Adjusting to new skates

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Is it normal to have to learn to skate again when buying new skates? That's how it feels. I went from some cheap $50 pair of CCM 92's that were carbon steel. I've had them for a year and after recommendation I decided to buy a real pair of hockey skates. I picked up some Bauer Vapor10's. I went to public skate today and it was like having to learn to skate again. I found stopping very difficult compared to my old skates, the blade didn't want to seem to angle. I figure it could be due to a few things, these are my first stainless steel skates, they are new and haven't been broken in, and also the blade is different, has triangular holes in the blade (are these t-blades? if so I've heard they are difficult to adjust to). They look like this: http://viking.in2.ru/equipment/bauer/skates/vapor10.jpg

Just wondering if this is normal. It's discouraging since I traded in my cheap CCM's, though I'm thinking about going back and buying them for whatever they marked them up to!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe they didn't sharpen the skates the same way you had your old skates sharpened?

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
No, those aren't T-blades. Bauer used that steel a few years back to help reduce the weight of the skate. Stainless steel won't feel any different.

You went from a cheapo skate to a pro level skate. It's gonna take some time to adjust to a stiffer boot.

Were you fitted correctly and did you have your blades sharpened and profiled?

Jeffw-13

Mar 23, 2006
Bauer and CCMs are two totally different styles of skates...the leans on them, the pitches.

What she said^^^

If I'm not mistaken the Bauer's tend to get you back on you heels more than CCM's. The radius of the steel is probably also different (more or less blade on the ice).

Ask around & see if you can find a shop that does 'profiling'. They can cut your steel to more closely match the CCM profile you're used to. Another option would be heel lifts which in a nutshell is putting a spacer in between the heel of the boot and the holder which would put you more on your toes.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Were you fitted correctly and did you have your blades sharpened and profiled?

I believe I was fitted correctly. My shoe size is a 13, my skates are 11.5. When I put the skates on, my toes touch the ends. When I kick my heel back, my right toe can touch the end, the left foot doesn't but I assume it's close. They are a snug, tight fit, not too lose.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Well CCMs are quite a bit more of a "flatter" skate. (I am a CCM/RBK user)

If you look at that holders you can see the difference.

Either get them profiled or take a look at getting the CCM holders and steel in. Or else you are going to have a really long adjustment period.

I tried to switch to the NB190. I tried them for two ice times and ended up going with the RBK 9Ks instead. I kept falling over my own feet and my transition game SUCKED. I would lose an edge and carreen off into the corner. The fit was great, me using them, not so much.

The RBKs are almost identical to the CCM TACKS that I was using before and the adjustment time was only one practice.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
skate.gif

14003691_tp.jpg

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I switched from CCMs to those exact Vapor 10s about half year ago. Sounds like a sharpening issue...fresh sharpening you usually feel a little funky out there. But also like some said, the blade profile is a little different, as I always felt like I was gonna fall backwards the first couple times I used them. I didn't change the radius or anything, and eventually just got used to them...it'll take some time.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
I switched from CCMs to those exact Vapor 10s about half year ago. Sounds like a sharpening issue...fresh sharpening you usually feel a little funky out there. But also like some said, the blade profile is a little different, as I always felt like I was gonna fall backwards the first couple times I used them. I didn't change the radius or anything, and eventually just got used to them...it'll take some time.

That sounds promising, I'll stick with them. Thanks alot.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Well CCMs are quite a bit more of a "flatter" skate. (I am a CCM/RBK user)

If you look at that holders you can see the difference.

Either get them profiled or take a look at getting the CCM holders and steel in. Or else you are going to have a really long adjustment period.

I tried to switch to the NB190. I tried them for two ice times and ended up going with the RBK 9Ks instead. I kept falling over my own feet and my transition game SUCKED. I would lose an edge and carreen off into the corner. The fit was great, me using them, not so much.

The RBKs are almost identical to the CCM TACKS that I was using before and the adjustment time was only one practice.

Sounds like you had a problem with the longer holder and runner the One90's use. I've seen great skaters stumble around in them until they get used to them.

I would hold off on putting CCM holders on. Just have them profiled.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
A year ago I swiched over to CCM Tacks. And there was a learning curve, it took me quite a while to get comfortable in them but it definately was worth the wait. Just hand in there and you'll get the feel for the new skates.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
The profile on the blades are different. If it doesn't work itself out you'll need to get them profiled.

I believe the bauers are a negative lean and the ccms are neutral. So it might feel as though you're on your heels.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Well good news, it wasn't the skates that were making my experience horrible it was the sharpening. I went to the skate shop that I usually go to, not where I bought the skates, and had them sharpen them. Went to public skate after that and they are great. Granted, there is a learning curve I'll have to get used to. I'm not really confident in them yet, but though it's awkward it's 10000 times better than my last time out on them.

I'm curious as to why the original experience was so bad. I had to put a huge amount of force to be able to get the blade to start to turn a little (like, when you know the blade has caught so you can start your stop). Trying to pivot from forwards to backwards skating was basically impossible. I don't know if they were never sharpened (though I would think never sharpening them would have the opposite effect and be really slippery), or if the guy that sharpened them sharpened them way to much? I can't imagine anyone would sharpen a skate the way they were intentionally. I'm just curious to prevent this from happening again, it was a miserable experience. Thanks all.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I can't relate. Just got a pair ot 892 Tacks and wore them Friday for the first time and man I was like whoahhh! But once I got a few minutes in they felt a little better,but playing later took a little time. I just got the t blades and had a hard time changing direction,but I'm hoping it's from the stiffness of the new boot compared to my cheaper pair I had before.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Well good news, it wasn't the skates that were making my experience horrible it was the sharpening. I went to the skate shop that I usually go to, not where I bought the skates, and had them sharpen them. Went to public skate after that and they are great. Granted, there is a learning curve I'll have to get used to. I'm not really confident in them yet, but though it's awkward it's 10000 times better than my last time out on them.

I'm curious as to why the original experience was so bad. I had to put a huge amount of force to be able to get the blade to start to turn a little (like, when you know the blade has caught so you can start your stop). Trying to pivot from forwards to backwards skating was basically impossible. I don't know if they were never sharpened (though I would think never sharpening them would have the opposite effect and be really slippery), or if the guy that sharpened them sharpened them way to much? I can't imagine anyone would sharpen a skate the way they were intentionally. I'm just curious to prevent this from happening again, it was a miserable experience. Thanks all.

Too sharp...try and remain consistant with the grind and the same person sharpening. I usually also run my blades on the bench a couple times to dull it a little after I get them sharpened.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Too sharp...try and remain consistant with the grind and the same person sharpening. I usually also run my blades on the bench a couple times to dull it a little after I get them sharpened.

I'm going to continue going to the same skate shop I usually go to. It's usually different guys working but when I would get my old skates sharpened there, they always seem to feel the same no matter who did them. I'll ask them what the grind is next time I'm there. What do you mean by dul them on the bench? Thanks for the tips, sc.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I rub the skates on the bench, sorta like taking a knife and trying to cut the bench in half. It dulls it so it feels a little more 'broken-in' for me...so it won't feel too sharp and I can't stop or turn.

Also keep in mind you might have nicer steel on these skates and it'll hold an edge better so it does feel a little sharper. I don't sharpen my skates as much any more cause of that.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
Went out and played in them today to try and break them in more, but I'm paying for it now. I have an absolute giant blister on my foot so I'm going to take a week or so off until it heals. I have a question though, the skates are painful at the smallest toe, and the toe is a little bruised and maybe a bit swollen, this will go away with break in, correct? I don't have a wide foot.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
blisters are from rubbing against the skin, that means you have open space in the skate in that area. If you dont want to get the baked try playing around with socks, maybe tighten your laces.

Marns

Jul 31, 2006
Toronto, ON
www.thestretchpass.com
I play inline, and am looking at getting RBK 6Ks. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me (before asking the shop people) if they can be baked?

Also, if anyone else uses these, what do you think of them? Cheers.

ak10r

Dec 30, 2006
Fairbanks Alaska
I have read that they can be baked but make sure you take the wheels off first. Also if they are pumps, make sure they ARE NOT inflated when you bake them. I'm sure the folks at the store will help.

The other thing I have read where a error can happen, when you put them on (when they are hot) do not move around for about 15-20 minutes. Some folks have been told to get up and walk around when the skates are cooling.

Good luck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad