Adam Silver says NBA's 2021 season unlikely to stop for Tokyo Olympics

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Friday night it is unlikely the league will take a break next summer for the Olympic Games, a decision that could dramatically affect the tournament if it is able to be played.
"We'll consider it. I think it's unlikely, at the end of the day, that, if we start late, we would stop for the Olympics," Silver said in an interview with NBA TV inside the league's bubble at Walt Disney World Resort. "Because, as you know, it's not just a function of stopping for the period in which they are competing over in Tokyo. But they require training camp, and then they require rest afterwards."
Silver's remarks came before Game 2 of the NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and Los Angeles Lakers.
Because of the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic -- which resulted in the NBA having a four-month break in the middle of its schedule and the Finals taking place during what typically is the league's preseason -- next season is unlikely to begin until January, at the earliest. As a result, there is almost no way that, if the NBA plays its full season, it will be able to avoid conflicting with the Olympics, which are scheduled to take place in Tokyo from July 23 to Aug. 8, after they were postponed for a year.

Silver: Unlikely we'd stop '21 season for Olympics

Not surprisingly NBA is looking to skip next Summer Olympics.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah, I don’t see anyway the NBA could attempt a full season and playoffs, or something close to that, while still participating in the Olympics.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Has he been hanging out with Bettman recently :sarcasm:

Would certainly suck for Olympic Basketball. Unlike the NHL, basically all the top players from every country play in NA. So Slovenia is screwed without Doncic, Greece without Giannis etc.

Also sucks for a guy like Curry. Last shot at a Gold Medal and looks like that won’t be happening.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The NBA should just cancel 20-21. There has to be some consequence for playing during a non-traditional timeframe. I'm sure the players will steer the league in that direction so they can participate in the Olympics.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
In fact, if I were the league's TV partners, I'd push the league towards canceling the season. There is no way in Hell that ESPN or TNT would be comfortable airing NBA games going up against the Olympics.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Yeah, I don’t see anyway the NBA could attempt a full season and playoffs, or something close to that, while still participating in the Olympics.

Assuming a start sometime in early January, regular season should be done by the time Olympics begin with some spare time for training camp. Eliminated players could technically opt to play.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

Would certainly suck for Olympic Basketball. Unlike the NHL, basically all the top players from every country play in NA. So Slovenia is screwed without Doncic, Greece without Giannis etc.

Also sucks for a guy like Curry. Last shot at a Gold Medal and looks like that won’t be happening.

Much like hockey though, it would mean a much more even playing field. The US has dominated since the NBA started going; could see a run like Germany did in 2018.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Much like hockey though, it would mean a much more even playing field. The US has dominated since the NBA started going; could see a run like Germany did in 2018.

It could, but most other teams best players are in the NBA. I.E. Dragic, Gobert, Giannis, Doncic, Porzingis, Murray, Simmons etc. In hockey at least you had a clear 2nd best league in the world (KHL) that had a lot of good players from other countries.

Mind you USA will probably still dominate with the college kids.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
The NBA should just cancel 20-21. There has to be some consequence for playing during a non-traditional timeframe. I'm sure the players will steer the league in that direction so they can participate in the Olympics.

No, the players won't. Go read up on how USA Basketball has had to come up with a bunch of different ways to try to get players to commit. The players don't want to play in the Olympics nearly as much as other people want them to.

Not to mention, even though it's less likely than hockey, the owners would have to deal with allowing their players be used for the IOC to make money, and possibly get injured, with no compensation to them.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

you're sure the players will steer the league into not paying them next year?

Reactions: nofehr

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
No, the players won't. Go read up on how USA Basketball has had to come up with a bunch of different ways to try to get players to commit. The players don't want to play in the Olympics nearly as much as other people want them to.

Not to mention, even though it's less likely than hockey, the owners would have to deal with allowing their players be used for the IOC to make money, and possibly get injured, with no compensation to them.

Speaking of NBA insurance and all other related costs, how was this dealt with at past Olympics?

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston

And this is during the off-season. When it becomes a choice between their paychecks or anything else, the choice is pretty obvious. This, I might add, is not meant as criticism.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

Silver is gambling that the Olympics won't take place.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It could, but most other teams best players are in the NBA. I.E. Dragic, Gobert, Giannis, Doncic, Porzingis, Murray, Simmons etc. In hockey at least you had a clear 2nd best league in the world (KHL) that had a lot of good players from other countries.

Mind you USA will probably still dominate with the college kids.

I don't think so. Whoever has the most European based professionals would win gold if the NBA doesn't participate. The U.S. is still on top but the gap isn't as wide as it used to be.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
I don't think so. Whoever has the most European based professionals would win gold if the NBA doesn't participate. The U.S. is still on top but the gap isn't as wide as it used to be.

Agreed. I think the best chance would be for an established college team to go, but then you have guys who might be high draft picks not wanting to risk blowing a knee.

They weren't sending their absolute best in the early 00s, and started losing at world level. This would bring things back to those times, and then some.

And for those old enough to remember, this is why the Dream Team was a good thing. The first few years were absolute routs, but look where the rest of the world is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad