Adelson family purchasing significant stake in Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban to remain controlling owner

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Unusual arrangement for sure having Cuban retain control of “basketball operations”.

Have to expect there are all sorts of who can buyout who clauses in the sale if things go poorly in the future.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Dallas market is only worth the same as Milwaukee? $500 mill less than Phoenix? And a couple of years after the bucks sale? Hmmmm. Interesting.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Only a matter of time before that family does something crazy that gets the Mavs into a PR snafu.

And yeah, zero chance that they move outside the market. I get the fascination with Las Vegas, but that's a huge step down in market size and wealth.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Dallas market is only worth the same as Milwaukee? $500 mill less than Phoenix? And a couple of years after the bucks sale? Hmmmm. Interesting.
In the article linked in the OP, it talks about him selling at a lower valuation to keep control of basketball operations.

It also mentions that Forbes had valued the Mavs at $4.5B.

Reactions: Voight and 93LEAFS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In the article linked in the OP, it talks about him selling at a lower valuation to keep control of basketball operations.

It also mentions that Forbes had valued the Mavs at $4.5B.
Forbes also ranks Dallas at #7 and Phoenix at #11.

So, that would make sense that maintaining control costs Mark a good chunk of money, but not like he's going to miss however many hundreds of millions he gave for control of the Mavs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It sounds like the reverse of the Ratcliff/Glazier deal for Man Utd. Ratcliff paid a premium so he could control a ton of the club but only has a minority share. Whereas Adleson paid an undervalued amount but Cuban keeps control. To be honest, MLSE was a bit like this under the teachers.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Formality really. Adelsons have mega bucks and are well connected.

I guess they figured with guys like Bron & Shaq talking about wanting to be involved with a Vegas expansion team they weren't sure if they could be apart of that / have majority control.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Formality really. Adelsons have mega bucks and are well connected.

I guess they figured with guys like Bron & Shaq talking about wanting to be involved with a Vegas expansion team they weren't sure if they could be apart of that / have majority control.

At this point, I'd be shocked if the Vegas franchise doesn't go to FSG/LeBron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad