Player Discussion: Adam Pelech

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Played the most last night on D for you guys..
He has become a real shutdown defenseman under this coaching staff and a big surprise ,,,

Reactions: dood

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015
I always liked Pelech except the day he passed on an open goal :D but he's really progressed.
Most of you guys like Mayfield better (cant compare those 2, i think they're too different) and Mayfield is DEF needed on our team, we REALLY need some size and roughness to keep opponents off of our goallies (we havent been great at that)

I dont know where im going with this but, i really like our D-men(the 6 who started game 1) and, i REALLY like they're being coached by Trotz!

Reactions: WangMustGo

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Played the most last night on D for you guys..
He has become a real shutdown defenseman under this coaching staff and a big surprise ,,,
i think he will eventually start showing a bit more offence too. he seems to be one of those guys that is hard on himself, and Trotz recognizes this, and has worked wonders for him, this year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Monster game tonight, he's been great all season. Easily our best and most consistent defender. If he ever adds offense to his game he'll be our #1 for sure (I don't expect much offense will come).

That 7 man dman draft in 2012 has been a huge plus for us, between all the guys we drafted we now have Leddy, Barzal, Beauvillier and Pelech on our roster

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He’s completely surpassed my expectations. He’s turned into a legit top pairing guy and has really gelled well with Pulock. Between these 2, Toews, Mayfield and Dobson, our D is in incredible shape for the long term.

Expansion is going to be one stressful time, that’s for sure.

Reactions: Macch

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He is the real deal, I started this thread and kind of had some idea we would become this type of player, of course I started the thread when either Flintstone or Rubble were running this team.

His biggest issue when coming was when he was turned around behind the net, that part of his game has improved. He is a top pairing guy now, and becoming one of the best defensive dmen in the league, I do think the offense will come, a guy that Trotz was instrumental in turning around is now the best all around dman in the league and that is Carlson... not saying that Pelech will have that kind of ceiling but Trotz has elevated a lot of guys in his 3 cities of coaching

And big credit for Garth Snow of all people on this, he was actually protected in the expansion draft and a lot of heads were shaking.

Reactions: davinhimself

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He is the real deal, I started this thread and kind of had some idea we would become this type of player, of course I started the thread when either Flintstone or Rubble were running this team.

His biggest issue when coming was when he was turned around behind the net, that part of his game has improved. He is a top pairing guy now, and becoming one of the best defensive dmen in the league, I do think the offense will come, a guy that Trotz was instrumental in turning around is now the best all around dman in the league and that is Carlson... not saying that Pelech will have that kind of ceiling but Trotz has elevated a lot of guys in his 3 cities of coaching

And big credit for Garth Snow of all people on this, he was actually protected in the expansion draft and a lot of heads were shaking.

I personally always thought the choice of protecting Pelech, might of had something to do with McPhee’s time on the Islanders. And McPhee being equally high on Pelech’s potential.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

The head shaking was more for how many draft picks he gave up including a first rounder.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Monster game tonight, he's been great all season. Easily our best and most consistent defender. If he ever adds offense to his game he'll be our #1 for sure (I don't expect much offense will come).

his positioning has been excellent. Plus skater for his size. I think there’s still room to grow

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think people here need more patience. I always thought Pelech was a future number 2 and had to defend him countless times because people judge so quickly. Pelech is a really solid smart defender and has the size to be effective for it. I just know we are going to have problems when Seattle gets into the league. We better trade for futures or something. There are at least 4 D we have to protect...I think Mayfield is gone.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
That 7 man dman draft in 2012 has been a huge plus for us, between all the guys we drafted we now have Leddy, Barzal, Beauvillier and Pelech on our roster

The draft itself was quite bad pick for pick but Garth saved it with excellent trades

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I think people here need more patience. I always thought Pelech was a future number 2 and had to defend him countless times because people judge so quickly. Pelech is a really solid smart defender and has the size to be effective for it. I just know we are going to have problems when Seattle gets into the league. We better trade for futures or something. There are at least 4 D we have to protect...I think Mayfield is gone.

I’d be curious to see what people think a protection scheme will look like. Do we have a thread for that?

badi

Jan 21, 2008
He has become a rock on the defensive part of the game which is great but ,
I have a hard time seeing any way he can improve on offensive numbers with no PP time ,,,

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
He has become a rock on the defensive part of the game which is great but ,
I have a hard time seeing any way he can improve on offensive numbers with no PP time ,,,

He will never be a points getter. A very steady, reliable defenseman is what he is and will remain.

BallinPB

Dec 18, 2018
I don't know the specifics of his situation but any chance Pelech is back by the time the playoffs might start which I would assume would be end of June early July?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I don't know the specifics of his situation but any chance Pelech is back by the time the playoffs might start which I would assume would be end of June early July?
Negative. Lamoriello said he’ll be back by training camp.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I miss hockey and saw this got bumped so random comment, pelech is like what Canucks fans thought tanev was. He’s gotta be top 5 in the Show in defensive ability.

I don’t really think it was coincidental that it looked as if our entire system fell apart when pelech went down

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Adam Pelech is the type of player that is invaluable to a team. Underrated, a terrific D man, and good on the cap. He won't score enough to demand a big buck, but his defence solidifies a D. A perfect pairing with Pulock.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Adam Pelech is the type of player that is invaluable to a team. Underrated, a terrific D man, and good on the cap. He won't score enough to demand a big buck, but his defence solidifies a D. A perfect pairing with Pulock.
He’s so good at reading the play and breaking plays up with his stick. Islanders have not had a defenseman like him since Kenny Jonson although he’s not nearly the skater Jonson was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad