ADM cross ice hockey

ledo ritulys

Feb 19, 2005
Curious to see how people think of the ADM at this point. I have a 6 year old who is in his first year of hockey. Seems to me he DOES actually get to touch the puck much more than if it was full ice. However, I can see the "more experienced" players are losing the puck more because they have less room. This is also probably a good thing.

Jive Time

Jul 24, 2009
This is still my favorite article to read when it comes to the motivations behind ADM:

Producing elite U.S. players starts at bottom

The big thing is small area games. Most people refer to them as cross ice hockey that we are trying to refer to as "Red, White and Blue" hockey. We are trying to institute it until the age of 8. Over in Europe and most places, they do it until age 10 or 12. If you took the average adult player and asked him to skate the length of the ice, it would be 15 or 16 strides. If you took a Mite and asked him or her to skate crossboard to crossboard it would be about 15 to 16 strides. It's ludicrous that that little kid is playing full ice hockey.

We should be playing more stuff in small areas, teaching our kids to make decisions quicker, faster, protect more pucks and make more plays in traffic. If they can do it at age 8, 9 or 10, then they will be able to do it at 16, 17 and 18. We refer to Mite (8 and under) and Squirt (9 and 10) hockey as "breakaway hockey." The best player gets the puck at the blue line and skates 180 feet straight down the ice with no pressure on him and takes a shot on net. That's not real hockey.

I'll take cross-ice hockey all day long over watching breakaway full ice hockey for U8s. Everyone benefits in this scenario including the more experienced players referred to above.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
For the US posters, how has your enrollment been since the inception of the ADM?

This year was our rink's biggest year yet. And everyone loves the cross ice play. Even my PeeWees enjoy playing 3 on 3 cross ice for fun. I really don't understand how anyone could watch a group of mites playing on the big ice and think that's a good use of their time. What sport puts their 10 year olds, much less their 6 year olds, on a pro sized playing field?

ledo ritulys

Feb 19, 2005
This is still my favorite article to read when it comes to the motivations behind ADM:

Producing elite U.S. players starts at bottom

I'll take cross-ice hockey all day long over watching breakaway full ice hockey for U8s. Everyone benefits in this scenario including the more experienced players referred to above.

I guess the only real argument against ADM is that it does not appear to benefit the "Elite" U8 players because they will be "stuck" playing cross-ice. But in the long run, the small area will be a benefit to them once the others catch up the him, skill wise, in a few years.

deadphish23

Feb 8, 2012
My son will be 6 this fall. He has done some, what I consider to be, rather unorganized Learn to Play sessions the past several months. He is probably on the lower end of the ability spectrum, but does skate and pass/shoot the puck. He will get in a really organized LTP this summer before we have to decide, but.....

Is this enough experience to start the ADM in the fall?

epo

Oct 27, 2011
In my area we have a 110x50 rink. At the other rinks 5/6 start the season playing half ice and finish playing full ice.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
As a kid growing up, right after Man walked upright for the first time, I don't remember passing up an outdoor game because the ice we were going to use was less than 85X200.:laugh:

The more times that more kids are on the ice is a good thing, with or without coaches. Sometimes the latter is actually preferable. :laugh:

ledo ritulys

Feb 19, 2005
Next season USA Hockey is mandating cross ice for all 8U teams. However, I then start to get emails from www.tsmhl.com touting the full ice mite league. Nothing on the site mentions the benefit of full ice...which brings me to this question; what are the arguments for full ice for Mites???

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
It may ahve already been said but I'm almost certain the USAH has made this mandatory as of last year for 5-6 year olds. I may be wrong but I do remember reading this.

torped929

Jan 4, 2012
My son is 7 years old and on a mite team. We only play full ice games if we schedule them ourselves. For example if we have a practice scheduled by ourselves we might invite another team to skate with us. It is honestly the most fun they have on the ice. All other scheduled games are cross ice.

ledo ritulys

Feb 19, 2005
Forget the "Mandate". USA Hockey will allow Mite/8U to play full ice in 2013/14 (according to sources fresh from the Winter Meeting in Orlando). How can they expect people to buy in fully if they (USA HOCKEY) will not?

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Forget the "Mandate". USA Hockey will allow Mite/8U to play full ice in 2013/14 (according to sources fresh from the Winter Meeting in Orlando). How can they expect people to buy in fully if they (USA HOCKEY) will not?

I'm very confused. USA Hockey has been all about small area games and mites playing cross ice. Now they are going to go back to full ice for mites next season?

ledo ritulys

Feb 19, 2005
They are allowing full ice exceptions. I.e. full ice allowed after January. As long as they grant exceptions, they will always have trouble convincing the holdouts.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Has anyone here done the certification for USA Hockey coaching? What all is involved?

You have to attend a coaching seminar (length depends on level of certification) and then take an online module for the age level that you will coach.

The online module is good as long as you coach that age level, once you change the age level you have to take another module.

While I applaud USA Hockey for it's coaching education program it does have some negatives. Here is a good read about USA Hockey from a different point of view.

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/onlin...18-why-do-we-send-millions-to-usa-hockey.html

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Reason I ask is my son is turning four soon and next year I could register him for mini-mites. Part of that (and any hockey association it seems) is volunteering, and if I wanted to do anything on ice that would require level 1 certification for mites. What kind of costs are involved?

That's an interesting link. I've probably paid out $300 in USA Hockey fees the last several years and I'm guessing it will just go up. And no I haven't received anything in return. Kind of sucks that the most expensive sport to play requires that additional fee.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Reason I ask is my son is turning four soon and next year I could register him for mini-mites. Part of that (and any hockey association it seems) is volunteering, and if I wanted to do anything on ice that would require level 1 certification for mites. What kind of costs are involved?

That's an interesting link. I've probably paid out $300 in USA Hockey fees the last several years and I'm guessing it will just go up. And no I haven't received anything in return. Kind of sucks that the most expensive sport to play requires that additional fee.

Iirc the seminar is $45 or so. Can't recall how much the online module was, maybe $25?

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Has anyone here done the certification for USA Hockey coaching? What all is involved?

I have - I'm level 3 now, certified for mites/squirts/peewees. You have to sign up to go to a seminar which is about 6 hours or so, maybe? That part is for your level#, and it goes into more detail as you go up. You can only do one level a year. Then you have to complete an online module for each age group that you coach. You can do multiple age modules in a year. I did mites and squirts last year, peewees this year. The online module is really long and expect to take several days to complete it as you do it in your spare time.

You have to go to the USA Hockey website to find a coaching clinic near you at or before the start of the season. Depending on where you are, you might not have a lot of options, and if you only have one clinic for your level that year, you gotta make sure you can get to it that day.

The coaching clinics have always been worthwhile for me. You get to meet a lot of coaches in your area, and hear about things that worked well for them. I even took some of the things I learned from the clinics and applied it to the robotics team that I coach. You get a bunch of their resources for planning practices, etc., so part of the clinic fee goes to those sorts of things. Some associations will cover the clinic fees, so be sure to ask about that.

Coaching is really fun! You will have a great time!

Jive Time

Jul 24, 2009

Personally, I don't think the money you spend with USAHockey is all that much. Wait till you start spending 1K dragging your family to to a stay-to-play tournaments... I'm sure it get's worse.

I don't know about other areas, but the coaching clinics are ok. The modules aren't too bad but they are looooooooong. There always seems to be something good to take away.

When you do start working with Mites, and you need to start coming up with a practice plan, go look at the USAHocky Coaching Materials section. You will find a wealth of helpful information.

Finally, assuming it's the same in other districts, you will probably need your certifications if you want to be on the bench for certain leagues and tournaments.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeah it's kind of frightening to look at the costs down the road. I'm already paying hundreds in child support each month and don't know if I'll ever be able to every own a house and then throw several grand on top of that! Yikes!

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
Yeah it's kind of frightening to look at the costs down the road. I'm already paying hundreds in child support each month and don't know if I'll ever be able to every own a house and then throw several grand on top of that! Yikes!

Ya, my son plays on 2 teams right now, a Squirt and a school team. The total for both is around $2600. Thankfully the Squirt team decided not to do an out of town tournament, so that will save me a few hundred in hotel/travel expenses. Still, the 2 local tournies we are playing will be at least another $100-125. For $1700,we get decent value out of it. We get 2 full ice practices a week starting mid-Sept through February. He has 24 league games and 9 home non-league game. We also picked up 2 road non-league games as well. Between practice and games, he's on the ice 4-5 times a week.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Ya, my son plays on 2 teams right now, a Squirt and a school team. The total for both is around $2600. Thankfully the Squirt team decided not to do an out of town tournament, so that will save me a few hundred in hotel/travel expenses. Still, the 2 local tournies we are playing will be at least another $100-125. For $1700,we get decent value out of it. We get 2 full ice practices a week starting mid-Sept through February. He has 24 league games and 9 home non-league game. We also picked up 2 road non-league games as well. Between practice and games, he's on the ice 4-5 times a week.

Where in Philly are you? What school has a team for 10-11 year olds?

My son is a mite and he's on the ice about the same. 2 practices (half ice), 1 game per weekend in addition to "basic skills" (just skating) Friday and power skating on Sunday.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
Where in Philly are you? What school has a team for 10-11 year olds?

My son is a mite and he's on the ice about the same. 2 practices (half ice), 1 game per weekend in addition to "basic skills" (just skating) Friday and power skating on Sunday.

Check you PM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad