Adult Beginner league / lessons in Pickering ON

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I just got an email from the guy who runs the adult beginner hockey league I played in last summer and will be in again this summer.

****START*****

PLAYERS NEEDED
SUNDAYS, 14 WEEKS..
90 MIN, 40 MIN LESSON THEN A 40 MIN GAME
MALE OR FEMALE, AGES 14 AND OLDER
4 PM, 4:30 PM AND 5 PM GAME TIMES
COST, $255
PASS THE WORD, IF WE CAN FILL 4 TEAMS WE WILL DROP EVERYONE PRICE TO $210

****END****

Chuck is a good guy and when his Bro Chris comes out the classes are amazing.

Here is the website http://luvofhockey.com and the enrollment email address [email protected]

I can't say enough good about this class and the company.
I might have some time in net with this league so there should be some easy goals to get. :p:

Last edited:

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
Cool - I would've signed up, but I'm all the way in BC.

Anybody know of a beginner league/lessons in Vancouver?

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Cool - I would've signed up, but I'm all the way in BC.

Anybody know of a beginner league/lessons in Vancouver?

wish I did sorry. I'll ask a few guys that I play shinny with. They lived out west for a while.

DHD14

Jan 18, 2009
Toronto/London UK
Canlan Icesports offers a wide range of beginner programs and likely leagues as well. They have rinks all over the country and 5 in BC, so surely a few in Vancouver itself. Check it out www.icesports.com. Their Hockey Academy would probably be what you're looking for as its all skills and drills stuff I believe. Worth checking out anyhow!

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
Canlan Icesports offers a wide range of beginner programs and likely leagues as well. They have rinks all over the country and 5 in BC, so surely a few in Vancouver itself. Check it out www.icesports.com. Their Hockey Academy would probably be what you're looking for as its all skills and drills stuff I believe. Worth checking out anyhow!

Ya, I've looked into Canlan (8 Rinks specifically), but they only have adult leagues - 19 above, or adult lessons. What sucks is I'm 17, and I want to get into hockey, I don't really want to wait 2 more years.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Ya, I've looked into Canlan (8 Rinks specifically), but they only have adult leagues - 19 above, or adult lessons. What sucks is I'm 17, and I want to get into hockey, I don't really want to wait 2 more years.

I'm on my way to Canlan Scarborough in a few min for my son to skate a shooting class (He gets to play net for them. I'll ask if there is a waver you can get. the Adult beginner classes tend to be more expensive and full of johnny-go-hards so keep that in mind when registering for any class. make sure you are working with like minded people. It's funny how some guys start playing in there late 20s an 30s and act like they are heading to the NHL next week.

I'm very laid back about playing not because I suck (And dog know I suck) more because I'm out to get exercise and have fun talking a little smack.

Glen440

Mar 15, 2011
Scarborough, Ontario
I'm on my way to Canlan Scarborough in a few min for my son to skate a shooting class (He gets to play net for them. I'll ask if there is a waver you can get. the Adult beginner classes tend to be more expensive and full of johnny-go-hards so keep that in mind when registering for any class. make sure you are working with like minded people. It's funny how some guys start playing in there late 20s an 30s and act like they are heading to the NHL next week.

I'm very laid back about playing not because I suck (And dog know I suck) more because I'm out to get exercise and have fun talking a little smack.

I'm playing at scarborough canlans at 4:15 on wednesdays for the next 3 weeks. I was there on rink 1 today 4:15-5:15

I would try the class in pickering but summer weekends are tuff to do and I mentioned it to someone I work with and he said I'm likely to advanced for that even though I have only been playing 7 months.

I have taken the canlans power skating and hockey skills class and liked it. I might take it again in the fall.

Does your son get coached by Tate Philips? I see he is there at that time. I played a shinny game with him and he's nuts.

jlnjcb

Feb 4, 2010
I have taken the canlans power skating and hockey skills class and liked it. I might take it again in the fall.

I was considering trying to sign up for power skating (beginner level). Questions - I have decent skating ability (as in I can skate fine going forwards, and stop) but that's it. I'm assuming this is fine considering it's a beginner level? Also, do you do lessons with a puck? Or is it purely skating?

Also, is full gear required? If it is, I'll need to get a new set :(.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I'm playing at scarborough canlans at 4:15 on wednesdays for the next 3 weeks. I was there on rink 1 today 4:15-5:15

I would try the class in pickering but summer weekends are tuff to do and I mentioned it to someone I work with and he said I'm likely to advanced for that even though I have only been playing 7 months.

Does your son get coached by Tate Philips? I see he is there at that time. I played a shinny game with him and he's nuts.

The current Saturday morning session is really jam-packed, and the instruction isn't nearly as good as it was a few years ago. The new instructors don't really give any feedback... they just send you through drills regardless of whether or not you're doing things right.

I was considering trying to sign up for power skating (beginner level). Questions - I have decent skating ability (as in I can skate fine going forwards, and stop) but that's it. I'm assuming this is fine considering it's a beginner level? Also, do you do lessons with a puck? Or is it purely skating?

Full gear is required. You might be able to do level 2... during the summers level 1, 2 and 3 all share the ice. I haven't done L1 but I see them scraping the ice, doing crossovers, etc etc. L2 has a lot of tight turns, transitions, backwards skating w/ puck, etc etc...

I just got an email from the guy who runs the adult beginner hockey league I played in last summer and will be in again this summer.

****START*****

PLAYERS NEEDED
SUNDAYS, 14 WEEKS..
90 MIN, 40 MIN LESSON THEN A 40 MIN GAME
MALE OR FEMALE, AGES 14 AND OLDER
4 PM, 4:30 PM AND 5 PM GAME TIMES
COST, $255
PASS THE WORD, IF WE CAN FILL 4 TEAMS WE WILL DROP EVERYONE PRICE TO $210

****END****

Chuck is a good guy and when his Bro Chris comes out the classes are amazing.

Here is the website http://luvofhockey.com and the enrollment email address [email protected]

I can't say enough good about this class and the company.
I might have some time in net with this league so there should be some easy goals to get. :p:
How beginner is beginner?

Last edited:

Glen440

Mar 15, 2011
Scarborough, Ontario

When I took the class I could not really stop or skate backwards. I was in level 1 and was one of the better skaters. I can go to level 2 now.

You need full equipment, they teach you to skate with your stick and you will do puck drills. The first thing they do is a full group warmup with skating drills then split into levels and do skating and puck drills and sometimes a scrimmage at the end of class.

I'm sure you would be fine for the class as some people will hardly be able to skate. I was gonna take it again but I would miss too many in spring.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ

Tate is funny as hell and lights up in the change room once i a while. I have played with Tate, Ben Davis, Mike Knight, Mark, and a few other ringers (pro / ex-pros) all on the ice at shinny at Canlan. Tate is a good guy except when he is playing with Ben then the two of them own the puck if they want it. They show me some quarter at times. and laugh when I sneak up and beat them (usually at the end of the 2 hours LOL)
Tate works with Ben I saw Tate out back with Ben last night and they had a bunch of 15 year olds doing off ice training.

My son gets called out by Denis to play net for the kids stick handling classes (you should know Denis)

The class I posted is a mixed lot from beginner skaters to older guys who are just getting back into hockey after years of bring off the ice. I'm a good skater and getting better all the time but this class is just fun and makes me work harder than just playing shinny or beer league. As well I have lead hands and I get to work on my shot when I get to skate out. you would fit right in at level 2 power skating and it's cheeper than Canlan. Don't get me wrong Canlan is amazing and everyone I have dealt with there are just as amazing but this Sunday 4:00 PM class 14, class/league for $210 is a good deal.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
How beginner is beginner?

The class I posted is a mixed lot from beginner skaters to older guys who are just getting back into hockey after years of bring off the ice. I'm a good skater and getting better all the time but this class is just fun and makes me work harder than just playing shinny or beer league. within the first 2 or 3 classes the guy who are coming back to hockey usually have there legs under them and look good and the classes move faster around L2 power skating.
The price is great for what you get too.

Glen440

Mar 15, 2011
Scarborough, Ontario
Has the summer league started yet? I would likely only make it to half of them so it would not be worth it.

Is there a winter league with the same format? I would join the winter one.

The canlans class I liked because they made me do things I wouldn't do on my own and was a fast paced class if you skated hard in the drills.

A guy I work with is a friend of Tate's and he had Tate come to a game we were having. There were a few really good players on the ice I had never played with before. I think we are going to do that again soon.

purelife

Apr 29, 2011
I think i am going to sign up for this one, i am playing in true north this summer also starting out skating 2 times a week should help me progress better for sure.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Has the summer league started yet? I would likely only make it to half of them so it would not be worth it.

Is there a winter league with the same format? I would join the winter one.

The canlans class I liked because they made me do things I wouldn't do on my own and was a fast paced class if you skated hard in the drills.

A guy I work with is a friend of Tate's and he had Tate come to a game we were having. There were a few really good players on the ice I had never played with before. I think we are going to do that again soon.

It starts this Sunday. at Art Thompson

GAME TIMES, 4, 4:30 AND 5 PM
14 WEEKS, 90 MIN TIME SLOTS
40 MIN PRACTICE THEN, 40 MIN GAME
COST, ONLY.. $255

I think i am going to sign up for this one, i am playing in true north this summer also starting out skating 2 times a week should help me progress better for sure.

Cool See you Sunday. And make sure anyone starting that saw the class posted here lets chuck know that Adam sent you via this posting. Please.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
heads up to anyone who emailed chuck and got no response. I was just PMed about this and received an email this AM from Chuck.

**start**

SUMMER LEAGUE GAME TIMES FOR MAY 1ST....

IT SEEMS THAT SOME OF YOU DID NOT RECIEVE THE EMAIL WE SENT OUT WITH YOUR FIRST
GAME TIME.

WE APOLGIZE AND HAVE OUR WEB HOST LOOKING INTO THIS..

IF YOU DID RECIEVE YOUR GAME TIME.. PLEASE COME AT THAT TIME..

FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT RECIEVE THE GAME TIME.. PLEASE COME FOR 5 PM SUNDAY MAY 1ST...
ART THOMPSON ARENA

PLEASE TRY TOO BRING BOTH A LIGHT AND DARK JERSEY FOR THIS WEEK.

**End**

You can just show up with cash in hand.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
First skate was good but still looking for a few adult beginners and people who want to start playing again.
I was in net today and I did okay for someone who is not a regular goalie. Good bunch of guys and girls out playing today and it should be fun. I'm going to call a few goalies to see if I can get out of net for some of the classes.

Hope to get more people out for next week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad