Add Mike Ribeiro to the list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Sooner or later, its going to be a respected veteran and Goodenow will look like an even bigger moron than he looks like already.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
puck you said:
Sooner or later, its going to be a respected veteran and Goodenow will look like an even bigger moron than he looks like already.

Ribeiro's statement isn't all that different from Roenick's "Let's have a cap of $6 M for individual contracts" proposal. Roenick didn't retract his statement.

I.am.ca

What the NHLPA needs for a kick in the ass is guys like Sakic, Fedorov, Jagr, Forsberg to come out and say that there should be cap because look at Jagr for example. Because of his hefty contract, he couldn't get traded to a contending team. No one wanted to pick up his 10+ mill contract because most teams just can't afford to keep a player with that kind of contract on their payroll.

Pittsburgh, Washington, and a few other teams should be a prime example of how the market is screwing over the teams that just can't afford to pay someone 9 or 10 million.

From recent memory, the smartest thing an NHL player has done with a contract is Paul Kariya, he signed a contract i think it was for 1 or 2 million, i know it was under 3mill. But he signed it to join a contending team and to play with his good friend Selanne. So some stars are willing to take a cut (not like 2 or 3 mill is peanuts, its a heck of a lot of money).

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
I.am.ca said:
From recent memory, the smartest thing an NHL player has done with a contract is Paul Kariya, he signed a contract i think it was for 1 or 2 million, i know it was under 3mill. But he signed it to join a contending team and to play with his good friend Selanne. So some stars are willing to take a cut (not like 2 or 3 mill is peanuts, its a heck of a lot of money).

He signed a 1 year deal, under the league average, so that he'd be a UFA again after the season.

Chances were he wasn't going to get a long term deal from a contending team, so he did the next best thing.

Come his next contract talks, he'll be looking for big money again.

I.am.ca

Ian Lapperiere could have signed a big contract, but he took a 1.3/yr contract. Damphousse sure as hell could have signed a contract that would have paid him more than the 2mill/yr he is due to get.

I was looking at the Teams top players salaries...the cap should be set at 8mill for a star player.

Most are at either 6 or 8, should never go over 8mill for a superstar player.

Something also had to be done about guys that have a great year on the last year of their contract, sign a big deal and disappear like Turgeon for example and Holik, these guys signed huge contracts (kaspy also, 4mill? he should get half that) and have not really benefitted their teams.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Some of the players this past summer had to sign more reasonable deals because of all the CBA talks, but I also think that fiscal resposibility has hit the GM's and the owners... they created it, and are now trying to fix it... The days of Yashin,or Holik type deals are DONE, and they should be!!! As for Ribeiro, he is just saying what most guys are thinking, but are too scared to say anything fearing Knob Goodenow, or Tony Soprano paying them a visit...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It's funny, in an interview Chelios chided Bettman for putting a gag order on owners, however when a player speaks out in dissent of the no cap or die possition of Goodnow, they retract it all a few days later.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I.am.ca said:

And tons of people jumped all over him over that, whining about how its not fair and lack of loyalty and so on. The general reaction to the Kariya situation is what makes me think NHL fans arn't ready to deal with the consequences of a capped, NFL-style system. What they really want, even if they won't admit it, is basically the equivalent of the old reserve clause slavery system in baseball: players salaries are capped, and the owners can renew their contracts indefinitely.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Shock more than anything....

Epsilon said:
And tons of people jumped all over him over that, whining about how its not fair and lack of loyalty and so on. The general reaction to the Kariya situation is what makes me think NHL fans arn't ready to deal with the consequences of a capped, NFL-style system. What they really want, even if they won't admit it, is basically the equivalent of the old reserve clause slavery system in baseball: players salaries are capped, and the owners can renew their contracts indefinitely.

I think you're wrong on this. If NHL fans knew that the NFL cap style was coming in, they would accept the Kariya situation, just like the NFL fans do with their team loses key guys due to contracts. It just takes time to accept change and this isolated signing doesn't prove anything one way or another. Was the Kariya signing a start of a trend? Nope....

The Kariya thing was shocking to fans because he didn't go for more money or anything close to what the Ducks would have had to qualify him at or what they were looking to sign him for, in the 6 to 7 million per season range. He signed for 1.2 million, which given what the Ducks had offered him, appeared that he was sticking it to his former team. If the Ducks had qualified him, would he have opted not to sign the QO and not pocket 10 million last season? Probably not. But to jump to a conference rival for 12% of the contract the Ducks had paid him over the past season left a bad taste in mouths of NHL fans. He would play for the Ducks for 10 million, but the Avs for 1.2 million.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Street Hawk said:
I think you're wrong on this. If NHL fans knew that the NFL cap style was coming in, they would accept the Kariya situation, just like the NFL fans do with their team loses key guys due to contracts. It just takes time to accept change and this isolated signing doesn't prove anything one way or another. Was the Kariya signing a start of a trend? Nope....

The Kariya thing was shocking to fans because he didn't go for more money or anything close to what the Ducks would have had to qualify him at or what they were looking to sign him for, in the 6 to 7 million per season range. He signed for 1.2 million, which given what the Ducks had offered him, appeared that he was sticking it to his former team. If the Ducks had qualified him, would he have opted not to sign the QO and not pocket 10 million last season? Probably not. But to jump to a conference rival for 12% of the contract the Ducks had paid him over the past season left a bad taste in mouths of NHL fans. He would play for the Ducks for 10 million, but the Avs for 1.2 million.

I agree it takes time for the adjustment, but I don't know if it would be a "yes we agree with this" or a begrudging acceptance because they can't do a damn thing about it.

As for Kariya, I don't think he would've done the $1.2 M one year contract if the labour dispute wasn't on the horizon. He did this because he wanted a shot at the Cup before the lockout came, and would guarantee himself UFA status whenever the lockout ended. But that's just my opinion.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
ehc73 said:
I agree it takes time for the adjustment, but I don't know if it would be a "yes we agree with this" or a begrudging acceptance because they can't do a damn thing about it.

As for Kariya, I don't think he would've done the $1.2 M one year contract if the labour dispute wasn't on the horizon. He did this because he wanted a shot at the Cup before the lockout came, and would guarantee himself UFA status whenever the lockout ended. But that's just my opinion.
No doubt about it, Kariya was self serving here, and he had already made a ridiculous amount of money in his career, but it was nice to see a player take alot less $$$ to be on a Cup contender...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One by one the players are beginning to break down. Eventually the pressure is going to get to everyone, but you can't control the opinions of 700 NHL players.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I just listened to an interview with Mike Commodore (Flames) and he said he'd play under a cap, but it has to be a realistic one, not $30 million, like what the NHL is offering. Thats what I want to hear from more players.

He also said he's not scared of the slap on the wrist he might get from the PA, because it cant be any worse than the slashes on the wrists he's getting right now in the AHL.

Its nice to see that some people just want to play hockey and dont care about the PA ego. If youre an NHler and playing in the minors or Europe, be a man and say "I'd play under a cap, I just want to play hockey" because obviously thats the case.

Kravitch

Did he also mentioned how much he hated that damned diving penalty rule?

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
One by one the players are beginning to break down. Eventually the pressure is going to get to everyone, but you can't control the opinions of 700 NHL players.

I really wonder how the NHLPA bigshots tell players to retract their comments? Does Bob Goodenow or Ted Saskin threaten the player to take back his comments, or do other players call up Mike Ribeiro and harrass him?

You have to wonder who the NHLPA is trying to fool in making people retract their statements. I really do think that a retraction in itself is also a bad PR move, as my opinion of the Bob Goodenow and his "union" is steadily going downhill. They are easily losing the PR battle, and it will be interesting to see how long the union will last.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
The thing that really chapped Duck fan's hides over Kariya was the fact that he wanted to go play for a "cup contender." If Kariya would've taken 1.2 with the Ducks, they could've signed Selanne and Oates. If Selanne was coming on the cheap, they could've gotten those two plus Fedorov. That's what really pissed us off.. that and Captain Paul would bolt on the fans who supported him for years, including during his holdout right after the '96-'97 season that coupling with the Ron Wilson debacle sent the franchise into a talespin it never recovered from until last year.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Tricolore#20 said:
I really wonder how the NHLPA bigshots tell players to retract their comments? Does Bob Goodenow or Ted Saskin threaten the player to take back his comments, or do other players call up Mike Ribeiro and harrass him?

You have to wonder who the NHLPA is trying to fool in making people retract their statements. I really do think that a retraction in itself is also a bad PR move, as my opinion of the Bob Goodenow and his "union" is steadily going downhill. They are easily losing the PR battle, and it will be interesting to see how long the union will last.

The PA knows its not easy. They have different constituents. They have to represent the best players and their best long term interests too.

I think its is a very simple matter of explaining their situation and they all seem to come to see it.

Its not easy. No one is saying its easy. The whole intent of the owners now is to bring out this split in them. Ribs, Ference, Commodore, their comments and perspectives are all very valid and understandable from their perspective. And like all players they want to play. It is hard on these guys, they are being asked to make sacrifices when they are on the fringes of the payscale. I think everyone understands and respects their point of view. But some times you have to make sacrifices for the greater good. RIght now they have to be team players because there are bigger team goals at stake. These guys may not benefit from it personally which makes their reluctance understandable. But they wouldnt even have the salaries they do now if someone before them didnt do it. And they certainly will have lower salaries if they succumb to the owners extortion. If they just give in they can go back to play. Its the easy way out.

It is a tough choice. Its not an easy decision for them to come too, and some players arent going to benefit or agree. But the majority will.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Vishinator05 said:
The thing that really chapped Duck fan's hides over Kariya was the fact that he wanted to go play for a "cup contender." If Kariya would've taken 1.2 with the Ducks, they could've signed Selanne and Oates. If Selanne was coming on the cheap, they could've gotten those two plus Fedorov. That's what really pissed us off.. that and Captain Paul would bolt on the fans who supported him for years, including during his holdout right after the '96-'97 season that coupling with the Ron Wilson debacle sent the franchise into a talespin it never recovered from until last year.

Ducks fans anger is certainly understandable. But thats what players do with free agency. Make the choice where they want to play. Lowering the age of free agency will ensure that happens sooner in their careers. Really what it sounds like you are saying is that you want to prevent players from getting free agency so they can never leave you unless you decide you are done with them.

If there is a cap and and a lowered age of free agency, would you really expect players to not make this decision anymore?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
thinkwild said:
But some times you have to make sacrifices for the greater good.

So are you saying that fringe guys like Mike Commodore should feel good about taking the bullet so that the Peter Forsbergs of the world can continue to make 10 million+ per year instead of 6 million/year, that him sacrificing what could likely be his best chance at making NHL-level money so that the upper 10% of the 'union' can live in the way that they are accustomed? When Ted Saskins comes on national TV and essentially states that guys like Commodore aren't what's important in this negotiation, if I'm Mike I'm thinking it sure sounds similar to the famous John J. McMullen "To hell with the small markets, that's not what this is about..." quote back from the War of '94...except in this case I'm the small market.

If I'm Mike I'm asking myself "Why the HELL am I paying union dues again?"

If you're not saying that, well it sure sounds like it my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad