Adult Hockey Camp

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Last year I was checking all around for hockey camps. I had been playing for just 1 year and wanted to get some coaching. I found a good deal of reviews on CAN/AM via google search. The best reviews were on peoples personal blogs which came up in my search. I never did sign up for a group camp as they were all far away and I was not sure the money was worth it. Also they just seemed like glorified guys weekends. I wanted something that was going to give me 1 on 1 instruction and was about hockey not about beer.

Since then, I hired a personal hockey coach (ex Div 1 college player) for 10 private 1 on 1 sessions ($60 each), built a personalized program via his information and youtube, and practice that program at least one time per week at stick n puck. This has improved my skating ability and overall game dramatically.

Just my 2 cents

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Last year I was checking all around for hockey camps. I had been playing for just 1 year and wanted to get some coaching. I found a good deal of reviews on CAN/AM via google search. The best reviews were on peoples personal blogs which came up in my search. I never did sign up for a group camp as they were all far away and I was not sure the money was worth it. Also they just seemed like glorified guys weekends. I wanted something that was going to give me 1 on 1 instruction and was about hockey not about beer.

Since then, I hired a personal hockey coach (ex Div 1 college player) for 10 private 1 on 1 sessions ($60 each), built a personalized program via his information and youtube, and practice that program at least one time per week at stick n puck. This has improved my skating ability and overall game dramatically.

Just my 2 cents

hmmm that's an interesting approach, I might look into that. Thanks!

BTW, did you do it during stick 'n puck times? I'm assuming that that cost did not include the cost of the ice time

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Your welcome.

The individual who I hired has a gym/hockey training facility attached to one of the local rinks. He has free use of their half sheet. So, ya it happened to work out great price wise. That said, looking back on it I would have paid $100 per session no problem.

sectachrome

Mar 12, 2010
Boulder, CO
I signed up for a Weekend Warriors camp this summer. I'm also not super concerned with the destination or socializing aspect, but it doesn't hurt. I didnt find a ton of reviews around beforehand and went back and forth on it before I bit the bullet, but I'm looking forward to it and will definitely report back on what I think of it.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Definitely recommend one on one personal instruction over group sessions for anyone that can manage it. Costs more but much better value for money in terms of results and more relevant to the individual issues you want to work on and address.

Tend to spend a lot more time standing around or waiting your turn when working in groups.

Bbddll

Oct 5, 2014
Not an "adult only" camp, but this will be the 4th year my son and I have done the CanAm family camp. We will be in Lake Placid in early July.
It's a great time, kids and adults on the ice together.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Not an "adult only" camp, but this will be the 4th year my son and I have done the CanAm family camp. We will be in Lake Placid in early July.
It's a great time, kids and adults on the ice together.

That's awesome! Hope I can enjoy some ice w/my son in the years to come. He's only 1.5 so I've got a ways to wait...

Mickaleen

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
It was un friggin believable, and worth every penny. This is NOT an instructional camp, its purely a fantasy camp. Only 3 of the surviving members of the Miracle team didn't make it, the rest were their (including Craig Patrick). The guys were absolutely incredible to be around, the swag was amazing, and the staff that runs the camp were on top of every little detail. Highly recommended.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
It was un friggin believable, and worth every penny. This is NOT an instructional camp, its purely a fantasy camp. Only 3 of the surviving members of the Miracle team didn't make it, the rest were their (including Craig Patrick). The guys were absolutely incredible to be around, the swag was amazing, and the staff that runs the camp were on top of every little detail. Highly recommended.

cool! What was the skill level of attendees?

Mickaleen

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
cool! What was the skill level of attendees?

Im a 47 yr old whos only been skating on a regular basis for 2 or 3 years, so it went from guys like me up to guys who played JR/College hockey. being one of the lesser skilled guys, I don't feel like I got any less out of the experience. Trying to figure out how to go again next year.....

sectachrome

Mar 12, 2010
Boulder, CO
So I did the Weekend Warriors camp in Vail a couple weeks ago. I'm a C league player who grew up playing in mostly rec level roller hockey leagues and then started playing ice 6 or 7 years ago.

Overall I thought the camp was good, and I learned a lot. Most of the other attendees were a good bit older (I'm 29), and more beginner level players. A lot of the focus in the beginning was edge work and power skating type stuff which I found pretty easy and basic, though I have room to improve for sure and it's always nice to brush up on that stuff. We did split up by skill level for some of the drills which was helpful. The best part of it for me was learning to stop properly with both feet and using your outside edge to stop. That was definitely my biggest weakness coming into the camp, and I absolutely improved there. In fact, I could hardly stop at all turning to my right and had no confidence in it in a game, and now somehow I can stop better on that side than the other. They also taught us some good basic strategy points that are easy to remember and try and focus on during games. I really would have liked some more focus on shooting. We just did some drills where we did some wrist shots and slap shots against the boards for a few minutes. The second half of the sessions doing more advanced things were a lot more interesting and valuable for me than the first half.

It was A LOT of ice time, almost bordering on too much for me. Not really physically as I was surprised at how I was able to keep going pretty good, but we were in such a nice location that it would have been nice to have a little more time to relax and enjoy it in between. I would recommend maybe staying a day or two extra after the camp is over to just hang out an relax.

The coaches were all very good. I got some individual instruction here and there when they spotted that I wasn't doing something quite right, probably about as much as can be expected with a group that big. We got jerseys, some Tron socks, a water bottle, and some other swag which was nice. I didn't really need or want the socks or water bottle though as I liked the ones I have better.

Overall I liked it, but I probably won't do it again. Many people there have been going every year for a long time. I guess as a social thing it could be a fun annual thing to do with your buddies, but I was just there to learn. For me, it was too expensive to do again just because (About $1200 for the camp and hotel). I got better at some stuff and have some good things to work on on my own now but I don't see the need to do it again. I would say if you're more of an intermediate player you might not get as much out of it as the lower level players do, but it can still be a good experience.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
That's awesome! Hope I can enjoy some ice w/my son in the years to come. He's only 1.5 so I've got a ways to wait...

Yeah! I really hope to be able to do stuff like this with my kids. I too will have to wait a while though, as #1 isn't due until December :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad