Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
dang... if the season was paused a couple of weeks earlier, we might have saved a second round pick

1991 - 2nd round ZiGGY Palffy only played just over 300 games for us
1993- 2nd round Bryan McCabe only played just over 200 games for us

ADD A WHOLE BUNCH OF NOTHIN RIGHT HERE FROM 1994-2003

2004 - 2nd round Blake Comeau played about 260 games for us
2008 - 2nd round Travis Hamonic -
2011 - 2nd round Scott Mayfield.

why did I post all this ? In the last almost 30 years thats it for the 2nd round . A couple few great picks . Palffy and McCabe what might have been oh well. Travis did great and brought back a haul from Calgary. Scotty Mayfield is doing great for us . All in all an Islanders 2nd round pick being lost is no big deal. We mostly fail at drafting . My favorite 2nd round pick was Dimitri Chernykh in 2003. You know after we passed on Parise in round 1 we selected Dimitri in round 2 with the pick just ahead of Shea Weber. LGI

scott99

May 13, 2005
You can really see how the defense seemed to break down once Pelech got injured. He’s like a secret weapon, just makes everyone look better, but he does it so smoothly and quietly. I’m not going to base the collapse on just losing him, losing Cizikas and Clutterbuck as well, hurt our overall team defense. Losing those 3 guys really hurt. To have all 3 back healthy, and add in Pageau, and I think we will be back to the defensive dynamo we had last season. Should be interesting to see how it plays out vs Fla.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
1991 - 2nd round ZiGGY Palffy only played just over 300 games for us
1993- 2nd round Bryan McCabe only played just over 200 games for us

ADD A WHOLE BUNCH OF NOTHIN RIGHT HERE FROM 1994-2003

2004 - 2nd round Blake Comeau played about 260 games for us
2008 - 2nd round Travis Hamonic -
2011 - 2nd round Scott Mayfield.

why did I post all this ? In the last almost 30 years thats it for the 2nd round . A couple few great picks . Palffy and McCabe what might have been oh well. Travis did great and brought back a haul from Calgary. Scotty Mayfield is doing great for us . All in all an Islanders 2nd round pick being lost is no big deal. We mostly fail at drafting . My favorite 2nd round pick was Dimitri Chernykh in 2003. You know after we passed on Parise in round 1 we selected Dimitri in round 2 with the pick just ahead of Shea Weber. LGI

I hear you - hopefully we'll get some games out of Wilde, Salo, or Bolduc in a couple of years.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Isles are going to have to make a decision on Pelech after the 20-21 season with his contract being up. He has certainly showed his value to the team, he's the perfect partner for Pulock too. To me, he is a must sign at hopefully a reasonable number.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The Isles are going to have to make a decision on Pelech after the 20-21 season with his contract being up. He has certainly showed his value to the team, he's the perfect partner for Pulock too. To me, he is a must sign at hopefully a reasonable number.

Defensively speaking Pelech is worthy of being a top pairing guy. Offensively he is not a top pairing player, but he needs to be resigned. He is a fantastic player and in my opinion the best defensive player we have on this team.

Amazing to think this was Adam Pelech before Trotz arrived.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Defensively speaking Pelech is worthy of being a top pairing guy. Offensively he is not a top pairing player, but he needs to be resigned. He is a fantastic player and in my opinion the best defensive player we have on this team.

I watched a lot of Pelech with the Sound Tigers and you could see the potential in him after his first season.

When Pulock got hurt for a stretch, they had Pelech (and even Mayfield) transitioning the puck up ice a lot more and seemed to give him the freedom to pinch in whenever he wanted. Unfortunately that tends to work out better in the AHL than at the NHL level when you do it indiscriminately.

I blame a lot of his bad pinches on what he learned, or didn't learn, with the Sound Tigers. I am not sure if that was Thompson's doing or just the system Snow wanted in place? I assume because Lou kept Thompson around, it was more Snow's call on how to develop the prospects.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

That is just horrifying to see all in one reel. I wish there were more reels like that for other players though, I like low-lights to help balance things out.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I hear you - hopefully we'll get some games out of Wilde, Salo, or Bolduc in a couple of years.

I hope so too. They could also be like the Katic, Ness, and Donovan trio we had hopes for 8-10 years ago... remember? That’s when we let Spurgeon walk without a qualifying offer because of contract totals and these 3 studs . LGI

Reactions: impaaaaaact

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Absolutely good coaching is a difference maker. Pat Burns was another master at turning D men around. Sometimes its just showing trust in a player and giving them a definitive role. I was here posting when the Isles were the worst Defensive team the year before Trotz took over, and it was just a mess defensively. At times fun to watch because it was high event at both ends, but it does bring up a great point, a 60 point player on the Isles is probably a 70 point player on most teams. No inflated stats on this team, except goaltending. ;) enter Sorokin, his numbers could be scary good playing behind Pelech.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
lol yes please don't remind me

Sorry for reminding you ,
do you get the advertisements to the right side of the page ? The popcornews.com naked redhead is a nice lookie look. I’m sorry , did I stray off topic ? Did I make you forget what I reminded you ? LGI

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Pelech is also an example of Post Snow management helping the players improve rather than just criticizing them. The confidence he plays with is all on the new coaching staff. Until he got hurt, advancing the puck down that side when he was on the ice was playing right into his hands.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Our best defenseman, hands down. Such a rock back there. The fact that he doesn't really score either is almost a good thing since it should keep his next contract pretty reasonable.

Kind of weird how Pelech, who was drafted 2 rounds after Big Griff, essentially developed into the exact player we were hoping Griff would have become. Our elite defensive #2-type D.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I think pretty much everyone, especially after the playoffs so far, realizes what a shut down defenseman Pelech is - he’s under contract for one more year at $1.6M before becoming an RFA.

What do people think his next contract looks like? He’s basically a must-sign due to the impact he has on defense even without scoring.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think pretty much everyone, especially after the playoffs so far, realizes what a shut down defenseman Pelech is - he’s under contract for one more year at $1.6M before becoming an RFA.

What do people think his next contract looks like? He’s basically a must-sign due to the impact he has on defense even without scoring.
I really don't know. Defensive dmen just don't get a lot. Like 5 Million?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
happy birthday, you big balding stud of a defensemen you !!! Go out there and do your thing, and since its your birthday, feel free to pot a goal today !!!

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Real question: is Pelech the most important player on the team? We’ve seen how they looked when he went down (although he wasn’t the only player missing), but he’s back and poof, 6-1 in the playoffs and Varly back up over .930 SV% - just like he was before he went down. He seems to have the ability to singlehandedly shut down entire lines for a whole game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad