Adam Pineault....Steal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

I've been very very impressed with the play of Adam Pineault. Really has shown why he was once considered a likely top 10 pick for the 2004 draft. Pineault has great acceleration, his top speed is good and he uses it all well...just a very good skater for his size...He is a tough customer, loves to bang down low, likes to keep his legs moving and really works hard. I like his offensive awareness and defensive awareness as well....just really looks good in all areas. Looks like a steal for Columbus.

Edit: I would also like to add he has looked very competitive, somthing that really disapointed me last year.

What do you guys think about him?

Last edited:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
well his stock went down before the draft because he struggled in NCAA...now he is finding himself in the Q so he may yet be a steal.

I think he will be a good second liner for Columbus in a few years.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
McDonald19 said:
well his stock went down before the draft because he struggled in NCAA...now he is finding himself in the Q so he may yet be a steal.

he never really strugled in NCAA, he was only used maybe 4 min to 5 min a game when he wasn't scartched????? what they were thinking is beyond me while they were doing this.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
La-La-Laprise said:
He looked great tonight against Cape-Breton..was all over the place, point on the PP, great speed, strong on the puck.

yeah I really thought he was great. He was everywhere, Coloumbas has really got a gem here imo as he has great potential. This is the 2nd steal for the Jackets as Fritsche was also a steal as well IMO, but I think Pineault looks a bit better on the offensive side than Danny.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Boston College's coach, Jerry York, has never had a problem playing youth if they were good enough to play. Imo, there are 3 possible reasons for Pineault not playing as much as he should when he was at BC. One, he simply didn't work hard enough in practice to warrant more ice time. Two, he wasn't as impressive as players like Ben and Patrick Eaves, or some of their other great players so he was bumped down to lower line duties. Three, some kind of attitude problem or maybe he just didn't see eye to eye with Jerry York. Maybe it was some combination of these issues. All we can do is speculate really. Whatever the case was, BC lost a great player and he would have been a star there maybe as early as this year. Oh well, now he'll put up good numbers in junior.

FlyersProspect2

Jun 14, 2004
Chicopee, Ma
I lived in the city close to where Pinnault was born (Holyoke). So seeing him succeed would be cool. Of course hes not going to be the only one from Western Mass to succeed, The NHL can't wait for me :D

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
i played against him this summer, fantastic player.. hes got a cannon for a shot, our goalie said everytime the kid hit him with a shot it hurt...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
littleHossa said:
Has Pineault used the Van Ryn loop in the process?

No. He was drafted at age 18 so (assuming the CBA is constant) he goes back into the draft if not signed in two years. Have to be drafted at 19 to take advantage of that loophole.

I still don't understand why people think the Van Ryn loop is a college thing ... it's a drafted at age 19 thing. Kiel McLeod took advantage of it while playing his whole career in Kelowna. Martin Grenier, Nathan Barrett are CHL guys. Ladd and Picard can take advantage if not signed in two years, etc, etc.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
MS said:
No. He was drafted at age 18 so (assuming the CBA is constant) he goes back into the draft if not signed in two years. Have to be drafted at 19 to take advantage of that loophole.

I still don't understand why people think the Van Ryn loop is a college thing ... it's a drafted at age 19 thing. Kiel McLeod took advantage of it while playing his whole career in Kelowna. Martin Grenier, Nathan Barrett are CHL guys. Ladd and Picard can take advantage if not signed in two years, etc, etc.

I think you have it mixed up.

Players drafted from the NCAA dont need to sign in 2 years like CHL players. So ofen times NCAA players would go to the CHL forcing the NHL team to sign them after 2 years or to re-enter.

Pineault left the NCAA after he was drafted, so he still has 2 QMJHL seasons before needing to sign.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I watched Adam a lot over the years. He is a great player. He wasn't given much of an opportunity to show what he could do at BC. It was very tough to crack that line up as a freshman and even tougher as a 17 year old freshman. He was not ready for college. He was in York's dog house and he wasn't going to get out. He had no choice but to leave, Just like Ben Lovejoy. I'll give BC some credit. When something goes wrong with a recruit they keep it to themselves. You never hear them say anything bad about the situation. You do hear a lot of rumors but they don't come from the program.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
La-La-Laprise said:
I think you have it mixed up.

Players drafted from the NCAA dont need to sign in 2 years like CHL players. So ofen times NCAA players would go to the CHL forcing the NHL team to sign them after 2 years or to re-enter.

Pineault left the NCAA after he was drafted, so he still has 2 QMJHL seasons before needing to sign.

?

CHL players with late birthdates become UFAs, rather than re-entering, if not signed in two years, because they're over the 20 y/o draft cutoff. See Kiel McLeod, Martin Grenier, etc. This is the loophole - that the draft re-entry rules only cover players born between Jan 1 and Sept 16, and who are selected in their first time eligible (this total is probably only about 60% of the NA players drafted prior to the opt-in rules being changed). All the CHL players who don't fall into this criteria become UFAs instead if not signed in two years.

What NCAA guys have done is to use this CHL loophole to their advantage. Because of the now defunct opt-in rules, they were drafted at age 19 as well, same as guys like McLeod. So by going to the CHL, they're also over the 20 y/o draft cutoff when they play their overage season and become UFAs if not signed. The loophole is not an NCAA loophole, it's a CHL loophole available to primarily CHL players. All the NCAA guys are doing is moving to the CHL to take advantage of it.

Pineault was drafted at age 18, and moved to the CHL at age 18. In two years he isn't over the draft cutoff, so he re-enters the draft rather than becoming an UFA. This is *not* a Van Ryn case.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Back on topic, Pineault has played very well in the first few games in the Q. He is really benefitting from playing with Steve Bernier. I'm not saying he's leeching of Bernier, but rather that the two of them work very well together. Pineault looks bigger to me than listed, but more importantly, they have found instant chemistry and both use their creativity well in the individual one on one situations and to find each other. They have often made whoever is playing with them (usually Stephane Goulet or Luke Pelham) more or less obselete.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
MS said:
?

CHL players with late birthdates become UFAs, rather than re-entering, if not signed in two years, because they're over the 20 y/o draft cutoff. See Kiel McLeod, Martin Grenier, etc. This is the loophole - that the draft re-entry rules only cover players born between Jan 1 and Sept 16, and who are selected in their first time eligible (this total is probably only about 60% of the NA players drafted prior to the opt-in rules being changed). All the CHL players who don't fall into this criteria become UFAs instead if not signed in two years.

What NCAA guys have done is to use this CHL loophole to their advantage. Because of the now defunct opt-in rules, they were drafted at age 19 as well, same as guys like McLeod. So by going to the CHL, they're also over the 20 y/o draft cutoff when they play their overage season and become UFAs if not signed. The loophole is not an NCAA loophole, it's a CHL loophole available to primarily CHL players. All the NCAA guys are doing is moving to the CHL to take advantage of it.

Pineault was drafted at age 18, and moved to the CHL at age 18. In two years he isn't over the draft cutoff, so he re-enters the draft rather than becoming an UFA. This is *not* a Van Ryn case.

But that has nothing to do with the Van Ryn Loophole.

The Van Ryn loophole is NCAA NHL drafted players, leaving to the CHL so their NHL team is forced to sign them.

Whether Pineault re-enters or becomes a free agent is irrelevant to NHL teams. They lose his rights either way.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
La-La-Laprise said:
But that has nothing to do with the Van Ryn Loophole.

The Van Ryn loophole is NCAA NHL drafted players, leaving to the CHL so their NHL team is forced to sign them.

Whether Pineault re-enters or becomes a free agent is irrelevant to NHL teams. They lose his rights either way.

But they're leaving because the CBA is way more favourable to CHL players drafted at that age than NCAA players. The loophole is for CHL players. Guys are leaving college to become CHL players so they can take advantage.

It's only known as a college loophole because a couple high-profile college guys (Van Ryn, Clymer, Comrie) came to the CHL to exploit it first. If a high-profile CHL guy like a Brad Stuart had done it first (and he would have been able to had he waited another year to sign), it wouldn't be thought of that way.

As for Pineault, he's definitely not a Van Ryn case. Van Ryn guys were guys who came to the CHL so that they could dangle the threat of UFA to receive better contract offers. Pineault is the opposite ... because he re-enters in 2006 if not signed, his bargaining power is worse, if anything. He has no route whatsoever now to become an UFA.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
MS said:
But they're leaving because the CBA is way more favourable to CHL players drafted at that age than NCAA players. The loophole is for CHL players. Guys are leaving college to become CHL players so they can take advantage.

It's only known as a college loophole because a couple high-profile college guys (Van Ryn, Clymer, Comrie) came to the CHL to exploit it first. If a high-profile CHL guy like a Brad Stuart had done it first (and he would have been able to had he waited another year to sign), it wouldn't be thought of that way.

As for Pineault, he's definitely not a Van Ryn case. Van Ryn guys were guys who came to the CHL so that they could dangle the threat of UFA to receive better contract offers. Pineault is the opposite ... because he re-enters in 2006 if not signed, his bargaining power is worse, if anything. He has no route whatsoever now to become an UFA.

Yeah but they usually leave during their 20 year old season. Like Joey DiPenta and Mike Comrie. They come to the CHL because they know, if they stay in the NCAA they dont need to be signed, but as soon as they play a game in the CHL, they need to be signed 2 years after they were drafted, or in Comrie and DiPenta's case, the following summer.

And I agree, Pinewault isnt a loophole case. He is a "hockey" case. He just wanted a change of scenery.

penkil2

Dec 5, 2003
MI
Visit site
Pineault is a steal!!

After 15 games in the "Q", Pineault appears to live up to his rep. before his arrival at Boston College. Pineault is the current Moncton leader with 8 goals & 8 assist.
Moncton is the current leader in the "Q" after Pineault scored in OT.
Columbus got themselves 2 - 1st rounders in this years draft, even though Pineault was taken at 46, his top prospect skills remain intact at a 1st round level.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
McDonald19 said:

The only struggle he had in college was for ice time...which he didnt get.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
moosefan said:
he never really strugled in NCAA, he was only used maybe 4 min to 5 min a game when he wasn't scartched????? what they were thinking is beyond me while they were doing this.

Thats why its good for me to read the entire thread so I don't repeat others :)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Pineault is definatly a steal. He plays a good physical game with anie scoring touch. He may develop into a Guerin type player. CBus really did well drafting this young stud.

Campino

Jul 26, 2002
Visit site
He has one of the hardest slapshots I've seen in a long time. You would die if he hit you with his one-timer. I've seen him twice already and both times he was by far the best player on the ice by far. He is a complete package. I couldn't find any weaknesses with him. I would expect anywheres from 70-90 points this season from him.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Campino said:
He has one of the hardest slapshots I've seen in a long time. You would die if he hit you with his one-timer. I've seen him twice already and both times he was by far the best player on the ice by far. He is a complete package. I couldn't find any weaknesses with him. I would expect anywheres from 70-90 points this season from him.

Do you really think he'll be one of the top 3 forwards (being pretty generous) from his draft class? Because for him to get to 70-90 he'll probably have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad