Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He’s so good at reading the play and breaking plays up with his stick. Islanders have not had a defenseman like him since Kenny Jonson although he’s not nearly the skater Jonson was.

I am going to compare Pelech to another Islander. One that you didn't appreciate perhaps as much when the Isles were winning cups, but looking back he was the quiet, underrated defender on those Cup dynasties. Ken Morrow. Pelech picked 65OA, Morrow 68OA. 2 terrific defensive D men that let their teammates shine, while they were quietly looking after the house.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
His gap control is just top notch. It's impressive to watch.

He's so rangy, he's a lot more mobile than most think. I hope this Achillies injury doesn't significantly impact his skating in a negative way. It may hurt his initial burst, but that was never a big part of his game. Hopefully the package of his length and smarts can compensate for any loss of explosiveness.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am going to compare Pelech to another Islander. One that you didn't appreciate perhaps as much when the Isles were winning cups, but looking back he was the quiet, underrated defender on those Cup dynasties. Ken Morrow. Pelech picked 65OA, Morrow 68OA. 2 terrific defensive D men that let their teammates shine, while they were quietly looking after the house.

I've made the comparison elsewhere, but I get heavy Vlasic vibes from Pelech. The old timers may remember Morrow, but the more contemporary comparison may make more sense to the youngsters on here. I actually don't remember Morrow all that well, the Jonsson reference is a lot more fresh for me as I saw so much more of him.

The Pelech-Pulock pairing is so reminiscent of Jonsson-Aucoin to me, it's kind of scary. Pulock wasn't the same without Pelech after the injury.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've made the comparison elsewhere, but I get heavy Vlasic vibes from Pelech. The old timers may remember Morrow, but the more contemporary comparison may make more sense to the youngsters on here. I actually don't remember Morrow all that well, the Jonsson reference is a lot more fresh for me as I saw so much more of him.

The Pelech-Pulock pairing is so reminiscent of Jonsson-Aucoin to me, it's kind of scary. Pulock wasn't the same without Pelech after the injury.
This is so true. Pulock was not as good without Pelech. Under Trotz they became the best shut down pair in the NHL last season. Morrow and Potvin were kind of like one Ying and Yan. Potvin was a great no doubt already before Morrow came into the league. But I am convinced Morrow allowed him to elevate his game even more. That's as good a Defensive pairing the Isles ever had. Yeah I am an oldie. I can recall those Islander dynasties when I was a fan of another team. It was a terrible feeling playing that team.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
This is so true. Pulock was not as good without Pelech. Under Trotz they became the best shut down pair in the NHL last season. Morrow and Potvin were kind of like one Ying and Yan. Potvin was a great no doubt already before Morrow came into the league. But I am convinced Morrow allowed him to elevate his game even more. That's as good a Defensive pairing the Isles ever had. Yeah I am an oldie. I can recall those Islander dynasties when I was a fan of another team. It was a terrible feeling playing that team.

as a 9-10-11, 12 year I thought the Isles would never lose. Looking forward to seeing Dobson playing a larger role whenever we see NHL hockey again.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
as a 9-10-11, 12 year I thought the Isles would never lose. Looking forward to seeing Dobson playing a larger role whenever we see NHL hockey again.
Do you remember those Isles teams? As an opposing fan, when I saw a game @ nassau coliseum I would recall thinking well that will be a L in the boxscore the next day. I used to hate the Oilers, they were so cocky under Sather. I was so satisfied when the Isles beat them for their 4th cup. What a team, what a time.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Do you remember those Isles teams? As an opposing fan, when I saw a game @ nassau coliseum I would recall thinking well that will be a L in the boxscore the next day. I used to hate the Oilers, they were so cocky under Sather. I was so satisfied when the Isles beat them for their 4th cup. What a team, what a time.
sure do and I was a wrecking ball John Tonelli the next day playing roller hockey...good times indeed

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
sure do and I was a wrecking ball John Tonelli the next day playing roller hockey...good times indeed
True team is what I recall. Tonelli, Nystrom, Bourne, Langevin, Sutter, Goring, Lane, heck I even remember Wayne Merrick? Every player was important on that team. Not just the stars.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
YeS player comp. closer to Morrow then Jonson. I’m old enough to remember some of the dynasty days although tv coverage was limited in my area as no cable tv in my area until 1987. My dad would usually take me to 1-2 games a season. Bossy was the first Jersey I ever got. Islanders were not on much free tv back in the early 80s. Watched a lot of Mets baseball back then as they were on free tv a lot. Nowadays it’s just hockey and football lost interest in baseball.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Is there any chance he returns this season, he's going to have 4-5 extra months to rehab.

He's a gamechanger. Though a rested Greene will be quite useful as well.

Reactions: buud and frankieboy

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Is there any chance he returns this season, he's going to have 4-5 extra months to rehab.

He's a gamechanger. Though a rested Greene will be quite useful as well.

I think so too. his D was always strong, but I felt like his offense was really coming along.

going into PO's with 7 legit NHL D would be a nice option, especially with Boychuk and Greene a bit long in the tooth.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Staple response to question on Pelech today on Twitter -

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
More went into this but the biggest impact of the season was losing our top pairing Dman.

25-10-3 with Pelech and 10-13-7 without him.

What's nuts to me is we are so deep but just didn't have his role/skill type to replace him. Insert Greene of course.

Reactions: buud

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Great news. He's probably already conditioning at Northwell. Gamechanger, as I said. He wont be playing 'real' games until 1st/2nd week of July. Thats 7 weeks, roughly.

scott99

May 13, 2005
He's become such a good shutdown Dman. You could tell the difference in the Isle's defensively when they lost him. Having him, Cizikas, Boychuck and Clutterbuck back, gives me a lot of confidence. Also, they can go 7 Dmen if they want. Pulock, Pelech, Leddy, Boychuck, Toews, Greene & Mayfield. Really solid D. Cizikas & Clutterbuck do a good job playing team D for the forwards and penalty kill.

Reactions: buud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad