Adam Pineault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Well in fairness to Pineault he was a star on the US NTDP and entered college a little bit to early, he finished HS at 17 and started at BC a year earlier than most Freshman.

I think his production on the NTDP and his raw potential are what will get him picked in the 1st round, look for him to have a big year next season in the Q.

db23

Pineault is the most underrated draft prospect on the board. I could see the Habs taking him at #18 in the first round if he is still there.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
db23 said:
Pineault is the most underrated draft prospect on the board. I could see the Habs taking him at #18 in the first round if he is still there.

anyone who gets adam whether its 15th overall or 50th will have gotten a steal! People will look back on this past year and laugh, because he has just got way too much talent to have gotten the amount of ice time he did!

Last edited:

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
db23 said:

The Habs won,t take him at 18th. If they want him, they will trade down and then draft him but not at 18th. This is way to high for the season he just have.

I know the size and skill package are there but the stats aren't and the scouts take that in consideration.

db23

Freaky Habs Fan said:
The Habs won,t take him at 18th. If they want him, they will trade down and then draft him but not at 18th. This is way to high for the season he just have.

I know the size and skill package are there but the stats aren't and the scouts take that in consideration.

There was talk that the Habs wanted to move up into the first round last season to draft Brian Boyle the big right shooting forward who was Pineault's teammate at B.C.
Pineault had as about the same point total as Boyle who was also a freshman, and Adam is a year and a half younger. I think that Boyle went around 20th overall last year, so Pineault should go at least that high.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
db23 said:
There was talk that the Habs wanted to move up into the first round last season to draft Brian Boyle the big right shooting forward who was Pineault's teammate at B.C.
Pineault had as about the same point total as Boyle who was also a freshman, and Adam is a year and a half younger. I think that Boyle went around 20th overall last year, so Pineault should go at least that high.

Reason Boyle went so high was because he is huge.

Also he was drafted out of St-Sebastien not BC

Sammy*

La-La-Laprise said:
Reason Boyle went so high was because he is huge.

Also he was drafted out of St-Sebastien not BC
Dont you know there is a perfect correlation between points, birthdate & where one goes in the draft in any particular year? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
db23 said:

hey, i never heard anyone wanting to move up to nab boyle. do you know waht type of package they were offering or why they wanted to get him? also, what pick did they have did they think was too low to pick up boyle?

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Pineault is a strange case. For years observers have raved about his skill and potential, but he just has never come together. He is still young and has a lot
of time to develop.

However, I saw him play numerous times with the NTDP and some games with BC. Honestly, he never impressed me with the NTDP. His skills didn't really stand out over any other player. To compare, I thought Pat Eaves at the time was a much better player and would have more of an impact at the NCAA level.

The games I saw him play for BC, he just didn't work hard on the ice. He didn't hustle for loose pucks, he didn't finish checks, he was a non-factor.

Some say that Pineault has too much talent to have gotten so little ice time with BC, but don't they kind of go hand in hand? For example, Maine certainly had no problems getting ice time for freshman Paul Kariya. Talented players force themselves to get playing time by being a far better option for the coaches to play.

So I wonder how much of Pineault's reputation is just hype. What I've seen just doesn't back it up. And his age isn't really an excuse. Michigan has brought in 17 year-old players who did make an immediate impact with their talent, Mike Cammalleri and Al Montoya. AJ Thelen at Michigan State is another.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
PMP5030 said:
Pineault is a strange case. For years observers have raved about his skill and potential, but he just has never come together. He is still young and has a lot
of time to develop.

However, I saw him play numerous times with the NTDP and some games with BC. Honestly, he never impressed me with the NTDP. His skills didn't really stand out over any other player. To compare, I thought Pat Eaves at the time was a much better player and would have more of an impact at the NCAA level.

The games I saw him play for BC, he just didn't work hard on the ice. He didn't hustle for loose pucks, he didn't finish checks, he was a non-factor.

Some say that Pineault has too much talent to have gotten so little ice time with BC, but don't they kind of go hand in hand? For example, Maine certainly had no problems getting ice time for freshman Paul Kariya. Talented players force themselves to get playing time by being a far better option for the coaches to play.

So I wonder how much of Pineault's reputation is just hype. What I've seen just doesn't back it up. And his age isn't really an excuse. Michigan has brought in 17 year-old players who did make an immediate impact with their talent, Mike Cammalleri and Al Montoya. AJ Thelen at Michigan State is another.

Fair criticisms, although it should be noted that BC had a very deep team this past season and there was little a chance a freshman was going to get much in the way of ice time.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
PMP5030 said:
of time to develop.

I've seen a number of games with Pineault as Center and he shined. This year he was a LW ( he shoots right) on a deep team with a linemate (Boyle) who wouldn't pass the puck. Pineaults strength lies in his ability to pick up lose pucks in front of the net, win face-offs 90% of the time, a bullit of a shot and he passes with great accuracy.
What I could see, he wasn't in the position to use his talent to the best of his ability.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Sammy said:
Dont you know there is a perfect correlation between points, birthdate & where one goes in the draft in any particular year? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Well, most of a time, when a player don't score as much as he is suppose to, that mean he didn't progress enough. I think this is the case of Pineault.

***As for the Habs and Boyle in the last draft, there's was talk between the two team...The Habs wanted to trade Brisebois for the LA pick in order to draft Boyle...

Sammy*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
Well, most of a time, when a player don't score as much as he is suppose to, that mean he didn't progress enough. I think this is the case of Pineault.

***As for the Habs and Boyle in the last draft, there's was talk between the two team...The Habs wanted to trade Brisebois for the LA pick in order to draft Boyle...
How much is a player "supposed" to score depends entirely on the player. Its idiotic to say because 2 players are the same age at the time their respective draft is held, the fact one gets more/less points than the other has is in any material way determinative where they should get drafted relative to the other in another draft.
Their is so much more that goes into where one gets drafted its unbelievable & to not recognize it frankly exposes ones (in this case db's) ignorance.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
PMP5030 said:
of time to develop.

When you were comparing Patrick Eaves to Adam Pineault, Pineault was 2 years younger. Pineault was the only underager on the NTDP. Pineault doesn't turn 18 until the end of this month. He was the 2nd highest scorer on the u18 team last year playing RW, which is not his position. He is a RC. Last October he was in the top 10 for the up coming draft. The combo of a very deep team, all freshmen line, rotating who sits out among the freshmen, playing LW and at the end no injuries and a coach who plays his upper-classmen before anyone else hurt all the freshmen at BC. The all freshmen line was not a favorite among many fans who believed the freshmen should have been with experienced play-makers.

db23

penkil2 said:
When you were comparing Patrick Eaves to Adam Pineault, Pineault was 2 years younger. Pineault was the only underager on the NTDP. Pineault doesn't turn 18 until the end of this month. He was the 2nd highest scorer on the u18 team last year playing RW, which is not his position. He is a RC. Last October he was in the top 10 for the up coming draft. The combo of a very deep team, all freshmen line, rotating who sits out among the freshmen, playing LW and at the end no injuries and a coach who plays his upper-classmen before anyone else hurt all the freshmen at BC. The all freshmen line was not a favorite among many fans who believed the freshmen should have been with experienced play-makers.
Absolutely. This thread is about "Why is Adam rated so high?", but he is rated 21st among North American players which means he would be expected to go somewhere in the middle of the second round. He is a much better player than that.
He is the most underrated player in the draft along with A.J. Thelen and T.J. Hensick.

Adam was the second highest scorer on the U18 team last year while he was still eligible for the U17 team. He averaged nearly 2 points per game with the U17s in limited action. For all those small minds that can't see the relevence of comparing Boyle's numbers with B.C. to Pineault's this season, I can't be bothered to elucidate the obvious over and over for the hard of comprehending. Go back to your dark little worlds.

Sammy*

db23 said:
Absolutely. This thread is about "Why is Adam rated so high?", but he is rated 21st among North American players which means he would be expected to go somewhere in the middle of the second round. He is a much better player than that.
He is the most underrated player in the draft along with A.J. Thelen and T.J. Hensick.

Adam was the second highest scorer on the U18 team last year while he was still eligible for the U17 team. He averaged nearly 2 points per game with the U17s in limited action. For all those small minds that can't see the relevence of comparing Boyle's numbers with B.C. to Pineault's this season, I can't be bothered to elucidate the obvious over and over for the hard of comprehending. Go back to your dark little worlds.
Does a massive difference in size ever play into your dark little world? Does what a players skill set & how scouts project them matter? Why is it that you look at stats alone to determine where a guy gets drafted?

Last edited by a moderator:

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
penkil2 said:
When you were comparing Patrick Eaves to Adam Pineault, Pineault was 2 years younger. Pineault was the only underager on the NTDP. Pineault doesn't turn 18 until the end of this month.

I understand that, which is why I addressed the age issue at the end of my original post. My point was that players with above average-talent tend to make you notice them in some way, whether it be with a nice shot, a slick move with the puck, a burst of speed, or whatever. Something that makes you say to yourself, "Wow". With younger players, of course results may be more inconsistant, but usually if a player has elite talent there will be moments where it will shine through. I never saw that in any of the games I've seen Pineault play. Therefore I think a lot of his reputation is just hype. All JMO, of course.

And again, lack of playing time is not really a reason, IMO. To make an extreme example, I'm sure BC would have found playing time for a 17 year-old Gretzky. Truly talented players force you to play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->