Adam Oates Hall of Fame Worthiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Easily first ballot. I don't think this merits too much discussion. Despite not winning a cup, he was the best pure playmaker of his generation and possibly the best faceoff man of all time.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
We had a thread on this a few months ago. I'm not sure if he'll get in on his first ballot, but he's a lock to get in eventually. He's one of the top five or 10 playmakers from the past 20 years, he was a very good defensive player and penalty killer (despite not being the fleetest of foot) and a top-notch player in the faceoff circle. The only thing that might keep him out is his lack of playoff success. (Not only did he not win a Cup, he had several playoffs where he was invisible). The 2007 class isn't as strong as 2008 (Larionov is the only other marquee first-time candidate for 2007) so Oates should be first-ballot.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
He should definately get in and deserve it. If you compare him to say Ron Francis agreat player and sure Hall of Famer I believe he was similar to him but actually had a higher peak, (but a shorter career).

Putting it another way, as many know baseball has a much harder Hall of Fame to gain entrance to than Hockey does. Oates is good enough to get into the Hockey Hall of Fame if it's entry standards were as strict as Baseball's IMO.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
He'll get in and he deserves to get in. One of the best offensive players of the '90s, underrated in other aspects of the game. A great career.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
kmad said:
Easily first ballot. I don't think this merits too much discussion. Despite not winning a cup, he was the best pure playmaker of his generation and possibly the best faceoff man of all time.

First ballot might be a stretch, since he'll have to face Stevens, Francis, MacInnis and Messier ;)

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Bring Back Bucky said:
First ballot might be a stretch, since he'll have to face Stevens, Francis, MacInnis and Messier ;)
Nope. He retired two years earlier than all of those guys.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
moneyp said:
Nope. He retired two years earlier than all of those guys.

He played "last" year for the Oilers.. I read that guys who didn't announce their retirement until after the lockout would still be included in the class who last played in 03/04, i.e. Oates and the rest of em.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Bring Back Bucky said:
He played "last" year for the Oilers.. I read that guys who didn't announce their retirement until after the lockout would still be included in the class who last played in 03/04, i.e. Oates and the rest of em.
That's not the Hall criteria, though. The eligibility is from the point of retirement, not the last pro game played.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
moneyp said:
That's not the Hall criteria, though. The eligibility is from the point of retirement, not the last pro game played.

It's my understanding that the Hall is viewing these particular lockout greats as having retired last fall due to the fact that there was no season (which of course has never occurred before) I'm guessing I read it in the Hockey News, if I see the issue in the bathroom I will check my facts ;)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Traditional Hall criteria is that players are eligible three years after their RETIREMENT. (Witness Mike Bossy, who played his last game in 1987, retired in 1988 and went in the Hall in 1991). If they've changed that, I haven't seen anything. If the quartet who retired before the season started is eligible in 07, then Larionov and Oates will wait for 08. (By the way, am I the only one who expects Makarov to be inducted at the same time as Larionov?)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Yeah I've always been anb Oates fan. He centred two guys who hit 50 goals in 50 games. Hmmm now where's the common denominator there? To me he passed better than anyone not named Gretzky. Oates was very smart on the ice. He was a second team all-star in '91, and maybe he never won a Cup but he played in two finals. Somehow for some reason he never played on Team Canada? In '91, '96 and '98 he never got a look. Maybe his skating held him back.

And yes for sure I think he's a HOFer.

Ogopogo*

Oates is the 3rd greatest of all time. He will be in the hall for that talent.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Ogopogo said:
Oates is the 3rd greatest of all time. He will be in the hall for that talent.
Just to clarify on Ogopogo's behalf (before we get a series of posts on his comment), Ogopogo had Oates as the third greatest playmaker of all time in his list released in June. Typo, I'm assuming.

KOVALEV10*

With all do respect Ogopogo... I wouldn't say Oates is the third best playmaker of all time... Gretz, Lemieux, Orr, Beliveau and possibly Stastny were better. Still among the best though...

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Very bad actor, though.

Did you ever see the Bruins how-to video called "From Neely to Oates to You"?

It featured some painfully bad/stiff teleprompter reading from Oates.

But I definitely agree that he is HHOF-bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->