AD's Top 25 American Players for the 2018 NHL Draft

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Good read AD,

Can you offer some insight into Jacob Pivonka? From the small sample I've seen, I've been impressed. What is your take?

I was higher on him to start the year than I am now. The offense just hasn't come the way I hoped for him. He is a solid 200ft player, very smart, reminds me actually a lot of Anders Bjork. I think he gets picked higher than Bjork as I have Pivonka as a 3rd rounder-early...but I think he can carve out that career as Bjork is doing and heading to the same college as Bjork did. Pivonka has been lost in the mix with the USNDP at times, once he heads to the Irish I think we will see him come a live and become a name for people to look much closer at when redrafts come around. Better passer than shooter despite his numbers..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Great work AD. Realy great work.

Wahlstrom's a guy I could see play center as well if the team who drafts him goes that way. He has so many offensive tools and uses his teammates well. He's my number 1 american for the draft, too.

I have Hughes over Tkachuk and Wilde after, but above Farabee, but that said I rank my players in groups moreso than a pure 1-31 ranking.

Like you said, this is a real deep group for the US. They're scary to watch together, lots of skill, smarts and chemistry. I'm a fan.

He did very well at the five nations. Not as well as Jack Wise, but he stood out just about every game and was my 5th best forward for the US. I don't have him in my top 60, but he's ranked too low by central scouting and I can see him developping fairly well in the NCAA.

Lots to be excited about for US fans.

And for those who missed the 5 nations, Jack Hughes was absolutely dominant. The best player by far.

Thank you very much, appreciate the kind words...

Wahlstrom is a guy I would like to see at center as well, just not sure we ever will...I think he can adjust nicely and really be a force there..

so you have Hughes over Tkachuk and Farabee if I read that right? As I said, I know others who do as well, it is a hard pill to swallow for NHL GMs to use a top 5-6 pick on a 5'9/5'10 defender...I am usually more forward biased over defensemen but I can see the case for Hughes going ahead of both. I think Farabee is criminally underrated on these boards - that kid is going to be a star player who just does a lot of things right.

And Jack Hughes - yeah he is real good!!lol!! Can't wait to see him next year at the WJC centering that top line with Wahlstrom and Farabee- good times ahead!

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Thank you very much, appreciate the kind words...

Wahlstrom is a guy I would like to see at center as well, just not sure we ever will...I think he can adjust nicely and really be a force there..

so you have Hughes over Tkachuk and Farabee if I read that right? As I said, I know others who do as well, it is a hard pill to swallow for NHL GMs to use a top 5-6 pick on a 5'9/5'10 defender...I am usually more forward biased over defensemen but I can see the case for Hughes going ahead of both. I think Farabee is criminally underrated on these boards - that kid is going to be a star player who just does a lot of things right.

And Jack Hughes - yeah he is real good!!lol!! Can't wait to see him next year at the WJC centering that top line with Wahlstrom and Farabee- good times ahead!

It honestly speaks more of the depth of this draft up until around the 12th-15th position than Farabee or Tkachuk, as I really like both.

I don't see the same upside you do for Farabee, but I do agree the guy is good. He's smart and basically has no clear weak points in his game or skills. I was actually a bit disapointed in his 5 nations tourney as I thought he looked much better in his games against College teams. He's ahead of a lot of forwards for me too, but I'm always biased towards defensemen, centers and players that "wow" you. Hughes always impresses me. When someone has a skill (in his case, puck handling and skating) so much above his peers and even NHLers you have to take notice. I do see his weaknesses though and can easily see why some would have him lower. I wouldn't bet my house he'll be a top pairing guy, but I like his skill too much.

I don't have any of Hughes, Tkachuk or Farabee in my top 6 though, but I have a ton of americans all the way to the early third round. It's a really good group of players and I'm seeing a lot of potential NHLers.

Thanks for the response btw, really enjoy your insight and it helps me understand the draft/projections better.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It honestly speaks more of the depth of this draft up until around the 12th-15th position than Farabee or Tkachuk, as I really like both.

I don't see the same upside you do for Farabee, but I do agree the guy is good. He's smart and basically has no clear weak points in his game or skills. I was actually a bit disapointed in his 5 nations tourney as I thought he looked much better in his games against College teams. He's ahead of a lot of forwards for me too, but I'm always biased towards defensemen, centers and players that "wow" you. Hughes always impresses me. When someone has a skill (in his case, puck handling and skating) so much above his peers and even NHLers you have to take notice. I do see his weaknesses though and can easily see why some would have him lower. I wouldn't bet my house he'll be a top pairing guy, but I like his skill too much.

I don't have any of Hughes, Tkachuk or Farabee in my top 6 though, but I have a ton of americans all the way to the early third round. It's a really good group of players and I'm seeing a lot of potential NHLers.

Thanks for the response btw, really enjoy your insight and it helps me understand the draft/projections better.

well that is it, I no longer will talk to you!! lol... that is based off your assessment of Farabee! honestly he is a player that I know some people absolutely love (like myself) and some others just haven't seen what we do...I can't fault you for being partially blind..I kid, I kid!

Farabee is just an all around solid player, these are the kids that make it to the NHL quicker than names drafted ahead of them. He has a compete level rivaled by few and his skill set is top notch. I think he goes closer to #10 then #15, happily say you were right if I am wrong.

As for Tkachuk, I have ZERO doubt he goes top 5...absolutely zero. Teams covet the type of player he is, and there was a team or two who "missed" on his brother, that will not happen with Brady.

You are right with Hughes, the kid does things better than others to such an extent it can be awesome to watch. But I still see this "old school" view in the NHL when it comes to a player of his size and position, if there is a GM drafting in the top 6 that doesn't care about that and looks like we do just at skill, then yep he is going very high...if most of these GMs don't want to ride a top 10 pick on Hughes I can see that happening as well...he is one of the names I am beyond anxious to see where he goes as if he goes closer to #5 then #10, the league is truly changing.

Enjoy the conversation as well, lots of great talent coming from all nations, very happy my back yard is starting to consistently develop kids year in and year out.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
well that is it, I no longer will talk to you!! lol... that is based off your assessment of Farabee! honestly he is a player that I know some people absolutely love (like myself) and some others just haven't seen what we do...I can't fault you for being partially blind..I kid, I kid!

Farabee is just an all around solid player, these are the kids that make it to the NHL quicker than names drafted ahead of them. He has a compete level rivaled by few and his skill set is top notch. I think he goes closer to #10 then #15, happily say you were right if I am wrong.

As for Tkachuk, I have ZERO doubt he goes top 5...absolutely zero. Teams covet the type of player he is, and there was a team or two who "missed" on his brother, that will not happen with Brady.

You are right with Hughes, the kid does things better than others to such an extent it can be awesome to watch. But I still see this "old school" view in the NHL when it comes to a player of his size and position, if there is a GM drafting in the top 6 that doesn't care about that and looks like we do just at skill, then yep he is going very high...if most of these GMs don't want to ride a top 10 pick on Hughes I can see that happening as well...he is one of the names I am beyond anxious to see where he goes as if he goes closer to #5 then #10, the league is truly changing.

Enjoy the conversation as well, lots of great talent coming from all nations, very happy my back yard is starting to consistently develop kids year in and year out.

I should be more precise about something:

I think you're right on mark in where they'll likely be going at the actual draft, for all of Farabee, Tkachuk and Hughes. But, I don't rank according to what NHL teams will do :laugh:, moreso which players I like.

I can't say I disagree on Tkachuk or Farabee either. I can't find a fault in Farabee's game, but at the same time I'm not seeing the gamebreaking skill or Toews/Voracek like IQ I like to see in my top picks. He's just good at everything and every coach he'll have will love him as not only does he never take a shift off, he does all the "little" things (which is an expression I usually hate). Both him and Tkachuk already have a pro game, so scouts will love them.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Excellent as always AD. As I'm getting older a lot of these players names become more foreign, always nice to read a little bit about the future of the US team.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Good stuff AD. I look forward to your thoughts on Emberson

I do not know why but out of M. Samuelsson, Miller, A. Samuelsson, Wilde, and Emberson, I think Emberson could be the longest/best pro player. I have ranked a bit lower than I wanted when it all came together, but he will be the big riser in redrafts next year. He has the size, skill, skating, and two way awareness that makes him a very tantalizing prospect. I like this kid a lot, I think he has flown completely under the radar because of the bigger more raw defenders he has on his team, but make no mistake about it Emberson can hold his own and should be a solid 2nd round pick.

Reactions: Andrei79

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
well after a month since, most are still looking strong. Jake Wise would be moved up a few spots for me as he has definitely risen. Wahlstrom has only further cemented his top status for me and Tkachuk still is my second best American...I will get to the write ups on the other players shortly

Peeps

May 24, 2017
#1. Oliver Wahlstrom - 6'1 205lbs - F - (I Agree + also best forward available imo)

#2. Brady Tkachuk - 6'3 196 lbs - F /
#3. Joel Farabee - 6'0 164 lbs - F / #4. Quinn Hughes - 5'10 174 lbs - D -

(They can all go after Wahlstrom in any order. I think they all have the same value.
Brady is the best forward available in the draft to complete a NHL duo. Exemple: Getzlaf/Perry + Brady or Seguin/Benn + Brady. Etc.
Farabee like you said can do it all. Complete forward.
And Hughes is the best puck moving D available
They all have different assets and at the same time the same draft value)

#6. Mattias Samuelsson - 6'4 217 lbs - D -
Simply put, he has been a rock out there all year for the USNDP. He has been their most consistent dman this year but has made some errors and some growing pains as well. He is such a big body in the mold of a Derek Forbort, the ceiling is through the roof for this kid who likely makes it as a shut down defender at the NHL level. Top 20-25 pick. (all the ingredient for a bad bad pick : 1)big body 2)Derek Forbort 3)ceiling through the roof 4)shut down D :thumbd: 5) also, you forgot to mention that he is a PIM wizard :sarcasm:)

#8. K'Andre Miller - 6'3 206 - D - The wild card player here. He can easily go in the top 30 if scouts are buying all in on his upside. He is raw, very raw. A forward for most of his career, defense has been a learning experience for him this year, but you can clearly see why scouts love his upside. He is that star/flop type player that if he hits, he can be an absolute home run. He comes with risk though which is why I safely see him in the 30-40 range. (You have Samuelsson @ #6 but Miller @ #8 ??? Miller is way ahead of Samuelsson for me. No brainer)

#9. Jake Wise - 5'10 -170 lbs - F - The one time potential #1 overall pick, Jake has battled inconsistent play last year and an injury to start the season to finally getting on the ice and being a ppg player behind that powerful #1 line. Wise hasn't really grown much the past few seasons which has hurt him IMO, but the hands, speed, vision are all there for him to take his time, find his stride and be a top player again. Rankings are putting his name back in the top 45, if he has the U18 tourney I expect he will be another riser to focus on in June. (I mean, let's forget about last year. Let's focus on this year: He's killing it! Plain and simple. Also the fact that he hasn't grown shouldn't be a concern.. at all. He's 5'10'' which is obviously good enough for any league and he is 190 lbs. Which means he is like a Crosby at 5'11'' and 200 lbs. Heavy for his height.)

source: Game Center and Jake Wise

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the year is pretty much over, and outside of a few minor changes here and there, I think the list has held up pretty reasonably. you can make a case for Hughes to go higher, and obviously at this moment I would switch him and Farabee, but a lot of the USHL sleepers I had ranked high have lived up to it IMO. Jake Wise definitely rises a few spots here, but will NHL teams take this kid as one of the best centers in this draft? He certainly has looked and played like one the past 2 months...overall, it is a deep group of USA players, and Central Scouting pretty much confirmed it with almost 20 US kids in their top 50.

I missed a few prep players out East like Harris who looks like a real good one...but that is going to happen as it is hard to follow get much info from those areas.

keep these drafts coming boys, the future continues to look brighter and brighter..

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->