Adam Oates Appreciation Thread: YES!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
As always I'm right and everyone else is wrong sadly...

I do agree with the vicious hatred for Oates and his coaching. I do tend to give him credit for the confidence and don't believe Ovie would have automatically turned it around.

There was something horribly wrong with his game in the last 2 years under BB (10-11 he was flubbing shots everywhere..maybe wrist but who knows) and Hunter.

Its whatever. The best thing about Oates is probably that he got GMGM fired and led to bringing in a legit coach and a GM who addressed the D.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm going to have to "agree" with BR here. Not that I think Oates is a good coach, I don't (nor does BR). However, he wasn't a coach entirely devoid of positives, either. Heck, I don't really think he's any worse than Hanlon, but that's beside the point for now. It's amusing to see the stark contrast in Caps fans' perception of Oates between his two seasons in Washington. He was indeed lauded as an Ovechkin-whisperer, and the media lauded moving 8 to RW. People were happy he was going to Russia to hang out with Ovie and Kuznetsov in the off-season. It got to the point where when Laviolette was fired, posters here said (I won't link to the post to avoid shaming them) they'd be interested in hiring Lavi "if they didn't like Oates so much." The perception on Oates did a 180 swing in a span of a couple months, but it's important to remember what he did well initially.

The powerplay is obvious, even with the post-script rewriting that it's all Blaine Forsythe's idea (despite the fact that New Jersey used a 1-3-1 with Oates at the helm). The powerplay is also significantly different than what Boudreau used, which was an overload scheme during the young gun years and a very different 1-3-1 (with Ovechkin in the slot) during his final season.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
He was -35 under Oates. - ****ing 35.

I don't credit Oates with ****.

He didn't do anything with anyone on this team to give him any appreciation. Piece of ****.

Ovie did what he can do...I don't give Oates any credit for that.

I'll toss out Carlson....Oates decided to give Carlson the #1PP ice time and stuck with him even after 52 returned to the lineup. I said at the time Carlson just needed more time back there to get comfortable, he was given that time and his offensive play and confidence seemed to elevate around that time.....

could be total coincidence and/or just a matter of time but Carlson did improve a lot while Oates was behind the bench

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Its whatever. The best thing about Oates is probably that he got GMGM fired and led to bringing in a legit coach and a GM who addressed the D.
Yes indeed. (Even if Oates wasn't his hire to begin with.)

In that Oates pushed for Perreault to be moved and created the whole handedness fixtation that arguably led to Forsberg being traded then hell no. Those two moves put the Caps further away from a personnel standpoint and perhaps significantly so re: the later.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'll toss out Carlson....Oates decided to give Carlson the #1PP ice time and stuck with him even after 52 returned to the lineup. I said at the time Carlson just needed more time back there to get comfortable, he was given that time and his offensive play and confidence seemed to elevate around that time.....

could be total coincidence and/or just a matter of time but Carlson did improve a lot while Oates was behind the bench

Really? I feel Carlson regressed significantly under Oates. Probably his two worst seasons as a pro.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Oates was a disaster on many levels but as the Op pointed out, he did a few things right.

He helped Ovie get his confidence back and he was good with the power play.

That being said, really like Trotz so far and I am glad Oates is gone.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Yes indeed. (Even if Oates wasn't his hire to begin with.)

In that Oates pushed for Perreault to be moved and created the whole handedness fixtation that arguably led to Forsberg being traded then hell no. Those two moves put the Caps further away from a personnel standpoint and perhaps significantly so re: the later.

I wasn't aware
that Oates pushed for Perreault to be moved
I like MP and was saddened when he was traded. +/- -1

Forsberg looked pretty good in Nashville on Friday for a 20 year old. That one is going to hurt for a long time. -- -1

= Minus 2

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Can someone source that Oates wanted MP moved? I'm pretty sure it was about getting cap space to leave Wilson on the roster.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Can someone source that Oates wanted MP moved? I'm pretty sure it was about getting cap space to leave Wilson on the roster.

That is my understanding also, they needed the cap space to keep Wilson up and since Oates felt anyone could play center at the time Perreault was the odd man out in his lineup. I don't think it was that Oates necessarily wanted Perreault moved but since he didn't have a spot in Oates' lineup at the time he was the obvious one to move.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
it-might-be-time-to-have-a-recall-on-the-selfie-stick-25-photos-23.jpg

that looks like a left hand shot. LW for you, bud.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
That is my understanding also, they needed the cap space to keep Wilson up and since Oates felt anyone could play center at the time Perreault was the odd man out in his lineup. I don't think it was that Oates necessarily wanted Perreault moved but since he didn't have a spot in Oates' lineup at the time he was the obvious one to move.
Beagle would have gotten the job done IINM. Putting Fehr at center and then hardly dressing Perreault were the telltale signs that he was a goner. Maybe Oates didn't drive him out but his lineup decisions at the time made him into the obvious candidate when he didn't necessarily need to be.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Good Lord! Oates was such a ****ing tool. Thinking back on all the stupid **** that happened because of him, it really makes what Trotz has been able to do in 4 months pretty amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad