.

Any help with information would be much appreciated.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Chelsea Piers and City Ice Pavilion in LIC are the two most realistic options for you. Both have storage lockers, but check and see if there's a waitlist. There are open hockey sessions for both. I've played open hockey a couple times at CP and while it's great ice with a great view on the river, it's pricey!

My main rink is at CIP and I play in the men's league there. Good program and crowd, and it's the closest to me. Let me know if you have more specific questions!

The outdoor rink at Central Park (Trump Lasker) also runs an adult rec program. Don't know anyone that plays in it, but it's outdoors obviously.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Chelsea Piers and City Ice Pavilion in LIC are the two most realistic options for you. Both have storage lockers, but check and see if there's a waitlist. There are open hockey sessions for both. I've played open hockey a couple times at CP and while it's great ice with a great view on the river, it's pricey!

My main rink is at CIP and I play in the men's league there. Good program and crowd, and it's the closest to me. Let me know if you have more specific questions!

The outdoor rink at Central Park (Trump Lasker) also runs an adult rec program. Don't know anyone that plays in it, but it's outdoors obviously.

Very much appreciated. My plan is to continue my research and check out each rink around times they have games/open hockey. Didn't think about a waitlist for lockers, so definitely good to know.

I'll definitely let you know if I have more questions.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Do you have a car? Or will you be Ubering or (god forbid) taking the subway? Something else to consider.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

All these years and I had no idea you were in NYC. I thought you lived in Canada.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

Just out of curiosity, how much is 'pricey' for an open hockey in NYC?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
35 dollars for pickup hockey....jfc

Aviator in Brooklyn has good ice. They do lunch hockey at noon every day and i believe weekend nights.

World Ice in Corona Queens has open every Fri and Sat night 10-12.

Both are $20 iirc

Reactions: Missionhockey

Scott G

Nov 11, 2018
Long Island
Hey, I am just getting into hockey and live on Long Island but work in Manhattan. I’ve been compiling a list of rinks and times for open hockey, sticks and pucks, etc. I didn’t even bother putting chelsie piers on my list, but I did find some rinks I never knew existed such as World ice in queens, Lasker rink in CP as mentioned above, Riverbank rink on West side uptown, Aviator in Brooklyn, prospect park rink in Brooklyn and City ice pavilion in LIC. Haven’t been to any of them yet, been sticking to the ones on the island for now. If you want I could shoot you my list
Sorry, not sure if any of them have lockers...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad